Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2012, 17:41   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Re: Making money off other cruisers

I suppose it all depends on where you are. The only guy I met that reliably made money was a decent sailmaker/ repairer. I have worked in the marine industry my entire life (made all the money to buy my house, boat, cruise, etc) and made about $100 in 4 years of cruising. People just aren't looking to spend money in an anchorage somewhere and if it's an emergency another cruiser will likely step forward to help for free.

I think maybe if you were in a particular port for say 6 months you might be able to hook up a few projects, but if you're actually cruising (moving your boat around) you'll not find much.
Old 13-04-2012, 17:44   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais

The real trouble is people you hire should be best of breed else you may not come out ahead. Somebody really good will fix it right and send you on your way. Someone else will sort of fix it and then be on their way. It isn't that they are dishonest it's just you don't have to be that good to be better than most.

Somebody better than you are may be helpful but may not be worthwhile. You can find exceptional talent in the Cruiser community but not every trade in any far away place you might be stuck in.

Look for exceptional talent everyplace (especially if you are not cruising yet) and take advantage of bone fide people when you find them and expect to pay and be happy when it's cheap. It means don't put off things. Making the right person be there at the exact time you need them is not a percentage game. Given the choice always hire the best person no matter the price. Knowing who is the best takes a lot of homework. The marine trades are not easy if done 100% right.

Most people buy used boats and find stupid things done by previous owners. Bottom line: Most people doing their own work shouldn't! This descends from the hypothesis that you don't have to be that good to be better than 80% of the people out there doing it. Being better than most boat owners is not worth to paying for!
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 18:20   #18

Protection Racket for Cruisers....

IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 18:49   #19
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch

I put a fuse box in and wired all the old nav lights in a older cat 30 for a fellow in the keys. While running wires I noticed a 1" hose to a seacock with no clamps. I mentioned it daily for 2 weeks and he always replied "its only the macerator". I told him that his boxes of crap would slide across the bilge, pop the hose off and he would sink. He felt closing the seacock was the best option, clamps not required. A week later he sailed to Ft. Meyers.
This was auto heater hose as well.
Another quality owner repair.
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 18:55   #20

Send a message via Skype™ to CharlesFCook

Anyone ever need computer help?
CharlesFCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 19:33   #21

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

@In Training............While any vet could, with the proper vaccines, perform valid vaccinations of your pet, you would be better served to go to a vet certified in the country you have been residing or cruising in who can perform the necessary vaccinations and provide the official forms required by the US Customs Pet and Wildlife Division. This will help make re-entry into the US go more smoothly, as documentation must be provided from the country you have been in. The Pet and Wildlife Division's policy is to treat pets re-entering the US the same as pets coming into the US for the first time. If you have all the documents in order and if your pet is healthy, you should be able to bring it into the country without quarantine.
Old 14-04-2012, 06:30   #22

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

A skinny, double-jointed midget with 5' arms and prehensile feet could make a fortune out here...

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2012, 06:51   #23

Boat: Tartan 30

Insurance sales?
Old 14-04-2012, 12:50   #24
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"

I'm a marine engineer/mechanic and have numerous other associated skills. When I'm cruising I offer my services free in anchorages to cruisers and locals but during off seasons I get a work permit for the country I'm in and charge accordingly.
When cruising I will generally receive payment in kind (offered, not asked for) but have been disappointed by the odd, obviously wealthy, cruiser who seems to think it OK to have their watermaker or some other item repaired and not even invite us for sundowners.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2012, 18:21   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel
Now that I come to think of this probably a knowledgeable boat electrician may survive too - I see plenty of people having no idea of what is going on in their alternators / chargers / gensets, etc.. The bigger the boat, the more help they tend to need.

b.
This answers a post I made a few hours ago. I'm an electrician & gasfitter, and was wondering if I could support my cruising by selling my services. I think that Boatguy30 has a point, too; the more time spent in a given location, the better the prospects will be.

Incidentally, I've spent the last 10 years exclusively installing and servicing back-up generators in mostly residential applications. Unfortunately, I don't think my gennie skills will translate...res gennies are almost all gaseous fuel (NG/LPG) rather than diesel.
Lovnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2012, 22:17   #26

Boat: Beneteau First 42

When I first read the title, I thought this thread was about piracy...
Old 18-06-2012, 22:57   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinous View Post
I still think it is.
I think there is some misconception between cruisers and those on a sailing holidays. I am not a qualified diesel Mechanic, but have helped rebuild 2 motors in situe, lots of good company and alcohol. I have lost count of fault finding and fixing of OB motors, good comp[any and alcohol, And the best time of all was an english couple whose male half hurt his back and every one chipped in and wet sanded and Painted Their cats anti foul that was best BBQ I have been too with a bunch of cruisers who looked like smurfs.{blue anti fouling dust and paint }.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2012, 23:01   #28

Boat: Moody 425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinous View Post
Yep come to Sydney also,
Plenty of pirates here willing to happily lighten boat owner's wallets
chall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2012, 11:31   #29

Boat: Grady White

How about using and understanding radar and gps. Like teaching someone how to program the vcr.
Maineripple is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
money