Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2019, 17:38   #16

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: What to do for college...

Not a good idea to try to live on a boat and go to school. It's a huge adjustment and you will lose lots of sleep...……...and many times be very uncomfortable
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 18:06   #17
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

I would swear I’ve seen post #1 before in the past. I’m not talking “kind of” I mean the exact one.
Old 19-02-2019, 18:10   #18

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 15.50

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
Don't spend money on a degree you don't really need or want. Find a trade that interests you and get ticketed. You can work virtually anywhere, pay is good and you make money while earning it rather than losing it. If you decide to advance past that (P.Eng/Arch in a variety of fields) you will have valuable first hand knowledge and experience most P.Eng seriously lack. If you take up carpentry or electrical for instance, you can eventually complete your Arch/P.Eng for either and become more specialized for boats if you decide to (shipwright/Marine Elec or Naval Arch etc). Don't take this that school/education is bad or not warranted; spend money on school when you know where its taking you.

rbk has a point. I did not have the opportunity to go to university/college and got a trade. I went back to school in my 30's and got a degree and after working in that field for 10 years went back to my trade.

Having a trade means always having work somewhere. No one is told at 48 that they are to old to work in their trade and so is unemployed. That happens often in the white collar world.

I am 59 now. If I wanted a job tomorrow in my trade I would have it. I have a Bsc in Comp Sci. The chances of getting a job in IT is slim to none.

In the end it is up to you but you will never regret getting a trade and then going to school if you so choose.

Good luck
Sailor 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 18:34   #19

Boat: Catalina Capri 14.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparx View Post
Jake, Welcome to the forum.

Email Captain Lauren of the Kalmar Nyckel for her perspectives. Then join the crew while the boat is in Lewes during the summer. Tell her Brent sent you.
Unfortunately not old enough to crew, but I saw there is volunteering for maintenance everyday up in Wilmington. Going to look into doing that some rainy weekend.
Jake Mundok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 18:49   #20

Something else you should consider when you choose a career is whether or not you can be outsourced to an AI.

Lawyers, doctors, engineers can all be outsourced to AI. Everyone with a hammer thinks they are a carpenter.

Pipefitter, steamfitter, plumber, sprinkler fitter, electrician, mill right ( not machinist dead trade due to cnc and cheap overseas), crane operator ( careful here. Lots of work no life) , refrigeration mechanic, electrical linesman, are all things that are not easy, perhaps impossible to move to AI, are all certified trades and all pay really good money, especially if unionized.

You get a trade in any of those and you have a job for life, and then you can go get a degree in engineering or what every you choose. No one can ever take away your trade. Most of those trades, if you get the actual certificate can be practiced around the world. Best of all you get paid to learn!!!

Cheers and fair winds.
Old 19-02-2019, 18:58   #21

First of all I'd like to thank you all for the advice and support you've shown. I've been looking at Texas A&M Galvaston and Florida Tech. TAMG has the has about a dozen Maritime and ocean degrees and the campus was right on the water. They both had club sailing teams which are a must on my college list. I like how some of you talked about how higher education impacts your outlook and problem solving positively after that education is complete.

The idea of getting a trade is very appealing especially with everything going digital and the every-growing demand. I'm thinking something in like electronics or diesel maintenance that could help me get on ships and help me on my own in the future.

Thanks Again, this community is truly amazing and I plan to stick with it till the end.
Old 19-02-2019, 19:00   #22

This is the dream, well said.
Old 19-02-2019, 19:00   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Mundok View Post
First of all I'd like to thank you all for the advice and support you've shown. I've been looking at Texas A&M Galvaston and Florida Tech. TAMG has the has about a dozen Maritime and ocean degrees and the campus was right on the water. They both had club sailing teams which are a must on my college list. I like how some of you talked about how higher education impacts your outlook and problem solving positively after that education is complete.

The idea of getting a trade is very appealing especially with everything going digital and the every-growing demand. I'm thinking something in like electronics or diesel maintenance that could help me get on ships and help me on my own in the future.

Thanks Again, this community is truly amazing and I plan to stick with it till the end.

Diesel mechanic good, electronics soon to be obsolete. There really is no one fixing elextronics now because everything has moved to micro processors and they can't be fixed. AI will take over circuit design and automation has and will continue to take over circuit building.
Old 19-02-2019, 19:45   #24
rbk

Boat: T37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Mundok View Post

No one has mentioned the love hate relationship of turning somehting you love and are passionate about into a job. Most times it doesn’t work out and can become tiresome and even detest the thing you once enjoyed. I’ve guided off and on over the years at various outdoor activities (certified) and it always seems like a nice idea making money while doing something you love, then you realize you’re a glorified baby sitter for idiots. It’s a very fine line to walk and having your own boat at your age may make it difficult to crew and take orders from someone who may also turn out to be a complete idiot. Also some of the wealthiest people I’ve met are self made with little to no formal education; just hard working, focused dedicated individuals with a splash or visionary. Best of luck.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 19:48   #25

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

G'Day Jake, and welcome to CF

You have received a lot of advice already, but in the true CF tradition, I'm gonna pile on some more!

