Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2024, 22:46   #1

Sailing Job Mentor

Hi Sailing Sweethearts!
I hope that you’re doing magnificent!
How do I find a mentor to help me find a good job on a private (not corporate) ship and to help guide me with business questions?
Thank you for any help! I appreciate it so much!
Sail2Hawaii369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2024, 00:11   #2

Re: Sailing Job Mentor

Also, I’m seeking to be a massage therapist on a ship because I have experience in massage for caregiving, but I need more information and I am open to learning if there are other options.

In addition to experience in caregiving, I have experience in operating an organic homegrown food ranch (very different from traditional gardening! It was learning the science of medicinal plants), horse ranch work (one on a ranch feeding and watering 21 horses) and being a personal assistant for a medical doctor. I’m looking to build experience at sea, now, though. Previous ones were chosen for building physical strength because I enjoy health and fitness.
Old 01-02-2024, 13:03   #3

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

This probably isn't an especially good forum to get help with what you're seeking. Private, not corporate ships brings to my mind the super yacht industry. And there are a number of training organisations geared towards that.

If I could though suggest that in explaining your background, the reader will immediately recognise a lack of relevance in what you proffer. Few ships have farms whether cultivating plants, or animal husbandry, be they old school or organic.

Not sure either what you mean by Previous ones were chosen for building physical strength because I enjoy health and fitness. Previous ones, what does that refer to? Don't we all hope to enjoy good health and fitness? So I would also encourage you to read any post you draft and read it back carefully, and in doing so ask yourself would anyone else reading it understand it.

Perhaps you offer attributes such as hard working, dedicated, loyal, honest, well groomed and presentable, no criminal background, drug/alcohol free, handle oneself well under stress, team player etc. I would list my attributes.

And consider the skills that a prospective employer would be interested in and drawn to, for example engineering, navigation, fluency in another language(s), sea miles, nautical qualifications, ...

And I would also include the basics, age, nationality (passport), health, location, location you want to work, work history.

What I am suggesting is post a very brief CV. Good luck.
Old 01-02-2024, 14:04   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
This probably isn't an especially good forum to get help with what you're seeking. Private, not corporate ships brings to my mind the super yacht industry. And there are a number of training organisations geared towards that.

If I could though suggest that in explaining your background, the reader will immediately recognise a lack of relevance in what you proffer. Few ships have farms whether cultivating plants, or animal husbandry, be they old school or organic.

Not sure either what you mean by Previous ones were chosen for building physical strength because I enjoy health and fitness. Previous ones, what does that refer to? Don't we all hope to enjoy good health and fitness? So I would also encourage you to read any post you draft and read it back carefully, and in doing so ask yourself would anyone else reading it understand it.

Perhaps you offer attributes such as hard working, dedicated, loyal, honest, well groomed and presentable, no criminal background, drug/alcohol free, handle oneself well under stress, team player etc. I would list my attributes.

And consider the skills that a prospective employer would be interested in and drawn to, for example engineering, navigation, fluency in another language(s), sea miles, nautical qualifications, ...

And I would also include the basics, age, nationality (passport), health, location, location you want to work, work history.

What I am suggesting is post a very brief CV. Good luck.
Thank you so much for taking the time to help me! I appreciate it immensely! I was advised to get experience on a ship and I was interested in getting ideas of where to begin to build skills. I have cruised from Canada to Alaska 3 times, CA to Southern Mexico, SC to the Bahamas and sailed locally off of the California coast but just as a passenger. I’d like to live on a cruising ship, asap. Only experience leads to knowing what will work, though.

Tags
men, sail, sailing