Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2020, 07:31   #1

Boat: Alberg 37
USCG Transfer of Ownership

Hello all-
I am in the middle of purchasing a documented vessel. I was told that the transfer process right now is taking 8-12 weeks and the boat will not be officially transferred to our names until the application process is complete. Is anyone familiar with this process? So from this information, I gather I cannot take over the boat/slip until this is complete, am I reading this correctly? Any information will be helpful! Thanks!
kaa2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2020, 07:58   #2

Re: USCG Transfer of Ownership

Your ownership of the boat is distinct from the Federal "documentation" of the boat, or of a State titling or registration of a vessel.

Documentation is merely Federal titling and registration, it is not ownership, nor is it actual proof of ownership. Documentation avails perfection of mortgagee liens associated to a vessel and thus aids in financing. Additionally, Federal documentation conveys nationality to a vessel [i.e. "Flagging" under UNCLOS].

There are often delays in the processing of agency procedures and filings, whereas ownership transfers when the contractual terms are complete. And there are specified periods of time after a change of ownership upon which notification of ownership transfer has occurred before the new owner has to register or document the change in ownership.

Your momentary situation is rather similar to having title [ownership] to property but not having yet deeded the title, or having patenting of the title, or recordation of the title.

The agreement as to use or ownership of a slip in a marina is a separate contractual arrangement and should not be delayed or become a factor of either the ownership of a vessel that is placed in the slip, or as to completion of Federal documentation, or as to State registration.

If you own the vessel than all rights AND responsibilities, obligations and liabilities associated therewith are yours, including where and how it is moored. The conveyance of ownership, leasing or rental of a slip is another matter entirely.
Montanan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2020, 08:02   #3

Boat: Catalina 320

Copies of the bill of sale and request for transfer of documentation are your proof of ownership until transfer complete. Boat is yours at close of sale, slip is another matter specific to the marina. Most places here have a wait list for slips and don't allow transfer with sale of the boat.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2020, 08:14   #4

Boat: Pearson 35

I'm in the midst of this process myself. Not sure the circumstances of your purchase or locale, but when buying and relocating my new-to-me boat the broker indicated that the USCG Bill of Sale (form CG-1340) is my proof of ownership while the CG-1258 Application for Exhchange of Certificate of Documentation is being processed (the 8-12 week process of which you refer).

The general instructions on the first page of the Application, dowloaded from the USCG National Vessel Documentation Center site, indicates that "interest in a vessel may be transferred by the last documented owner on the reverse of the original/copy of the Certificate of Documentation. Signature of seller(s) must be acknowledged before a notary public."

Hope that helps, but would seem to me you have couple options to establish "ownership" while the Exchange of C-of-D process runs its course.
gstepler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2020, 08:42   #5

Boat: Alberg 37

Thanks y'all for the replies and for helping with clarifying. Makes more sense now! Cheers!
kaa2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2020, 09:34   #6

Go to www.maritimedocumentation.us for info. I used them for my certificate. I received it in one week
gfrazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2020, 10:13   #7

Or go straight to the Coast Guard instead and skip the middleman.
https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Our-Organiz...tation-Center/
They are currently processing exchanges made Sept. 17, about 4-5 weeks looks like.
https://content.govdelivery.com/acco...letins/2acbb34
Old 16-11-2020, 11:59   #8

Montanan? Where in Montana?
larsfforsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2020, 12:37   #9

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

The CG delay in processing is not a new thing because of Covid btw. It always was slow, maybe a bit slower now but not by much.
Old 16-11-2020, 15:09   #10
Marine Service Provider

That's probably about right, most government agencies are backlogged. You might consider state registering it (if you can do that quicker) in order to hand onto the slip if that is your main concern. State registering an already USCG documented vessel automatically terminates the documentation. Yes, Dorothy you can't have both. Most people don't believe that.

To re-document her will be about the same process and about the same cost as transferring her with the USCG documentation intact. Send in your state registration papers with your documentation paper work when you are ready.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2020, 15:33   #11

Just make sure your broker, as a part of closing, does the “abstract” to ensure there are no liens or other encumbrances.
Stmurray62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2020, 16:28   #12

Boat: 1977 Bodega 30

I just went through this process as well. All handled online nowadays. I submitted the ppwrk electronically 9/16, my cc was charged for the transfer fee on 9/30 and I received the new COD in the mail last week. Had no problem getting insurance and slip with just a photocopy of the notarized COD/Bill of Sale from the previous owner.
EricJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2020, 22:37   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

Be aware that this is the official government website for vessel documentation:
https://www.dco.uscg.mil/

This is NOT:
USCG Documentation Services | Online Vessel ...maritimedocumentation.us

I made the mistake of using "maritimedocumentation.us" for a simple renewal and paid 300% of the USCG fee.

Does anyone know how MaritimeDocumentation gets the USGOV to work faster???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-11-17 at 7.33.46 AM.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	270.6 KB
ID:	227086  
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2020, 11:40   #14

Quote:
Does anyone know how MaritimeDocumentation gets the USGOV to work faster???
I don't think they are faster, currently processing renewals from 5 days ago, the following is from CG website.
RENEWALS (INCLUDING WITH CHANGES) - 12NOV20
Simple renewals have always taken just a week.
Old 26-01-2021, 10:58   #15

Registration

Please tell me, can anyone know the procedure for registering a sailing boat in Israel.: banghead:
Glow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ownership