Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2017, 17:53   #46

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Small Stuff Adds Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Sometimes I wonder why I even try, I must hate myself some and this is part of my punishment
I was going to make the same observation Don, but didn’t know how to put it without offending. You seem a glutton for punishment when it comes to all this financial neurosis. I’m glad to see you’ve come to the same conclusion .

Here’s a thought … how about going a whole month without fretting about every dollar that gets spent. Just live, and enjoy. I’m not saying go nuts. I’m just saying you might find greater joy in this life if you’re not always brooding over money all the time.
Old 04-09-2017, 18:02   #47

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Sometimes I wonder why I even try, I must hate myself some and this is part of my punishment
Maybe you should not take your experience so seriously?
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 18:07   #48
CLOD

Boat: none

I'm not fretting at all!!!!!!!!! If anyone is fretting it's other people!
Old 04-09-2017, 18:10   #49

Boat: Bristol 47.7

I didn't think you were. In fact, I was just thinking that, of all the people who may read this thread, start fretting, and then opt to spend a bunch of money trying to "improve" their systems (), Don might be the only one who's apparently going to wind up saving $500! Gotta love the irony.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 20:37   #50

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

Boats are expensive just like houses.

I always operate on the principle that I will pay now or pay later for items on my boat. I almost always opt to pay now, because paying later may be a giant hassle or nearly impossible in some remote corner of the world.

I have found that I do a significant refit about every five years in a great nautical location with the full knowledge that it will be expensive, but if done right, it will give me five relatively trouble free years of sailing. I don't like things breaking down offshore or in remote locations.

We cruise on $500 to $1000 per months when we are offshore and in remote areas, but the real cost is much greater because we are amortizing the refit expenses while we cruise.

I have no idea how much it costs to keep, maintain, and run Exit Only. I think I might get depressed if I kept track of what it cost.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 21:13   #51

Boat: Catalina 470

The day to day living isnt that expensive for me, its my crazy need to make the boat better. It does my head in knowing something could be done more efficiently, there's no end when you have this mind set, sometimes good enough is really good enough.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 03:23   #52

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
If one wants to hang out at a dock on a boat for retirement along a narrow stretch of the ICW and call it cruising then worry about every dollar spent, that's great!

All those years of planning ..................I guess when some of us get old it's hard to unhook the dock lines

I haven't gotten the impressions SB is worrying about money, just trying to do a service for other members by reporting costs he's encountered along the way.

??

And as I understand it, he unhooked his dock lines somewhere up north, so I think he's apparently been -- dare I say it -- "cruising" -- for quite some time.

-Chris
Old 05-09-2017, 03:44   #53

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
I haven't gotten the impressions SB is worrying about money, just trying to do a service for other members by reporting costs he's encountered along the way.

??
Really??

$1.49 empty spray bottle (if you don't keep a few around you should)

$5.35 gear oil for the outboard
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 03:53   #54
cruiser

Thomm,

Sailorboy departed from Salem, Massachusetts last year and is now waiting out the hurricane season. He's doing the numbers to help other members understand the real costs of cruising his way, our numbers would be different.

Nuff said.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 04:20   #55

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
Boats are expensive just like houses.
I still believe you can enjoy owning a boat without spending a lot of money.

I have about $8,500 in my boat which includes a new outboard, new mainsail, 100 Watt Solar Panel, three Solar Controllers, two inverters, autopilot, Compass (one of my old GPS's failed), jackline, harness, and tether

Then I may have spent about $1,500-$2,000 over the past six years for maintenance to include two bottom jobs, one topside paint job, impellers, oils, stanchion (that I still haven't replaced but did epoxy over the mounting holes), one bilge pump, and two replacement batteries.

This money also includes bringing the boat back from being on the hard for 5 years unattended after the PO cruised it from Massachusetts to Florida and the Bahamas.

I have yet to replace the rigging or any of the thruhulls. I'm using all the old instruments that came on the boat and the old anchors (a CQR and a Bruce) and rode. I'm also still using the PO's docklines

At this point I'm sailing/"cruising" the boat within a 100 X 30 mile area on the Chesapeake Bay to see how it performs plus I'm still working

Coming back yesterday there was practically no wind so I motored with the 5hp outboard for about 20 miles at speeds around 5 knots ( I had the tide) and it was a beautiful clear sunny day. A very nice return trip on autopilot!
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 04:28   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
I used to hate myself. Then I found others could do a far better job and for less reason..

On that basis, I left it to them.

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 04:36   #57
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
I still believe you can enjoy owning a boat without spending a lot of money.

I have about $8,500 in my boat which includes a new outboard, new mainsail, 100 Watt Solar Panel, three Solar Controllers, two inverters, autopilot, Compass (one of my old GPS's failed), etc

Then I may have spent about $1,500-$2,000 over the past six years for maintenance to include two bottom jobs, one topside paint job, impellers, oils, stanchion (that I still haven't replaced but did epoxy over the mounting holes), one bilge pump, and two replacement batteries.

This money also includes bringing the boat back from being on the hard for 5 years unattended after the PO cruised it from Massachusetts to Florida and the Bahamas.

I have yet to replace the rigging or any of the thruhulls. I'm using all the old instruments that came on the boat and the old anchors (a CQR and a Bruce) and rode

At this point I'm sailing/"cruising" the boat within a 100 X 30 mile area on the Chesapeake Bay to see how it performs plus I'm still working

Coming back yesterday there was practically no wind so I motored with the 5hp outboard for about 20 miles at speeds around 5 knots ( I had the tide) and it was a beautiful clear sunny day. A very nice return trip on autopilot!
Congratulations, you win.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 05:21   #58
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
I used to hate myself. Then I found others could do a far better job and for less reason..

On that basis, I left it to them.

you don't even need "others", all you need is an other
Old 05-09-2017, 05:57   #59
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

SB.. What is needed is a $500/mth white trash sailor to do a similar monthly budget so we can compare.. No fancy shower, water heater and sump pumps but a solar shower bag and cockpit drain.. that kinda basic sailing **** that was the norm for sailors once upon a time.. and still is for some.
I can not as I gave my boat away this weekend.. but I'm sure there's still one or two members left on CF who practice this approach.
Not knocking folks choices.. each to their own in my book..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:08   #60
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
SB.. What is needed is a $500/mth white trash sailor to do a similar monthly budget so we can compare.. No fancy shower, water heater and sump pumps but a solar shower bag and cockpit drain.. that kinda basic sailing **** that was the norm for sailors once upon a time.. and still is for some.
I can not as I gave my boat away this weekend.. but I'm sure there's still one or two members left on CF who practice this approach.
Not knocking folks choices.. each to their own in my book..
I've asked them to do it many times. The whole reason I post the numbers is because you can find lots of "I cruise on $X", but few that tell what is in $X or sometimes more important what isn't.