Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2010, 09:54   #1

Boat: Custom, 35' Sloop - Privateer II
Electrician Jobs Down South

My boyfriend is an electrician. Has anyone worked as a electrician down south? We are looking to spend most of our time in Mexico, Central America, and South America.

Cyberkitty
cyberkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 18:15   #2

Boat: Beneteau First 38
I'm a Canadian Master Electrician first trade & refrigeration mechanic second trade. My darling is a teacher.

I have been, cruise working, in the Caribbean for the last 7 years. My darling joined me from the great white north 6 years ago.

You won't get rich but you can survive. The biggest issue is work permits if you plan to spend time in a location

Just a reference point. I was talking to a builder in Honduras 2 years ago, and he was paying his top electricians $260 lim a month. At that time it was 18 lim to 1USD you can do the math.

Just remember rule #2 Your Not at Home

Cheers
I'm fighting currents to get back to you, listening to the flow of your liquid language as you beckon me, "Come Play"
Mariners Cove, CI. Anonymous.
Caribsailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 18:26   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
It will be very difficult to get work legally as a foreigner anywhere in Latin America. Unemployment rates are already high and there are not enough jobs for the residents, much less for visitors. As previous poster mentioned, getting a work permit will be difficult unless you bring some unique or special skill that is not found locally. Unfortunately electricians are not that rare
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2010, 11:45   #4

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
I have done electrically work "pro-bono" for places in the Caribbean and was amazed how "foreign" their ideas of proper "electrical standards" are from North American standards. I have had to deal with some really anal-retentive electrical inspectors in the USA and joked that I would supply them with a free trip to the D.R. and let them see how the electrical standards are outside the USA. They would instantly seize up and die of a heart attack (just revenge) as seeing wires of one color and size disappear into a wall and emerge as a different color and size. C/B's circuit interruptors, ground wires forget it - not used or considered necessary. Service entrance disconnects - non-existant. And in the suppliers stores half of the "required" components are not available or sold - or used. The list of differences goes on and on to the point of being comical - and dangerous - but that is how these people have always lived and done it.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote