Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2022, 09:26   #1

Boat: Nimble Artic 26
Looking for work to build the Kitty while cruising

I am about to start cruising.

I have worked in computers & software for several years. So I have been able to make some money to fill the kitty, but not enough to cruise the rest of my life.

While I am working. I will work a contract until it ends, I get laid off, quit or fired, then look post on Monster or Career builder. I'll be inundated by recruiters calling asking if I want the job they are trying to fill.

After a month or more of this I will get an interview with the recruiter's manager, then a hiring authority and their team, then possibly get hired and get a contract.

So I am wondering if I can do this. Cruise until I have little money in the kitty, then post to Monster, stay close to cell towers so I can receive calls from recruiters. then after a month or two land a contract to rebuild the kitty.

If you are doing something similar, how do you do it?

Regards
Old 22-07-2022, 23:55   #2

Boat: Outremer 55L
Re: Looking for work to build the Kitty while cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbodine88 View Post

I have worked in computers & software for several years. So I have been able to make some money to fill the kitty, but not enough to cruise the rest of my life.

While I am working. I will work a contract until it ends, I get laid off, quit or fired, then look post on Monster or Career builder. I'll be inundated by recruiters calling asking if I want the job they are trying to fill.

After a month or more of this I will get an interview with the recruiter's manager, then a hiring authority and their team, then possibly get hired and get a contract.

So I am wondering if I can do this. Cruise until I have little money in the kitty, then post to Monster, stay close to cell towers so I can receive calls from recruiters. then after a month or two land a contract to rebuild the kitty.

Regards

Basically, you want to work from home - that’s simply a function of selecting new contracts with firms that are happy with you working 100% remotely. These days that’s much more common, especially in software development.

Are you staying within your home country, or are you planning to travel to other countries as well? In the latter case would you be working for companies in the foreign countries, or always with companies in your home country? Look to digital nomad resources as your immigration and tax issues would be the same.

Maintaining Internet coverage is the easiest. We pay attention to our mobile providers’ coverage maps and plan our cruising locations to suit. Depending on where you want to go Starlink RV could provide broader coverage with fewer black holes.

Much more difficult is combining a work life with a cruising life. It can be done, but personally I would now counsel others to cruise, then park the boat and work, then go cruising again. I spent six months cruising and working and wasn’t as productive nor enjoying either activity as I much as I would have liked. There are other threads about that on CF.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2022, 09:27   #3

Thanks.

I am thinking of cruising, then parking to work betore cruising again.
Old 24-07-2022, 10:01   #4

Quote:
Thanks.

I am thinking of cruising, then parking to work betore cruising again.
I am in the us. I will check the cell provider plans
Old 02-08-2022, 05:14   #5

How strong is your LinkedIn profile? I am also in software / tech, and I have inbound interest on tap.

A few tips:

- Always take a short zoom/chat when recruiters call. They are the ones out there batting for you. Be clear what you are looking for, your situation, etc.

- Make your profile easily searchable, and place your location in the area where they are looking (SFO, MIA, NYC, etc). They search by buzzwords / tech stack, so lay it out in your summary and experience.

The point is to make it easy to be seen and hired. If you are in tech and know how to present your profile, then the jobs will literally find you.

I'm new here, but feel free to message me. Happy to share my playbooks.
texasnative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 06:12   #6

Quote:
then look post on Monster or Career builder
Curious why you don't use Dice?
leecea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 13:57   #7

Boat: Cheoy Lee, Alden Pilothouse 32

Quote:

Regards
When my office rent went up, I bought a slip and a nice big boat to use as an office. It's a bit harder than working in an office, simply because of space. However, it's very nice to work from a slip, even sail out to Angel Island and work at the cafe there. That's how I work.

I do a lot of hiring for contract work (database development) and would have no problem with hiring someone who's on the water, but I may not be too comfortable with someone who's cruising off the coast of Africa or something. What is EXTREMELY important is the net-meeting. You need a FAST and STABLE connection. If you can hop on a call with no problem, respond to emails and texts quickly and succinctly, then you're already in the top 10%
coldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2023, 06:28   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by leecea View Post
Curious why you don't use Dice?

I use Dice, Monster, Career Builder, Linkedin, indeed and ziprecruiter.

I have noticed that turning on my profile on Monster will get me 7 to 20 calls a day from Recruiters.

Dice may have a lower rate. It will take me a while to update Dice, since Monster delivers a constant barrage of recruiter calls.

Indeed and ziprecruiter make it very easy to apply for jobs in volume.

My most recent job I got through Indeed.
Old 13-02-2023, 23:15   #9

Did it work out for you?
Jilrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2023, 01:02   #10

Boat: Outremer 55L

I worked (and currently working again) as an IT contractor via recruitment agencies. These are an easy way to get a contract and then the next contract. They take their cut, so make sure you are paid the market rate and it is the client who is paying the extra for the agency. It works for me and I’m not competing with skilled people from low wage countries. YMMV

Once you go international taxes and work permits can become an issue. Legally you should have a work permit and be paying tax in the jurisdiction where you are. But who’s to know that you’re working remotely for a company in a different country (and probably paying taxes there)?
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2023, 11:37   #11

I'm heading back out with a permanent remote position, working from the boat via Starlink while cruising or on the hook. As all my work is actually being done on a workstation in the states, I shouldn't have any issues with work visas.

This keeps my kitty full, and provides medical insurance when near the states.
IT_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2023, 12:00   #12

I'm a W2'd employee. I work and live in the US. I coastal cruise in the US 6 months out of the year. I use a 100GB/month hotspot from Tmobile. It is more than enough for what I do. I use VM's (hosted) to upload large files and logs and RDP to those VM's to read large logs files and crash dumps.

No issues with E-mail, VOIP, Skype, Webex, etc.

It's worth noting that I've been WFH for the last 15+ years.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, work