Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2015, 07:17   #1
Sponsoring Vendor

Making long term cruising more flexible and affordable

I own a go anywhere 35.5 ft steel gaff rigged cutter. I am attracted to long distance passage making and the leisurely living aboard in the lovely unspoilt areas made accessible through the passage making. My wife sails but is definitely not interested in crossing oceans. She is happy for me to do that and happy and able to crew on day sails in the cruising area.

I am sure that I am not the only person who is in this situation. I am looking for feedback and advice around the following idea. In an ideal world, I would like to meet three like minded individuals. Again in an ideal world they would purchase their share of the boat and maintenance costs. The boat would be great on an ocean crossing with three or four crew. At the other end, the ocean crossers would move to more of a time share arrangement within the cruising area until the time came to move on. People could take off home for a few weeks at a time and come back with their partners to cruise and day sail.

Speaking off the top of my head it could look like:

Spring 2016 cross Biscay and position for the Med or get there through the French canals.
Remainder of 2016. Cruise east in the Med and overwinter there.
2017 Cruise west in the Med to position in the Canaries for a trans Atlantic crossing
2018 Cruise the West Indies and position outside hurricane zone for a
2019 Panama transit and Pacific crossing

The benefit of such a set up is shared costs and responsibilities along with an ability to get back home knowing the boat is in good hands etc.

Has anyone ever been part of such a setup? Where would be the best places to contact such like minded individuals if they are out there?

All input gratefully received.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Willie@VoyagingYachts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, long term cruising