Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2017, 06:06   #31
cruiser

Re: Small Stuff Adds Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bucknut View Post
This thread grabs my attention for a few reasons. Expenses are all relative based on income and your definition of need. A rolly cart for sailorboy may be a need for others it's a luxury. Cleaners and convenience items that replace elbow grease and low cost alternatives for the exterior and interior appearance is all about what your definition of need is. How about reusing the empty spray bottle from the cleaner instead o buying a new empty? Clean up and reuse hardware. It may bug you to have 2 Phillips and an oddball straight head screw but buying a box of 6 screws to have new and consistent is a need for some and a luxury for others. i can drivel on and on, but just because for one a new fancy widget ( and the expense of mainting it) is a must have for some does not make My or any other boat derelict for not having it.
This philosophy can be also be taken too far.... like a couple of years ago when some guy was telling forum members how to fold, dry and re-use toilet paper.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 06:15   #32

Boat: Gulfstar Sailmaster 47

If you don't spend much, you don't have to make much.
DirtRdEarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 06:25   #33
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtRdEarl View Post
And... you don't need to worry about having much.
Old 03-09-2017, 06:35   #34

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Frankly, I can appreciate SailorBoy's original thought. That the "Small Stuff" that one does not give much thought to can add up to a very Pretty Penny quite quickly/unexpectedly. For what its worth, we have been tracking all of our spending with Quicken since 1995. Virtually every expenditure is entered into the "books" every day or at least few days. Expenses are categorized and ours, for the yacht, has sub-accounts for Equipment and Supplies, Repairs and Replacements, spare parts, etc., etc. etc. While I am a "fix-it" guy (if I can fix it why replace it) like many others, even that approach can add up. E.g. I needed replacement bushings for a starter motor. They cost, at the local Auto Electric Shop, about $0.15 each. Unfortunately, the motor is European and so the bushings were not available locally. The manufacturer kindly offered to send us a supply at "no charge". The bushings were free. Shipping ended up costing $21.00!

The point is that many, contemplating a boat, do not consider incidentals in their "Can I afford the Maintenance and Repair Costs" calculation although such costs do add up quickly and can throw a budget sideways.

We are fairly conservative folks. We have had a rule of living on half or no more than 2/3rds of what we make since college days, and that because of how, relatively, well we lived while in college on little money and, once out in the "real world" saw no sense spending a heck of a lot more or, as some do, living up to our incomes which increased substantially after college and graduate school. Consequently, we have good reserves, and can afford what we want, within reason, when we want it. We managed to get our daughter through college (4.5 years) with no debt and, fortunately, she has somewhat adopted our ways.

N'any case, IMHO the attitude: "don't sweat the small stuff", at least aboard a yacht, can prove a real tripping stone that more than a few stumble over. No?

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 10:40   #35

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
This philosophy can be also be taken too far.... like a couple of years ago when some guy was telling forum members how to fold, dry and re-use toilet paper.
Did he have a composting head?
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 11:48   #36
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Did he have a composting head?
I believe he had one.
Old 03-09-2017, 12:41   #37

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
But isn't Sailorboy dockside? (which is much of the reason his budget is so high especially dockside on the Southern East Coast ICW)

I'm thinking with a bit more experience he will soon understand how to cruise while spending less.
???

I've never thought of cruising and "dockside" as antithetical...

Would have thought he's allowed to define the way he wants to cruise...

-Chris
Old 03-09-2017, 14:47   #38

Boat: '86 Catalina 25, swing keel

Quote:
If it comes to that, you may as well go ove the side and use a wash cloth.
Captain Bucknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 15:49   #39

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtRdEarl View Post
Quote:
And... you don't need to worry about having much.
Yes … on both counts.

Our strategy involves both having little, but also needing little. It’s not something new for our boat life. It’s been a constant approach to our life in general.

What do you really need for a fulfilling life? Everyone will have a different answer, but I know what works for me
Old 03-09-2017, 16:15   #40

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
What do you really need for a fulfilling life? Everyone will have a different answer, but I know what works for me
BEER.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 18:25   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
???

-Chris

I'm actually just down the dock from him myself, sitting out this season and enjoying air conditioning during the hottest time of the year, and hopefully somewhat weather protected.
Just me, but I don't think cruising has to be miserable, and this far South this time of the year, middle of the day is just that without AC.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 22:20   #42

Boat: Catalina 470

My dad always said " look after the pennies and the pounds look after themselves".....When I was in business I was always to busy shuffling the pounds around to worry about pennies, huge bills and big incoming = lots of stress.
Now I'm trying to re adapt to my dad's philosophy, the one that originally got me the pounds.

I agree the little stuff adds up and its easy not to count.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 13:41   #43

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
???

-Chris
Sure he can!

If one wants to hang out at a dock on a boat for retirement along a narrow stretch of the ICW and call it cruising then worry about every dollar spent, that's great!

All those years of planning ..................I guess when some of us get old it's hard to unhook the dock lines

I'm thinking if you are sailing from place to place and you spend a few bucks to make each crossing, that's something worth spending money on and I'm doubting your average sailor would complain about money spent

Just on my weekend cruise, I had recently replaced the impeller, oil, and shift connector linkage on my outboard and I sure wasn't complaining about the money spent when I had to cross the 20 miles of open water today under power.

I think I spent like $40.00 or maybe $60.00 on those items ..........somewhere in there

To each his own though.

Enjoy.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 14:20   #44

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 42e

There is no way I would Ever make a list of all small expenses. I know its huge sums but it feels better to not know (My wife would go bananas if show knew the actual cost...)

My tip is to spread the costs on all your different budgets/accounts/credit cards.

Feels better in the soul and a zero sum game in reality.
Mr.Feeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 17:33   #45
CLOD

Boat: none

Sometimes I wonder why I even try, I must hate myself some and this is part of my punishment