Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2014, 15:33   #16

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner
Re: Something for less

Nearly all my transaction with members on this forum have been with Personal Messages, both as buyer and seller. This avoids the public discussion so often interrupted by people who have not intention of buying, but have an overtly strong opinion of an items worth.
Of course, there is another reason for needing a reduced price, apart from simply trying to get a “great deal.” That is when you can’t actually afford something, but want it badly. I bought my first boat, back in 1976 along these lines.
We were looking for a live aboard and I had located a superb Endurance 40, but it was listed at 25% more than I could possibly pay. I therefore had nothing to loose but to tell the owner my true situation, and ask him if he was interested. Evidently it was the right time for us, because he accepted and we bought the boat.
I didn’t consider this either a low ball offer or a steal. It was just a simple statement of fact, which the owner had a choice to make, yes or no.
Another method I learned from someone, and which I’ve employed since:
I was selling my Rolls Royce, and a person came to look at it and never even mentioned price or offers. I though I was on a winner, until he calmly asked me to give him the lowest price I was happy to sell the car for. He would then simply say okay, or walk away, with no further negotiation. This floored me, but after thinking about it, it struck me as being much more gentlemanly than barefaced haggling. I give him my figure and he bought the car.
I bought my present boat that way, although the broker nearly swallowed his teeth when I told him. I eventually received a figure, which I was happy with, the only caveat being a survey—which I was decidedly not happy with—so I declined to go further. The broker came back and said, “Make an offer then,” and I replied, “No thanks, that wasn’t the agreement.” A month later he came back with a second lowest price, and forewarned with the survey I accepted.
As we say in the old country, “there is more than one way to skin a cat.”
Old 14-05-2014, 15:44   #17

That is the way I work as well.

I have found the best way to succeed in business is to always leave something in the deal for the other man, as well as for me.
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2014, 05:09   #18

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner

Great philosophy Olaf. I’ll remember that.