Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2017, 06:36   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Small Stuff Adds Up!

Now Boatie I know you didn't mean it, but the term White Trash is as offensive to many as a word can be.
So before people get upset about it, Boatie didn't mean to offend I'm sure.

I feel pretty sure that Sailor Chic has posted her costs more than once
She seems to be able to maintain on a low budget.
That is what many if not most of us have a hard time believing, not that you can't have a few months of very low expenses here and there, but to continue for years has to take some luck and skill at stretching a dollar every way it's possible.
I say luck as one fall that breaks a leg of hip or something, and that will I'm sure be a budget killer as it would for us all.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 07:23   #62
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Small Stuff Adds Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Now Boatie I know you didn't mean it, but the term White Trash is as offensive to many as a word can be.
So before people get upset about it, Boatie didn't mean to offend I'm sure.
I'm comfortable being white trash with money and wasn't offended. Let's not carry ridiculous PC along
Old 05-09-2017, 07:32   #63

Boat: Beneteau 38 first

guys not that long ago I was broke, credit up the butt.

I knew I wanted to retire so I had to get a handle on it, so I started a spreadsheet to track expenses, well that kind of worked but was a huge pain in the butt....

I found YNAB it's a program for all your devices to budget money. When I got it it was a one time purchase, now I think it's a subscription model.

but here's how it works
every time you have money that comes in you budget where it's going to be spent/saved. So you return bottles and get 5.00 you enter it in your phone, put it in a category ie. rent, car payment, eating out....

on your way home you want to stop at McDonald's first you check your "eating out category" is there enough in it to get your bigmac? if so go otherwise you can't afford it...

Doing this for years I don't owe anyone any money (other than the house) and I know where every penny goes because before I spent it I planned where it was going.

as a side note if you have credit cards/loans with a balance take a look at what you pay in interest each month, before I got my crap together I had to work 4 1/2 days a month just to pay the interest!!!

ok what does this have to do with what sailorboy posted?

I budget what I'm going to spend on the boat before I spend it.
OK but how?

When my check comes in the first of the month I sit down and give every dollar a job.
so it goes something like this...

3000 income
budget 400 food
budget 200 gas
budget 100 for boat insurance (1200yr/12 months)
do this till you have all that 3k preplanned

Now when I go shopping for food I know I have 400 for the month it's right on my phone. when I get my card out to pay I get my phone out the same time and enter the amount it my phone as the clerk is running my card simple.

What I have found over the years is that having an amount in a category to look at before I spend it keeps me from the spend it now and worry about it later. Also now I preplan for things like Christmas boat upkeep.

So if my shore powercord goes belly up tomorrow it's ok because I have planned for things like that.

Bob
snokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:06   #64

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Congratulations, you win.
Thanks!

But it's not about winning (unless you're a racer), it's about enjoying your time on the water

I've just always liked either the old full keel boats or the fast Beneteau First type sailboats since I got into sailing to race back in the day

The weather during this passed weekend though was so nice it really didn't matter which type boat you were sailing/motoring. It was just nice being out on the water

Add the kayaking, hiking, and watching the folks enjoying fishing off the beach/pier only made it better
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:21   #65

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
I used to hate myself. Then I found others could do a far better job and for less reason..

On that basis, I left it to them.

Kinda handy really, since you probably never liked them anyway. Win, win all the way around.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:24   #66

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
What is needed is a $500/mth white trash sailor to do a similar monthly budget so we can compare.. No fancy shower, water heater and sump pumps but a solar shower bag and cockpit drain.. that kinda basic sailing **** that was the norm for sailors once upon a time.. and still is for some.
I can not as I gave my boat away this weekend.. but I'm sure there's still one or two members left on CF who practice this approach.
Not knocking folks choices.. each to their own in my book..
As a sailor that is also into history, I'm thinking the $500.00/month guy is doing it (cruising) much closer to the way it was done in the past.

The problem these days though is that most of us are so dependent on the internet that it could be a very tough adjustment if you didn't have it. Also, if you are sailing singlehanded you probably should have AIS and maybe radar (or that's what I'd have before cruising long distance solo) and make sure those systems stay functional

Then there's the adjustment to sleeping on Alps Mountaineering Self-Inflating Pads that some of use over the 40 year old cushions that are on our boats

Another problem would be trying to stay on a decent diet

This guy, the $500/month White Trash Guy or $500/month Educated Guy that is experimenting, may need to plan ahead and stock up his boat for a several month cruise then head back to his home base so to speak which for some may be the best way of cruising to avoid the boredom......
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:41   #67
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Another problem would be trying to stay on a decent diet
Very much depends where you are cruising, Southern Europe you can eat far healthier for so much less than you'd spend further north. Bags of fresh fish and veg from the market. Much tastier, much healthier , much cheaper.

