Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 19:25   #1

Boat: Hunter E33
Returning a New Boat

New to the whole cruising world and frankly, I'm sick of it already. Starting to think that it's not the dream, mostly due to loss of confidence in my boat. It's a new hunter e33 and was very excited to get it after much research into what would fit my needs.

From day one, it's issue after issue. And I'm not talking about little things here; major engine oil leaks, 2 starter solenoids burned up, 2 engine control panels replaced, in mast furling setup incorrectly due to bad dealership. This last one almost killed people. Commissioning took forever, dealership sucked, been towed multiple times. Called lawyers twice because i was blatantly ripped off. Etc, etc.

This all to say, what's the precident of returning a new boat? Its not worth it, just can't deal anymore...
GreggL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 19:30   #2

Sounds normal for the marine industry. Seriously. You are getting some valuable education regarding being more skeptical of the claims of the typical buffoon in the industry. Your experience should be smoother once you can get some distance from the scoundrels. Hang in there.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 19:32   #3

Boat: 28Ft Piver Encore, Tri-Maran, Anchored in San Diego.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nemo55
Re: Returning a new boat

Buy used and you will have a proven product Either Way....

https://nemo1955.blogspot.ca/
Nemo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 19:38   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggL View Post
New to the whole cruising world and frankly, I'm sick of it already. Starting to think that it's not the dream, mostly due to loss of confidence in my boat. It's a new hunter e33 and was very excited to get it after much research into what would fit my needs.

From day one, it's issue after issue. And I'm not talking about little things here; major engine oil leaks, 2 starter solenoids burned up, 2 engine control panels replaced, in mast furling setup incorrectly due to bad dealership. This last one almost killed people. Commissioning took forever, dealership sucked, been towed multiple times. Called lawyers twice because i was blatantly ripped off. Etc, etc.

This all to say, what's the precident of returning a new boat? Its not worth it, just can't deal anymore...
Really sorry about your troubles. I don't know anyone who successfully returned a new boat.

One thing people don't realize is that almost all boats are a collection of parts from vendors bolted on to a hull made by a company.

Engine, mast, winches, furlers, electronics, electrical systems and cabin equipment are all just parts.

The builder is really an integrator and in reality all boats are sort of a one off. How well the integration goes is very dependent on how well the builder integrates and then how well they backup the warranties from all the suppliers.

Best advice is to continue to chase the warranty claims and get things sorted and if you feel the same prepare to sell it on at some considerable loss.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 19:39   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

There was another poster on here a while ago that complained about his Hunter dealer doing very shoddy work. Only his dealer was in Vancouver, BC. Maybe call Hunter head office and let them know how unhappy you are.

Is there a Hunter user's group?
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 19:48   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz
There was another poster on here a while ago that complained about his Hunter dealer doing very shoddy work. Only his dealer was in Vancouver, BC. Maybe call Hunter head office and let them know how unhappy you are.

Is there a Hunter user's group?
Thanks, and yes there is a group on sailboat owners.

My dealership absolutely was horrific, and that's being reasonable. Im a first time buyer and didn't even get a proper walk thru education, been on my own and had to hire instructors all the way through. Shoddy work caused major malfunctions and could have lead to loss of life. Thankfully it didn't but I cant help wonder what else is going to go wrong. God help the next poor soul that buys from them and doesn't know what to do in an emergency.

Btw it's the hunter dealer on south shore long island, without naming names.

I spoke with hunter head of sales Greg Emerson, head of service Eddie Breeden and head of dealerships; all were pretty much worthless in helping. Had to pay for my boat to be moved from the dealership due to my lack of experience at that point. Had to call yanmar directly to handle service work because control panels were setup wrong. Was blatantly ripped off and have attorneys looking into. Etc, etc, etc...

I'm afraid to sail at this point and don't know what to do. every time it's pure terror.
Old 12-08-2012, 19:50   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif

Really sorry about your troubles. I don't know anyone who successfully returned a new boat.

One thing people don't realize is that almost all boats are a collection of parts from vendors bolted on to a hull made by a company.

Engine, mast, winches, furlers, electronics, electrical systems and cabin equipment are all just parts.

The builder is really an integrator and in reality all boats are sort of a one off. How well the integration goes is very dependent on how well the builder integrates and then how well they backup the warranties from all the suppliers.

Best advice is to continue to chase the warranty claims and get things sorted and if you feel the same prepare to sell it on at some considerable loss.
Thanks. I've been all over the warranty stuff, and fortunately have had luck contacting manufacturers on my own.

On the other hand, my dealership installed systems incorrectly and is required to fix them. This is the problem, they don't respond, and even if they did, I'm afraid because I don't trust their work.

