Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2019, 13:48   #31

Boat: LeComte NE 38
Re: Buy a boat that is ready to sail or Renovate one

Best off to buy a boat that has been sailed on a regular basis. OK if it needs a bit of cosmetic work but a boat sailed will be a boat you can sail and sailing is what you need first and foremost and fixing will always be part of boating...

If you plan to do coastal cruising, perhaps a 32' starter boat would be fine. I have a 38' sloop that I bought 21 years ago in Maine. Started sailing her right away and this has been wonderful for me, for my family and friends with numerous long weekends on board, one and two week cruises to islands and coastal towns in US New England waters from Maine to Sag Harbor NY. as well as the very frequent 3 hour sail... Sailing and being on your own boat on the water is hard to beat so go for it ...

Get something you can sail solo, can afford, work on over time, but not something that requires a boat yard refit, or ends up having you turn your own yard or driveway into a boat shop unless of course - you like fixing more than sailing. Keep in mind that this is your first first boat - probably will not be your last boat so get one to sail, get her in the water and start sailing do not be afraid to go out in all kinds of weather but build up your confidence slowly and steadily. You will still have plenty of fixing - tweaking, upgrading and learning but you will be sailing and gaining valuable experience and this is the key.. Here are two pictures of my 38' sloop - "Sequitur" a LeComte NE 38 great boat built in Holland in 1968 and she is 51 years old this year but still going strong. Condition and design. build pedigree more important than age and the ownership pattern and maintenance pattern more important than age. Design matters, build quality matters, ongoing maintenance and thoughtful upgrades and a history of caring owners - matter. Enjoy and keep us posted on what you end up with.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sequitur in Sag at dusk-2017-07.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	193591   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sequitur_090711.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	400.3 KB
ID:	193592  

PAlter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 13:55   #32

Boat: Cascade 42, 42 feet

I am completing a seven year on and off project. In reality I could have gone off and had an adventure with just a few months work. In the end I have replaced almost everything. I always wanted to buy a hull and build my own boat, so I justify this as my build a boat experience. It would have been far cheaper, and a lot more sailing time had I been able to afford a closer to ready to go boat. Mine was launched in 1971, went to Mexico with the previous owner for three years in the 90's and was refurbished some upon his return which took care of some problems, but sat for 10 years and what gains he had made were lost and the equipment from his cruise was dated and largely non functional. While I love all the knowledge I have accumulated and the skills I have honed, standing back, I would rather have had the money to buy a newer readyish to go boat, or the sense to accept less of a serious cruising boat. I have managed to learn to sail, and am about to embark on a long cruise hopefully of several years or more. Still at this point I am more of a boat builder then a captain, had I got something in better shape I would have more like 6 or seven years of cruising experience instead boat building experience. Hopefully I can now balance that out, but if you can afford it and you would rather be sailing then building any of the scenarios offered by others that gets you out there is the better choice. Just because you can does not mean you should when it comes to fixing things. oh, my trade going into the project was general contractor, I had both tools and knowledge. It was mostly fun to use my land skills on my personal dream. And I did after I was done raising my family.

Now that I am looking for crew I realize there is a group of people who have spent their lives crewing on other peoples boats, to me that is an amazingly smart way to go. If I were to start my life over I would start there.
danhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 23:05   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
for sure the seller will tell you of all the costs and improvements he has made to the boat...often far exceeding the value (or price) of the boat.
This is true, when I first saw it on an advert I didn't really understand it, they spent over 3x(in the last few months) what they want to sell it for now.

This does not really make sense to me, but I guess people's plans change or maybe they can't afford it anymore. I thought maybe something fishy was going on.

I am heading down to the docks this morning, going to chat to my friend who works there(fixing boats), he is going to give me a tour of a few different size and styles of boats.
Once I have a better idea of what I want I am going to watch the local listings for a few months.
Conradb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 00:13   #34

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Don’t underestimate how much work there is in almost any boat. I bought one ready to sail, although a little unloved recently. After my first delivery trip I had a four-page to-do list. It’s still four pages long (although all but the wish-list are new items).

But I have been able to sail it all the while. Tinkering and improving is just an ongoing process that isn’t likely to stop ever.

Fortunately, my wife talked me out of a project boat. She was right, of course.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 00:21   #35

Boat: Volkscruiser

Often when people say they have spent so much in the last few months it really means they have finally caught up on all that differed maintenance they should have done before they tried to sell the boat.
Tillsbury the wife is always right, mine has refused to get out of the car to see some treasure I have found.....
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 03:01   #36

Boat: Flicka 20

In 2017 I was under contract to buy my dream boat a 2004 Dana 24. My wife (who has no interest in sailing) threw a fit. “That is just too much money”, she said. “Buy something cheaper” was the message. I decided the buy a 1988 Flicka 20 that just needed a little work. That Flicka has cost almost as much as the Dana and is almost 20 years older.. In two years it still isn’t in the water. No sailing, just projects. Don’t buy anything that isn’t ready to go. There isn’t any truth to the idea that you will save money.

