Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2023, 18:11   #1

Boat: Cal 25
Leasing Boat to Sailing School

Greetings,

I am looking at buying our sailing catamaran (used). A sailing school has approached me about allow them to use it for teaching. I think this is a way for me to offset the maintainence cost. I am wondering if anyone has experience out there and what is the structure to the agreement and terms?

Thanks in Advance!
hdhouse3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 18:28   #2

Re: Leasing Boat to Sailing School

It's not too dissimilar to chartering out, probably even less impact as sailing school will probably focus more on sailing than motoring around and won't be using your stove, etc. A guy I know bought a $1mil yach and put it into a charter as a way to pay for it, but uses it pretty much as much as he wants as long as he books it on the calendar ahead of time. Not a bad deal, especially if you run it through a business for write-offs/tax advantages.
George_SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 20:16   #3

Boat: Swarbrick S-80
Re: Leasing Boat to Sailing School

Reasonably common in these waters.
It’s exactly the same as chartering out.
In Aus it would have to be fitted out and registered as a Domestic Commercial Vessel which adds to the complication and cost, but would also have to be done for a charter vessel.

The boat will probably get lots of small bumps but shouldn’t get any major damage.
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailing, sailing school, school