Don't know where to turn.
Old 12-08-2012, 19:55   #8

Boat: csy 37

i don't wish to seem unkind at this point, particularly because you sound sincere about your cruising dream. but i must ask you what previous sailboat experience you have.

if you have little, then i think you may have made too big a jump into the sailing pool. i've met a number of people in the past forty years who have the dream but no real world experience and little handle on reality. there's just so much you can learn from research and reading.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 19:55   #9

Boat: 28Ft Piver Encore, Tri-Maran, Anchored in San Diego.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nemo55

No one can walk your mile, but if it where me,i would have the boat hoisted and then parked on top of the dealership manager/owners fine automobile.
And then get my refund less depreciation.

https://nemo1955.blogspot.ca/
Nemo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 20:09   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37
i don't wish to seem unkind at this point, particularly because you sound sincere about your cruising dream. but i must ask you what previous sailboat experience you have.

if you have little, then i think you may have made too big a jump into the sailing pool. i've met a number of people in the past forty years who have the dream but no real world experience and little handle on reality. there's just so much you can learn from research and reading.
It's not unkind, I completely understand. As far as sailing larger vessels is concerned, I made a jump from sunfish and lasers to a precision 18 then to an oday 23 then to this hunter 33. This is my first cruiser for sure though. I run a summer camp for children which specializes in waterfront activities particularly sailing so I've been around it my whole life.

I'm us sailing certified, a joint pilot engineer master for new your state, public vessel certified, own other power vessels in the 40 and 50 foot range for my business. All this to say, I know boats in and out. I don't believe it's my inexperience in the field, and going from all those to a hunter 33 does not seem to big a leap, I certainly would expect more problems from power cruisers.

I honestly believe my dealership rushed commissioning. In addition hunter marine with all the current problems with bankruptcy has their hands tied and isnt making things happen for customers. Bad business in my mind.
Old 12-08-2012, 20:11   #11

Boat: Sabre 42
That sucks man, I really hope you can get thru the birthing stage, because then the fun starts. When I bought my boat I had only been on a sailboat once 6 or 7 years prior... my dealer didn't tell me anything about the boat and I basically figured it out myself. 5 years later and I know her pretty well, because I'm too poor to pay someone to do stuff I can probably figure out.

Every time I've taken her out, something has failed or broken. Not always small things, steering cable broke, house battery was toast (no instruments for 5 days without engine running), air leak into fuel supply, sails breaking... but I know every time I go out that I can deal with stuff way more calmly and easily.

Most of the issues are my fault, so I don't blame the boat... she's teaching me. When the house battery was toast, I could have swung back to the harbor and gotten a new battery, but I decided to sail anyway. I used a solar panel and an iPhone to navigate... worked well enough.

Talk to the ybaa about your dealer... they are pretty strict with brokers and the punishments are pretty intense. Good luck.
Old 12-08-2012, 20:12   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo55
No one can walk your mile, but if it where me,i would have the boat hoisted and then parked on top of the dealership manager/owners fine automobile.
And then get my refund less depreciation.
Good plan, I could probably get the boat hoisted and placed on the car before I got a reply about my issues. From both hunter and the dealership, that's the shame. Blame is all around and no one taking responsibility. What's the plan of attack here?
Old 12-08-2012, 20:16   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticGringo
That sucks man, I really hope you can get thru the birthing stage, because then the fun starts. When I bought my boat I had only been on a sailboat once 6 or 7 years prior... my dealer didn't tell me anything about the boat and I basically figured it out myself. 5 years later and I know her pretty well, because I'm too poor to pay someone to do stuff I can probably figure out.

Every time I've taken her out, something has failed or broken. Not always small things, steering cable broke, house battery was toast (no instruments for 5 days without engine running), air leak into fuel supply, sails breaking... but I know every time I go out that I can deal with stuff way more calmly and easily.

Most of the issues are my fault, so I don't blame the boat... she's teaching me. When the house battery was toast, I could have swung back to the harbor and gotten a new battery, but I decided to sail anyway. I used a solar panel and an iPhone to navigate... worked well enough.

Talk to the ybaa about your dealer... they are pretty strict with brokers and the punishments are pretty intense. Good luck.
Seems like we're on the same page. It's every time I go out, another problem. My thoughts are though, this early in the game I'd expect more customer service from hunter and the dealer, especially since I'm young and would've probably bought more boats down the road.

Tell u one thing, never a hunter again! they're motto of "we go,the distance" is crap. I had my attorneys contact them and they still didn't budge.
Old 12-08-2012, 20:22   #14

Boat: Valiant 42
Hi Gregg,

I'm sorry you are having problems. I haven't seen any details in your posts about the problems so it is hard to give advice on the technical matters. You could try describing one or two of the bigger problems and maybe someone can help you.

When you bought this boat did you know Hunter was part of a bankruptcy? Your lawyers may find the answer to that useful.

Dan
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 20:29   #15

Boat: 43' Vista Aft Cabin 'Victoria"

I am not giving you legal advice. If Hunter is in Bankruptcy as you state, I would suggest contacting the Trustee. His job is to protect the creditors of the corporation, and as a warranty holder you are protected as well (assuming you purchased after the filing). If the trustee does not act (he will) you can file a pro se motion with the court yourself, the court clerk will assist you in all probability.

Good Luck, hang in there.