Maybe treat yourself to a couple of Euros of some quaffable wine while you're at it.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 09:49   #68
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
$85.22 oil and fuel filters for the main, including a couple of spares and a spare seawater impeller

$31.62 drinking water filter for the sink, including a spare

$15 for a new rolly cart (that was a great buy)

$29.99 for a thermostatic mix valve because the hot water is just way too dangerous at it's temperature

$50.32 fittings to install the mix valve, zinc for outboard, fuel filter for the outboard

$1.49 empty spray bottle (if you don't keep a few around you should)

$5.35 gear oil for the outboard
Well Lets see
Oil and filter for the Rose $22, add a $25 impeller off ebay and oh look I saved nearly half off Don's oil and filter and impeller costs.

I don't have a water heater, water filter or rolly cart, so no costs for that.
Varnish was $22 a quart at the hardware store compared to $40 a pint at worst marina.

New led anchor light $10, plus a free kraft Parmesan cheese container and a zip tie.

Spray bottle, I have a old free one I use that use to have glass cleaner in it $1 from the dollar store and it came with cleaner.

I did buy a used Relogy 30 amp PWM solar charger controller off ebay for $25. Normally $85. It works well enough.

I also installed rubber mat under the v-berth mattress this year. Spent $4 instead of $144 and it works really well.

New smart phone $40, and it saves me $25 a month on internet. Using it now tethered to pc.

No outboard so no gear oil, fuel, registration, etc

Two years ago I purchased a $15 12v solenoid on fleebay instead of a $150 marine one. Still working and yes I did look at it's specs.

SO for this poor $600 a month sailor, It's about careful shopping, looking at alternates, and not having lots O systems.

Not picking on ya at all Don, just saying there are ways to save money on maintenance for the low end sailor/cruisers.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 10:19   #69

Boat: Beneteau 38 first

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Well Lets see
Oil and filter for the Rose$22
that's pretty cheap just my filter costs 10-15 FRAM PH2821A

Bob
snokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 10:29   #70
CLOD

Quote:
Well Lets see
Oil and filter for the Rose $22, add a $25 impeller off ebay and oh look I saved nearly half off Don's oil and filter and impeller costs.
No you didn't. Mine included 2 spare oil filters, spare fuel filter, spare impeller and o-ring. Price to have these on the boat for when needed (and they will be) ...............PRICELESS

BTW - my OEM seawater impeller is $19.73. You need to shop on-line better
Old 05-09-2017, 10:32   #71
cruiser

Quote:
Well Lets see
"Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
$85.22 oil and fuel filters for the main, including a couple of spares and a spare seawater impeller"

Don purchased multiples of each item, not just one of each. He was planning ahead and actually spent less.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 10:34   #72
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by snokid View Post
that's pretty cheap just my filter costs 10-15 FRAM PH2821A

Bob
Good lord, never buy FRAM. I get mobile one or wix for $8-$12, gallon of oil Shell T3 (good for two oil changes) for $15 at a farm store.

BTW a 99 mazda miata oil filter is a perfect match for a yanmar 3gm30. For Yanmar impeller, I search on the 22799-0001 jabsco part number. About 1/2 price of the yanmar item.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:39   #73
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
No you didn't. Mine included 2 spare oil filters, spare fuel filter, spare impeller and o-ring. Price to have these on the boat for when needed (and they will be) ...............PRICELESS

BTW - my OEM seawater impeller is $19.73. You need to shop on-line better
I actually have several gallons of oil and three additional sets of oil and fuel filters and impellers. Most purchased in bulk years ago or when I see a good deal.

Gee who knew I was such an uptown girl.
Old 05-09-2017, 10:43   #74
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
"Don purchased multiples of each item, not just one of each. He was planning ahead and actually spent less.
OH YES, So now I'm the one wasting money and still living at the $600 level. I should buy some shoes....... OK just kidding, I still have at least another 6 months on the current pair of flip flops (I have a spare set of flip flops too )

Edit: YES I carry more then one set of filters too. Just when I use one, I go out and buy another so I always have multiple spares.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:07   #75
CLOD

Quote:
OH I should buy some shoes.......
Shoes, SHOES, you have shoes?

Are they glass and are you missing one?