First, do you envision a future where you earn your living doing something directly involving sailing? If so, consider that there are only a few such professions available. One is involving yourself in the super yacht crew/maintenance/managing orbit, like Pelagic mentioned above. To do that, some formal education is helpful, and a maritime college leading eventually to a masters license would be a good choice. The skippers of those boats are well paid, have what some consider to be a luxurious (if hard working) life style, often involving travel to desirable locations. The number of jobs is limited, and candidates plentiful, so not a sure thing at all! Usually need to work up through the system, starting low in the pecking order, even with good creds.

Another possibility is in pro racing. Formal training less important here, but a thorough grounding in racing is basic need. College level competition could be a start here, but no sure track. There seem to be an increasing number of racing teams with at least a few paid pros involved, so this isn't out of the question, but again, a kinda hard road to travel at first.

There are some paid positions in the tall ship circuit. Those require training in some esoteric skills unique to square rigged ships, and I think the only way to get them is by working as an entry level grunt or a volunteer at first. We just were involved in the Australian Wooden boat festival here in Hobart and there were six tall ships present, and they all had some paid crew, I believe.

Finally, there are careers in sail training... teaching at sailing schools or clubs. Less importance of formal training and in general less skill level required, but the pay isn't red hot and the employment is often seasonal... and ya gotta like teaching to have a good time.

Other posters have outlined plans for working in support roles for sailing, building, maintaining or outfitting yachts. There trade school type training is useful and those routes have been discussed. The universality of needs for electricians, refrigeration techs, electronic installers/system designers and so on are well established, and employment is reasonably assured if you are any good at the jobs... and they can fit in well with a cruising lifestyle.

My personal feeling is that university level education is a good foundation for the rest of your life. Your current love for the sailing scene may wane in time, and having a sound background would help you transition into some other lifestyle. I do agree that avoiding a huge tuition debt load is essential to being able to chose how you spend the first decade or so post Uni years... avoiding debt of all sorts gives you a big leg up towards independence to live how and where you chose, so consider a cash only economy for the next few years. You will be miles ahead of your peers if you do so.

End old fart rant!

Good luck with your choices, and good sailing.

Jim
Old 19-02-2019, 19:54   #26

Boat: Roberts 34

Hello, I’m new - I’ll post an intro later.

One thing you should do is start a logbook, record your hours/miles/duties and get the skippers sign-off. It will come in handy whatever you do.
Wyamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 20:34   #27

Get a trade, a skill, not a piece of paper that says you have a skilll.
When you have a skill that folks need you can name your price and buy all the folks with pieces of paper you want.....they're all for sale!
Refrigeration. Work anywhere in the world. More money per hour than most folks with pieces of paper make.
Just make a couple of calls and try and get someone to come fix the refrigeration system on your boat ( if you have one or not) and you will understand what I mean. Seriously....make a couple of calls!
Don't piss your money away. Blow some on fun, blow some on boats or whatever takes your fancy.....BUT ALWAYS STOWE SOME!!!!!
One day you will want to relax...the more you stowe the earlier you can relax.
Nope, not arguing with anyone, not looking at this post again.
God speed young man!
Allied39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 21:02   #28
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
No one has mentioned the love hate relationship of turning somehting you love and are passionate about into a job. Most times it doesn’t work out and can become tiresome and even detest the thing you once enjoyed. I’ve guided off and on over the years at various outdoor activities (certified) and it always seems like a nice idea making money while doing something you love, then you realize you’re a glorified baby sitter for idiots.......
Sad to hear you felt that way rbk..... Maybe you just got burned out or was in a negative working environment.

In the Superyacht business, you get all kinds of guests who arrive angry and frustrated about issues not related to you.
They can vent or overact and while hardest on the junior crew, usually stewardess, I advise that upset crew to just "kill them with kindness"
...cause that's the sweetest revenge.

Usually guests do a 180 and become friends with the crew member they gave a hard time to..... If not, I step in to support my crew.

I found that when I was a scuba diving instructor, I got stressed with the student who thought they already knew it all.
Probably thats what you got as a guide, but 9 out of 10 were a delight to listen to after their first open water dive.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2019, 21:12   #29
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I have several friends that decided to skip college and either work with boats or other outdoor pursuits. Both were top 2% of their high school class. At 58, both are bitter about the fact that they have no money and will have to worked steady until they drop.

I finished school, worked while climbing and sailing on weekends and holidays, and now I am semi retired. This is better. In the end I will have more play time and better understand it's value. They have sore joint and can barely maintain physical careers. Catching up financially is nearly impossible.

But your mileage may vary. Your 16. I know a lot more about me than I did when I was 16.

And who in the hell said that conventional work can't be fun?! Pick a career you like or even love. I've started doing some consulting again... because I like the challenge! Sometimes it's as much fun as sailing, sometimes even more. Love your work!

And control your spending habits. I wish I'd gone to few movies, bought fewer clothes, and less stuff. I've got too darn much stuff. Keep it simple.
Old 19-02-2019, 21:27   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I would swear I’ve seen post #1 before in the past. I’m not talking “kind of” I mean the exact one.
Me too.

But if this is a legit question, take a look at Eckerd College in Florida. It’s located right on the water. It has all kinds of water related activities including a search and rescue team with three boats. Go on google earth and search for Eckerd College. Take a look at all the water frontage they have and the number of docks up the Creek next to the college.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eckerd_College