CaptainJohn49
CaptainJohn49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 04:16   #37

Boat: O'Day 34

There’s a lot of wisdom in most of these posts. After owning numerous boats from 20’-50’ in various conditions from new to 30+ years old I’d say buy the boat in the best condition that is ready to sail that you can afford.
Bigger and newer is not always better. Our current 34’ O’Day Is 34 years old but is in great shape; the sails, sail pack, and standing rigging had all been replaced in the 2 years prior to our purchase. It was priced over the market value but we’ve sailed it almost every weekend with the exception of when it’s in the yard getting it’s bottom done. This smaller boat, while totally adequate for our Caribbean cruising needs, makes it a lot easier to get out on it every week, and the maintenance and dockage costs are considerably less than on larger yachts. And believe me, no matter how great the condition of the boat you will have plenty of opportunities to become intimate with every system.
In the local boatyard that I have used over the past 15 years, I’ve made many good friends who have been working on their dreams for many years and the boat has yet to see the water under their ownership, and most never will. The boatyard routinely destroys about 15 “dream boats” per year that have been abandoned.
So, in my humble opinion, go for it, get the boat in the best condition that you can afford and sail the hell out of it. And bigger and newer is not always better, it’s how she has been cared for and loved by her previous owners.
Quadrille in JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 04:23   #38
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

better yet: buy a boat that the previous owner has spent years updating and fitting out .. just for you
Old 10-06-2019, 04:32   #39

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conradb View Post
the more I read up about it, the more I come to realize that buying a project boat is the quickest way to be one of those people with a boat that lives in their backyard
Amen. I'm at one extreme - I built my steel retirement boat from scratch - it took two years of planning and twelve years of construction, all in a horse pasture. Save insanity like that for when you don't need the joy of cruising to support your interest. Right now, you need pretty prompt gratification. You'll find plenty of use for your DIY talents with even a brand new boat.

Have an absolutely wonderful sailing life.
Old 10-06-2019, 04:43   #40

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conradb View Post
the more I read up about it, the more I come to realize that buying a project boat is the quickest way to be one of those people with a boat that lives in their backyard
This is spot on...speaking as a guy with a project in my backyard. All my neighbors refer to me as "that guy with a boat in the backyard". It was rough when I bought it, but in the end I will know every system on the boat, and most everything will be done when it hits the water, after years of labor and bleeding money while getting there. I knew what I wanted for a boat, and looking back I do have some regrets, but the trip has been an enjoyable one bringing the boat back from the dead, but I enjoy working on projects, for others that may vary.
Old 10-06-2019, 06:53   #41

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

GrantMC: Been looking for a used SUV for months...cant believe you may have what I have in mind...do you know what shipping to Connecticut, USA might cost? It could fit in my back yard now that my Bristol is in the water...3.5 yrs into my refit and getting close...she was in good enough shape to sail upon purchase with great "bones", so have been able to work on/have work done in the Winter seasons here. Nothing to add to what's already been said, other than re-emphasizing, get out on the water, whether your boat or crewing. Owning your own boat brings with it the responsibilities of maintenance/upgrades-if desired/fixes-if needed (pretty much guaranteed) and keeping passengers/crew safe and educated. If you buy, it will likely keep you up at times (did I tighten both clamps on the hose to the through hull, did i turn off the power to the instruments, did i close all hatches given forecast for rain tonite, did I lock the wheel, did I ....). All good "problems" to have. dave
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 07:27   #42

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

RTG! If used, find a boat that has been cared for and maintained properly.
Old 10-06-2019, 08:01   #43

Boat: Custom Brewer Miami 45 45' - Quetzalcoatl

With all seriousness, if you are new to boating you should buy a boat that is ready to sail. Boats are very complex and you will learn that as you go along. There is also a lot of maintenance involved with a boat. You will learn your boat very well as you maintain, repair or replace systems and equipment.
Donald Bryden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 08:06   #44

Boat: Seawind 1160 38' # 60

Over the years my boat building friends would build there own boats , I would get a loan and buy a new boat and go sailing , when they were done building there boats every weekend I was done making payments and had been sailing all that time . One thing to keep in mind , A new boat always needs work so you do learn alot of skills along the way , which maybe all you need to satisfy your boat build gene .
David Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 08:15   #45

Boat: Bristol 27

I bought a boat that had been on the hard unattended for 5 years.

Before that it was cruised for 2 years.

I bought it for $2,000, cleaned it up and painted the bottom. This took about 3 weeks or so. Then went sailing.

Soon after the old diesel engine failed so I put a new 5 hp 4 stroke outboard on it.

Then I continued sailing it

Then added a new main

And sailed it some more

Then added solar and controller(s) and continued to sail it

Then replaced the autopilot after I lost the PO's overboard

And continued to sail it

Recently I have painted the decks and the interior and added shades and LED lighting. Plus I replaced the dodger, mainsail cover, and the halyards. (I used the PO's halyards for the first 8 years. Plus his anchors, electronics, and docklines) The bottom has been painted twice more.

After 8 years. I have put $10,000 in it. I have yet to do any structural repairs. This is an Offshore Capable Boat. Below are a few before and after photos

Soon I plan to replace the rigging (within 4 years) and test/repair the manual bilge pump.

I've owned maybe 12 boats all together though and bought my first one at age 16 or so
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bristol 27 2011.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	193644   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bristol 27-1.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	193645  

Name:	B27.jpg