Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2020, 20:58   #1

Help me pick a boat!

Ahoy,

My first post. I thought I’d ask for advice on a topic that I’m sure many have discussed before. But as an old timer I knew used to say, “I know, I know. But it bears repeating.”

Looking to buy my first sailboat; wait, sorry, I meant yacht. Sailing has always lurked in the back of my mind. When me and the family were vacationing in Puerto Vallarta I saw local on the beach with a Hobie Cat. I paid him a few bucks to take me and my son out for a couple of days and give me a little lesson. With my broken Spanish and his broken English Juan was able to teach me a little something. Caught the bug; no, not the corona virus, it was 2018. Since then my wife and I followed it up with some lessons and rentals through Chicago Sailing on Lake Michigan.

I could probably keep doing rentals but that would be too sensible. My wife and I are in our mid fifties. She likes to go but probably a handful of times during our short summer up here in Chicago would be fine for her. The kids play along but they’re doing their own thing. I am looking to do primarily day sailing with the wife and or kids. I plan (sorry I meant hope) to do a little more day sailing on my own when the wife and kids aren’t up for it. Eventually I’d also like to cruise to some towns in South West Michigan like South Haven, Saugatuck, Manistee, Ludington; you name it, we love them all. I am fairly handy; working on my own cars and homes over the years, so I see fixing up/rehabbing as part of the fun - that is when it’s voluntary not necessary to get the boat moving safely. I am on a short leash; sorry, did I say leash, I meant budget. I would like the boat I select to make it thru this summer with no major repairs then in the off season I can tinker with her when no one is paying attention. I’d also like her to be something that I can fix up and make her look purdy.

I have narrowed it down to two choices: a 1984 Columbia 25 (7.6) or a 1982 Cal 2 25.

So let the games begin.

The Columbia looks worn on the outside but no soft spots or major problems. She has a well in the transom for an outboard. Worried about getting the prop out under sail but keeping the prop in when motoring. The sails are old and so are the lines but should get me through the season or two. Roller furling. The interior is nice with plenty of teak, newer cushions and no diesel smell. It has teak and holly flooring, some monkey fur and old vinyl headliners that could use updating and a decent pump head. BUT… unfortunately the port chainplate was leaking and rotted a part of the bulkhead. Someone removed the bad section and sistered in a piece of marine plywood and reinforced the whole thing with additional stainless steel straps to spread the load. The guys at the yard checked it out and said it will hold fine but it’s ugly as sin and a damn shame. I like the simplicity of the outboard but the transom well is goofy. The Columbia will probably have the least chance to break down but will require a lot more money to update: hull painting, lines, sails and so on… About $3,575 to get her in the water. Take a look.

https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/83436

The Cal is a real looker outside. Nice paint in very good shape on the hull and deck. One stanchion had a problem that was fixed in an ungainly way buy is secure and doesn’t leak. The owner sailed her or was on her almost daily for the past couple of years. Roller furling, new headsail, new head sail lines, decent mainsail, VHF, sound system. Below is decent but not as pretty as the Columbia. The cushions are old but the head is in good shape. BUT… she has a BMW D7 diesel engine. From my understanding the parts are very expensive and hard to find. There doesn’t seem to be much to do on this boat to get her sailing and looking good but if that engine goes I will be rowing. About $3,650 to get her in the water. Also take a look.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/b...110454436.html

So… let’s have it. Whad’yall think????
capndd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2020, 19:23   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: Help me pick a boat!

Outboards can be a hassle, and can get stolen. Then you’re rowing for sure. Fumes from the fuel are also explosive: dangerous. The Cal has a bigger ballast/disp. ratio and is a foot deeper, so should be stiffer than the Columbia. The Cal rates 219 on Lake Michigan PHRF, and the Columbia is a touch faster, at 210. This may be because they figure you put the outboard down below when you race. What is going on with the Columbia’s transom? the ob engine well is supposed to be under the aft cockpit seat. (Probably so you can lift it out and put it below when you’re out of the harbor.) That and the issues you mention about the leaking chainplate, bulkhead repairs, and old sails needing attention point you to the other boat. The listing also says the outboard is available - but not included in the asking price... New cushions would make the interior of the Cal totally different and would be nice, but not absolutely necessary. The Cal also has newer sails and appears to have been well maintained. Your call.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2020, 22:13   #3

Thanks, moving toward the Cal and will see her soon. Haven't yet due to lockdown. Already saw Columbia. Just worried out the diesel crapping out that's all.
capndd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2020, 23:25   #4

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

I am a big fan of the Lapworth Cals and own one.
That said an inboard on a 25’ boat is an marketing gimmick. There isn’t room for it to be properly maintained. And unless you pony up for a folding or feathering prop it will cost you significant speed in light to moderate conditions.
The difference in rating is probably attributable to a number of things, primarily waterline length and SA/D ratio but also a number of more minor things.

Gas fumes are only a problem if the get below. Gas is not as safe as diesel but is not dangerous per se. Gas being dangerous is a marketing talking point.

That said diesel gets better mpg.

For DIY an outboard is easier and cheaper.

Both would be fine for you intended us.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2020, 00:29   #5

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

The one with the better condition sails and rigging every time.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2020, 08:53   #6

Thanks for the advice all! Another question. If the diesel engine does go some day, what about taking it out and converting to an outboard? Most of the Cal 2 25s seem to be outboard anyway. Any significant problems with converting? (Other than that hole in the bottom which I hear can be fixed with water proof duct tape. )
Old 26-04-2020, 11:59   #7

Boat: Sabre 402

When the diesel goes, go ahead and get an outboard. We have a 1982 Yanmar, raw-water cooled, that we expect to last at least another 10 years, and that’s in salt water. Yours, in fresh, should last a good bit longer than you seem to expect.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2020, 19:32   #8

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Some of this is simply a matter of perspective. We had one of the old BMW diesels. Ours was a raw water cooled D-35. It gave us very good service, for many years. Those old BMWs were taken from industrial use and marinized for use in boats. I would not be afraid of it.

Between two boats that are very close in price, choose the one that makes your heart go pitty-pat the most. Or, choose the one with better sails and rigging. What you want is to get out sailing.

Ann

Tags
boat