Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2015, 16:01   #1

How to register US boat by EU cittizen without paying VAT

Dear sailors,

Please help me find the right solution for my problem.

I am looking for a livaboard yacht and so far the most suitable ones, and best selection of these is in USA. Although I would be able to find similar in Europe, unfortunately not in my price bracket. I am currently UK resident, and Czech citizen. I believe that I can't keep yacht registered in USA. Are places like Jersey, Isle of Mann or British Virgin Isles allowing UK residents - not citizens to register boats? Would it help me to avoid paying VAT. I am not planning to use the yacht in EU.
If I could register it, do I have to physically get that boat there? Obviously I would not want to sail from USA to Jersey or Gurnsey and then back as I am planning to spend next few yeard sailing westward from carribian.
I would be most gratefull for you advice.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
czech boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 16:18   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: How to register US boat by EU cittizen without paying VAT

Welcometo CF.. A lot of folk favour Belgium...
VAT is only liable when you bring her into EU waters..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 16:30   #3

Re: How to register US boat by EU cittizen without paying VAT

Thanks for welcome.. I am trying to establish if I can register it in a country where I do not live - like belgium. For that reason I was asking about British dependancies or colonies. Because I have UK residency. Also, if I would register it for example in Belgium, I believe that there is CE requirements to comply with EU legislations and engine emisions checks and so on.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
czech boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 21:10   #4

Boat: Lagoon 440 (44')

Try the Marshall isl. flag. There easy, fast, with branch offices everywhere, though you dont need to go physically there.
https://www.register-iri.com/
Old 28-01-2015, 18:13   #5

Boat: Sceptre 41

IF you are a UK resident and you don't have a loan you can use the SSR Part III. https://www.gov.uk/register-a-boat/the-uk-ship-register is the link. It does not prove ownership and is good for five years.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 03:04   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

If you buy a US boat you can register it in the US. You don't have to be a US resident to own a US boat. However, most states have sales tax and a property tax. There is no VAT here. If you own a yacht, no matter how small, you are a member of the evil rich and most local governments are looking for more tax money (like taxing land under water). I live in Oregon, a no sales tax state. I bought this boat in Canada, but it was built in the US. I had no import tax, no sales tax and no registration tax. But I needed to be an Oregon resident. Perhaps for a UK resident, Canadian registration would work.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 03:15   #7

New Hampshire does not have a sales tax. You can make an arrangment with a local marina or rent a post office box to get a local address for registration. One drawback though - New Hampshire is a non-title state, meaning your registration papers is all you have to prove ownership. And I'm not sure how it would play out outside the US.

Rhode Island does not tax vessels at a sale point so it's another alternative.

Plus you could end up with hailing port such as Bristol, RI or Portsmouth, NH which being a UK resident will feel like almost home. ))
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 12:48   #8
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

As a UK resident you are entitled to register the yacht under the SSR . This can be done irrespective of vat or CE status. Since you don't intend to bring the yacht into the EU , none of these issues apply

The solution is staring you in the face
Old 06-02-2015, 13:28   #9

Boat: Lock Crowther 150 46'

Hi, we have just gone through the paperworks on our US bought boat. Registering in Norwegian boat registry was ''impossible'' as it has to be CE certified, being a EEC country my guess is that the same rules applies to all EU boat registries.
Easiest solution was to register in BVI, cost you US$800 each year.
Balder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 13:44   #10
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balder View Post
Hi, we have just gone through the paperworks on our US bought boat. Registering in Norwegian boat registry was ''impossible'' as it has to be CE certified, being a EEC country my guess is that the same rules applies to all EU boat registries.
Easiest solution was to register in BVI, cost you US$800 each year.

Please stop misleading the OP. He is a UK resident, he can avail of the SSR. There are no vat or CE implications as the SSR does not care about these.

OP the solution , and thank your stars you live in a country that facilitates yachts , is straight in front of you.

Dave
Old 13-02-2015, 07:36   #11

My boat is registered in St. Thomas VI (US) annual cost is pretty reasonable. My 39' boat is around 200$ US a year.... and one does not have to be a citizen to register.

Would need a VI address possibly. There are mail forwarding places to use for that.
visailme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2015, 08:11   #12

Boat: Kadey Krogen '42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
New Hampshire does not have a sales tax. You can make an arrangment with a local marina or rent a post office box to get a local address for registration. One drawback though - New Hampshire is a non-title state, meaning your registration papers is all you have to prove ownership. And I'm not sure how it would play out outside the US.

Rhode Island does not tax vessels at a sale point so it's another alternative.

Plus you could end up with hailing port such as Bristol, RI or Portsmouth, NH which being a UK resident will feel like almost home. ))
Bingo

Rhode Island is the best.

People are great and the marina prices are the best on the entire east coast.

Plus, it has a sailing history and best of all, no stinkin sales tax.
Check out Providence, RI
Dauntlessny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2015, 08:43   #13

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

The problem with many of the posts here is the omission of federal registration which is generally called documented. I don't think the OP is aware of this. You can register it with a state and some require this even if it is documented. A few states won't allow a documented boat to be registered. Federal law says that only US citizens or corporations may document a boat but setting up a sham US corporation to get around this is frequently done. Confusing isn't it? The big yacht brokers do it all the time and can steer you the right way.
You will run into visa issues for you (regardless) and your boats cruising permit if not registered or documented here however. And like others have said a state will levy a use tax or sales tax if the boat is there for too long.
So if you plan to keep it in that state then you won't to register it there. And people do cruise internationally on only the state registration.
Good Luck.
Old 13-02-2015, 09:39   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
And people do cruise internationally on only the state registration.
Good Luck.
I know a few non US citizens who own state registered vessels and cruise internationally. Some have green cards, others just multiple entry visas, etc. None report state registration being an issue anywhere they cruised.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote