Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2017, 12:16   #46

Boat: Dufour 385
Re: Most important thing to a new boat owner?

Pete7,

Good point. I have great confidence in my surveyor, less in the broker.

Bob
Bunnellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 12:21   #47

Ciao, Cabo Jim,

We're pulling the boat with lots of attention to hull and keel. Thanks!

Bob
Old 17-05-2017, 12:22   #48

AJ_n_Audrey.

Thanks!

Bob
Old 17-05-2017, 12:24   #49

zedpassway,

What I relief! I was using 50%! Just kidding. I do have a reserve for the surprises, must-haves, and my-wife-says-so.

Bob
Old 17-05-2017, 12:54   #50

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laika View Post
Make sure the seacocks are in good order; make sure the rig and sails are in good order; make sure the engine is in good order and you know how to change filters and bleed the fuel system. Then get out there and sail the thing and learn as you go.

As is said, "keep the water out and the mast pointed up."

Have fun!
Good advice, but I'd also add: 'Keep the pointy end to the front'.

Also heed ded reckoners post: Before you start going too far, check and service everything you possibly can, leaving all the tools you used in so doing onboard. You'll not only know that they're OK today, but when the day arrives that any of them are no longer so - and believe me, it will! - you know where to look, how to get at them and have the right spanners aboard to do something about it.
bobnlesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 13:29   #51

Boat: Morgan 381 38 feet

You will find many things the survey missed and you will spend more time and money than you expect bringing the boat up to your standards.
twig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 14:22   #52

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Do not hurry, but if it is time to go or to do, do not hesitate for any reason but safety.
Old 17-05-2017, 14:29   #53

Boat: Jeanneau 371

Here we go again about divers and hull cleaning! I've owned and sailed in the Med for more than 35 years and never needed a diver to clean/inspect the hull!
I have used a diver to retrieve a hatch a charterer had lost over the side but that's all. Oh yes, yachts regularly run aground, but don't often sink 'cos of it.
Deltasailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 14:37   #54

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30
Unhappy Re: Most important thing to a new boat owner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnellr View Post
Hello, Friends,

(I am an American, and if the reference to Jim Nance doesn't work, I apologize. I've not posted before, but I have read a lot of posts, garnering good info. Hence the greeting.)
I am buying an ex-charter (2006 Hanse 400E) in Palma (de Mallorca), current French flag. Full survey will be done in two days. I am in the process of becoming resident in Italy. My wife is British. Current plan is to register in Gibraltar, because we can. Then move the boat to Siracusa, Sicily over an indeterminate time along Spanish, French and Italian coasts.
Question for all if you have the time: What are the things I should most worry about as a new boat owner? Please pick one and let me know. If you have time to pick two, grazie mille!

Bob
Gibraltar is outside the EU VAT area, can you as residents in Europe sail a Gibraltar registered boat in the EU?
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 15:22   #55

Boat: Bavaria 38 Cruiser, 12meters, 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnellr View Post
Hello, Friends,

(I am an American, and if the reference to Jim Nance doesn't work, I apologize. I've not posted before, but I have read a lot of posts, garnering good info. Hence the greeting.)
I am buying an ex-charter (2006 Hanse 400E) in Palma (de Mallorca), current French flag. Full survey will be done in two days. I am in the process of becoming resident in Italy. My wife is British. Current plan is to register in Gibraltar, because we can. Then move the boat to Siracusa, Sicily over an indeterminate time along Spanish, French and Italian coasts.
Question for all if you have the time: What are the things I should most worry about as a new boat owner? Please pick one and let me know. If you have time to pick two, grazie mille!

Bob

My only qualification to answering this question (as I know there are far more experienced than I on this forum) is the fact that the mistakes I made as a novice boat owner are still fresh enough in my mind to feel the pain. You don't give a lot away as to your experience. One of the most important lessons I have learned is that sailing is like flying, if you are cautious with regard to weather, navigation and the basics of sailing, the most dangerous in terms of damage to both boat and pride is docking and leaving the dock or mooring, I have several memories of getting the boat crossed up in a marina berth and damaging the toerail as I tried to extricate the boat, not being able to free the helm which I'd lashed down after letting go the swing mooring, anchoring over the top of someones discarded towel and finding my boat had disappeared round the corner because I hadn't given enough of a pull back to check holding. Things like that. Given that like you I had bought a production boat that was basically sound the biggest glitch in the whole enterprise is you. Take it quietly, take it slow don't be too adventurouse until you have the skill levels to match the conditions you must get practiced in anticipating. Go well.

Ok having realized there were a lot more posts and more information, it seems there is no shortage of experience- it's just the ownership issue. In which case it's all about building confidence and experience with fixing things and anticipating having to fix things before they get you into trouble. Know all your systems inside out, use forums like this. Ask advice, do as much yourself and if you can't, be there when the pro is fixing it. Remember you won't always be two minutes from the best diesel engineer this side of the black stump- one day you will have to fix it, or the electrical problem, the sanitation system, the rigging failure that can't wait till the next marina. Cheers.
Kerry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 16:27   #56

Boat: Freedom 38

Sail it like you own it (i.e., make sure you learn/know your systems inside and out)!!
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 18:08   #57

Boat: Farr 1020

Quote:
Originally Posted by laika View Post
Make sure the seacocks are in good order; make sure the rig and sails are in good order; make sure the engine is in good order and you know how to change filters and bleed the fuel system. Then get out there and sail the thing and learn as you go.

As is said, "keep the water out and the mast pointed up."

Have fun!
Good summary here, but the BIG lesson to add to this is:
Do not mistake a tradesman for a professional!
Lots of people make a living from playing with Other folks boats, pretending to know what they are doing. Ensure the ones you pay are worth the money and are doing necessary things. e.g. Mechanics will pull something apart because it was the first thing they thought of, replacing bits because it might work. Learn to do it yourself, talk to a dozen folk first and seek help to do it, not someone to do it - unless you have a large enough bank balance.
Roger
Djarraluda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 19:25   #58

Boat: Dufour 35 Classic

Download very possible user manual for every bit of gear you can, from bilge pump to masthead wind transducer.
I have the manuals for the Volvo Engine, saildrive, all nav gear, pumps, stove, everything loaded in pdf form on both an ipad and on the kindle
I have hard copies in laminated sleeves in a manual on the boat
If anything breaks or fails to function, you will be able locate the instructions etc
I have often spent time on board repairing something with the manual displayed on either the kindle or the ipad, and of course we have the printed copies as well.
Practice replacing things like fan belts and filters on the engine before you need to.
Have spares for things that wear out, belts, filters, strainers as well as a selection of spare hoses. Have a few spares for every type of hose clip on board. We carry a spare pump, macerator pump for the head, bilge pumps, pressure pumps and the like.
inspectr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 12:41   #59

Boat: Wauquiez 43 PS

Hi
I bought my first, and probably last, yacht three years ago. Unless you are a millionaire, I have come to understand that this is a true vocational experience and you must reconcile yourself to giving up most of your free time, if not your entire life, and a significant part of your bank account to the upkeep and maintenance of your boat. To do otherwise will in my opinion represent a huge investment with a diminishing return.
I would also recommend that you never assume the experts know everything as quite frequently they do not; never be reticent about asking questions and have faith in your own instincts.

All the very best
SJFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 13:22   #60

inspectr,

Excellent. You think like I do. Double electronic backup on all technical information AND a water-protected hardcopy.

Bob

Tags
boat, import