Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2021, 15:02   #1

Communication and Navigation Equipment Technical Work

The direct question is: In the cruising world, is there a need for an electronics technician experienced in communications and navigations equipment? Could a person make a living (or enough to keep floating) offering this service to the boating community from port to port outside the U.S.?

I know most are self reliant and tinker with all of their own maintenance issues, beit plumbing, diesel mechanics, hull cleaning, etc... but I also know some people either can't, or... dont want to, so the option becomes "pay someone else to".

My wife and I are still a couple years out from taking the plunge (pun intended) and, like many, are looking into options for self employment on teh water. We would like to get a business off the ground and start cruising before our retirement plan kicks in. I am a retired veteran working in the communications industry already. It would be easy to translate my skills to the small yacht world (or large yacht for that matter), but there's the always underlying question "is there a market for it?"

Thanks in advance for any helpful advise or support.
Brandon
BNorthern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 15:14   #2

Re: Communication and Navigation Equipment Technical Work

My experience is that there is certainly a demand for this service in any home port that has a large population of boats. Racing sailboats are an especially good market for nav upgrades. Also, think about instrument calibration.

However, I’m not so sure how you could make this work as a traveling cruiser. Most large ports have one or more electronics guys that are referred around. Everyone already knows their name and it is a word of mouth biz. They may not be the best and competition would be welcomed by the boaters for bringing choice. But if you are only traveling through, how will customers find you?
Pandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 16:03   #3

Re: Communication and Navigation Equipment Technical Work

To the OP - there's probably a buck or two to be made doing electronic work while you're out there. But given the laws about working internationally, etc, it won't be sustaining. Basically, you can be out cruising, or making a living off of others who are out cruising... but not likely both at the same time.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, equipment, men, navigation, work