Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2021, 07:44   #151

Boat: Moody 376
Re: What to do for college...

Jake, I too grew up in Lower Slower DE got an appointment to USMMA studied Marine engineering for a tick less than two years and was asked to leave. Wish I had gone the Deck route. but then My life would not be what it is today. and So far its pretty good.

Good luck. at SUNY get on the sailing team. I raced lasers and 420's at KP. and spent way too much on the rainbows tooling around when I should have been studying...
marcjsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 08:08   #152

Boat: Etap 38i

I'm going to add one last little bit of advice to young people who might be reading this...

Fundamentally, getting a sailboat and setting off to explore the world is an expression of the human desire for freedom. Different people express this in different ways. Some may get an airplane or RV instead of a sailboat. Others might want to move to a cabin in Alaska and live off the land. People who aspire to such lives are typically resistant, or at least unhappy with the round holes in which society tries to pound them.

When you take advice from us old folks, realize that the English speaking world you face will be quite different than the one most of us lived our lives in. Specifically, it will be much less free - and much more expensive.

College when we went to school may have been a 5,000-10,000 a year endeavor in learning how to think critically and appreciate the world. Today. It has become a 30,000 a year plus exercise in learning how to have approved thoughts. I say this as someone who holds an undergraduate degree from a top 25 university and a doctorate.

The bottom line is that the people in charge of English speaking societies today don't want you to be free. They don't want you to think critically. They want you to obey policy. They want you to be useful.

Just something to think about as you plan your life.
Cloroxbottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 08:21   #153

Since we're giving advice to our younger selves, I would tell a young person to make an honest inventory of their interests, real goals (not what parents want), and abilities. If someone has a strong interest in something, reasonable ability, and a desire to make that a career, at least initially... go for it.

I had ability and interest in physics and electronics in high school, but I also had a keen interest and part-time work in hands-on electronics. I enrolled in engineering, but bombed out because of weak calculus and no desire to be a desk-jockey, and I went on to have a successful and satisfying initial career in electronics repair, installation, systems. Had I been more honest and realistic about my goals and abilities, I would have gone to technical college instead - out sooner, with more training that was in line with my interests and goals.

And no I don't agree with Cloroxbottle about present universities. We are in a time of transition and tension. Yes there's a certain amount of elite groupthink going on in universities, but there's also a battle with the old guard (us) and our many failures as we went from idealistic young people to old, selfish, self-satisfied boomers. And pulled up the ladder after us.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 08:39   #154

Boat: Bristol 27 #335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Since we're giving advice to our younger selves, I would tell a young person to make an honest inventory of their interests, real goals (not what parents want), and abilities. If someone has a strong interest in something, reasonable ability, and a desire to make that a career, at least initially... go for it.

I had ability and interest in physics and electronics in high school, but I also had a keen interest and part-time work in hands-on electronics. I enrolled in engineering, but bombed out because of weak calculus and no desire to be a desk-jockey, and I went on to have a successful and satisfying initial career in electronics repair, installation, systems. Had I been more honest and realistic about my goals and abilities, I would have gone to technical college instead - out sooner, with more training that was in line with my interests and goals.

And no I don't agree with Cloroxbottle about present universities. We are in a time of transition and tension. Yes there's a certain amount of elite groupthink going on in universities, but there's also a battle with the old guard (us) and our many failures as we went from idealistic young people to old, selfish, self-satisfied boomers. And pulled up the ladder after us.
My story is sort of the reverse of this.

I couldn't have cared less about electronics or (the computer systems that would soon follow) but when I signed up for the military my options after testing were basically Air Traffic Control Radar/IFF Tech or Marine Grunt (infantry)

The only reason I qualified for the Tech Schools was due to my math ability. (because I knew nothing about electronics) I even later in college before switching to History completed Calculus 1, 2, and Differential Equations.

It was a natural (nature as in nature vs nurture) talent. I didn't study the stuff when I was young or something like that besides what they taught in High School.

Those two MOS's had $2500 bonuses and I wouldn't join unless I had a chance at a bonus because I needed to pay off my car and the boat I bought at 17 years old. You had to pass the school though to get the money.

So I finished the Radar course the first time in 1976 and I'm still doing this stuff except now it's flight simulators but now I basically manage the techs both hardware and Cyber Security.

The point I wanted to make with this is that many times with their testing the Military can tell you what you are the best qualified to do even when you as a teenager may not know.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 09:01   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
The only reason I qualified for the Tech Schools was due to my math ability. (because I knew nothing about electronics) I even later in college before switching to History completed Calculus 1, 2, and Differential Equations.

It was a natural (nature as in nature vs nurture) talent. I didn't study the stuff when I was young or something like that besides what they taught in High School.
I had a small gift (ability), and a strong interest took me the rest of the way. But I've met guys like you, who take up a tech field (eg electronics or software) just for something to do... and absolutely kill it. You guys made me crazy...
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 09:05   #156
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect
...And pulled up the ladder after us.

As I watch my adult kids , ainít that the truth.
Old 01-07-2021, 09:13   #157

Boat: Bristol 27 #335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
I had a small gift (ability), and a strong interest took me the rest of the way. But I've met guys like you, who take up a tech field (eg electronics or software) just for something to do... and absolutely kill it. You guys made me crazy...
Sadly though today there isn't much electronics as in need to know knowledge on how to troubleshoot because things are so reliable these days and if it does break the chips etc are so small it's almost impossible to repair in the field so you just order a replacement.

Over half the techs here have computer and cyber skills (certs) but very little knowledge of straight up electronics.

This is why I found solar so refreshing when I put it on my old boat. It's pretty much just straight up DC electronics for the most part, fairly simple but fun (most times anyway) to observe and keep running
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 09:33   #158

Boat: recently sold: 1984 Aphrodite 101 Hull #264
Send a message via Skype™ to NormanMartin

My dad was a graduate of that school in '44, I think. Served him well. It was called Ft Schuyler then.

I used to race wednesday evenings off City Island when KP and NYMaritime had boats racing. Good kids.

Good to have watched this story play out.
NormanMartin is offline   Reply With Quote