Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2021, 12:52   #1

Boat: 80 Hunter 33' & 79 Catalina 27'
Looking for mechanic and sailing mentor/captain

I just bought a 1980 hunter 33' in Sarasota/Bradenton area in my quest to learn to sail. Looking for good mechanic and captain in the area to learn from, go through the mechanics, do some work on her, then go out with for sailing, fishing and scubadiving destinations. I'm half way through my divemaster, so getting pretty serious about that as well.

She's located in a marina on Cortez near Bradenton Beach (but not Bradenton Beach Marina, thank God). I've sailed on this boat before so I at least know its worthy despite it's age. It's been outfitted and permitted for the Caribbean and new engine swapped which has less than 200 hours on it.

Going to do the following in February, myself, but I'd like someone experienced to look over my shoulder to provide more seasoned knowledge. I realize it may take longer, but have a time crunch, so motivation to get it done. My brother is coming to help with labor, maybe another guy friend as well. I have cash set aside to hire someone to do anything I cant figure out on my own:

Week 1:
Engine tune up
Flush water tank
Flush fuel tank
Change oil/fluids
Send sails out to be mended/replaced

Week 2:
Rudder - fiberglass repair
Scrape & clean bottom
Check seals, hoses, pumps, connections

Week 3:
Bottom job
New sheets/running rigging
Cleaning up
Stocking up
Heading out

I also just bought a 27' Catalina in Alaska, so will be heading up there come spring. The universal has 90 hours on it, tanks need flushing and most everything needs to be gone through, including new sail. If you have a used sail, I'll pay cash if it's in good enough shape.

Plan is to sail 360 when they're fixed up until I can get a captain's license.
Jerami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2021, 12:30   #2

Boat: Hobie 16
Re: Looking for mechanic and sailing mentor/captain

Hello,
I may be able to help. I have done most of the tasks you listed in those three weeks, and I am a natural sailor happy to see it done right.
I would require a small fee so, if you are interested to learn more about my experience and abilities let's pm each other and I will put together a resume.
Thanks,
Andy
Hobieandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2021, 17:36   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobieandy View Post
Hello,
I may be able to help. I have done most of the tasks you listed in those three weeks, and I am a natural sailor happy to see it done right.
I would require a small fee so, if you are interested to learn more about my experience and abilities let's pm each other and I will put together a resume.
Thanks,
Andy
Thank you for reaching out. I'll make sure it's worth your while and message you with my number.
Old 18-01-2021, 18:07   #4

Also, as far as sailing destinations - my intention is to sail to Dry Tortugas, then to Key West, where I want to keep her moored up., until I can make it across to Cuba, then Mexico, assuming travel opens up...
Old 23-01-2021, 05:19   #5

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

Flush / disinfect the water tank yourself, throw in 2 ounces (1/4 cup) of Clorox laundry bleach (unscented) for every 25 gallons in the tank, top off tank with water, after 2 days, drain half of the tank into your holding tank by running the toilet continuously until the water tank is half full. Run each faucet for a few minutes to fill the lines with the chlorinated solution. Wait 5 days, then pump out the holding tank, then again run the toilet until water tank is near empty, run each fixture a few minutes, then refill water tank with clean fresh water.

As to fuel tank, just call these guys:

Services
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
captain, mechanic, men, sail, sailing