Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2019, 09:53   #61

Re: Buy a boat that is ready to sail or Renovate one

You have mentioned “a couple of months” to complete work to be done on a boat. I have been having my very basic, not anything dramatic or exotic 25 foot, not very expensive monohul sloop being retrofitted and partially rerigged by a fully capable professional boatyard. Back in January of ‘this year I was told that it would take a month to six weeks to complete. We still don’t have a difinitive completion date. And, I do trust the boatyard manager. It’s one of the better boatyards in California.
Giro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2019, 10:08   #62

I've been taking sailing lessons for a couple of years, progressed from basic sailing on Lido 14's to cruising 101 on a Catalina 42. Along the way my idea of the boat I would like to own vs boat I thought I would like to own, plus the type of sailing I would like to do vs what I thought I would like to do, has changed frequently, and continues to change. I'd say take some sailing lessons and continue to dream on paper for a few months or more, it will really give you some perspective.

The basic cruising course I recently took was a real eye opener for me, each lesson was about 6 hours and we would spend the first 2-3 hours at the dock just going over all the systems on the boat. During these times I would be brutally honest with myself and think, "What would I do if that failed or if I found it broken or leaking? Or if I forgot to close this or open that?" And also, how would I feel about it? This was really eye opening, would my instinct be to dive in and get dirty or would I want to just "call the guy" to fix it?

During some of the lectures, for example, when the instructor was going over the engine, I caught my mind wondering and drifting off into who knows where, and snapping myself out of it I thought, "WOW, I have no interest in fixing engines, that is NOT good!" Haha. So, I think it's critical to know these things about yourself, and lessons can give you that insight. Not to beat yourself up over it but so you can realistically plan and put the right resources in place in order for you to succeed. I'd say you can also do this with a sailable (RTG) boat and learn as you go, as many have, but it may take more time without any instruction. The point though is you HAVE to get on the water. I don't think you can learn those really tough self-reflective lessons without it. The first time I stood behind the wheel of a 42' boat and the instructor said, "Ok, crew's got their instructions, take us out." I was like, "...uhhhh" Haha.
Jay2far is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2019, 10:15   #63

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Ok in my youth I was in your spot in a way. I think Thomm has a way to make it work... it depends on the boat, its basic structure and then the cosmetics. My first boat was a 24' and I really didn't know much, so I got in and found it needed a shackle for the jib halyard. I went to the store and picked one off the shelf and asked the guy if it was big enough. He said, "PLENTY BIG!" I said ok, bought it, got in the boat, raised the sails, fired up the 6hp outboard engine and proceeded to take the boat on a 70 mile trip, upwind, to my home base, because I didn't know any better. Fortunately it all worked out fine because being a small and simple boat, there wasn't much to go wrong and in my youth I felt no need to embellish the boat with niceties like ... well, anything... I can't even recall if the VHF was working.. and it certainly needed a paint job... But, like Thomm, I fixed up those things most urgent and kept her sailing. And in the exuberance and ignorance of youth, I had a great time, sailed a lot, made a lot of dumb mistakes and, with a lot of divine intervention I am sure, managed to make it home
I'm pretty much doing the same with my current boat. It's all on a shoestring. Structurally, she's fine, and she sails great, for me, and I buy what she needs.. but, the cosmetics... I got a lot of work to do... Some folks, especially when they first buy a boat, really want it to just look great everywhere before they set out. (Hey, so do I!) THAT can keep a boat in the backyard a long time, because as one thing gets better you start looking at other things that you'd LIKE to fix, or change, or beautify and then there is another week or month or three... Right now, if I were to do the cosmetics well and do a nice LITTLE refit, oh man, the boat would be rendered disabled for months and I'd be much poorer... and I REALLY want to go sailing.
It is true, if I did a great refit and ran out of time, money or enthusiasm, the NEXT owner would be the lucky one because I could never expect to recoup all the expenses or even a healthy fraction thereof. Find a boat like that if you can and can afford it. They are definitely out there. But first go sailing yourself so you'll learn, not just how to sail, but what kind of boat you will prefer when you do really start looking. Good luck!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2019, 12:45   #64

Having done both, I agree w looking for the best loved boat you can find/afford that meets your needs at the moment. You can learn systems on any boat and don't need to spend a year or more under a tarp, wearing a respirator, goggles, earplugs and overalls as well as paying full retail for everything, to do so. If you really love that process, go for it, it is fun, but if the goal is to sail, gain skills and perhaps engage your family/kids in the endeavor then I'd find a well loved/upgraded boat and enjoy the discounted labor and gear, you'll still have plenty to fix, thus learning the systems while having fun and gaining meaningful skills. Good luck.
david bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2019, 13:24   #65

Boat: Cal 2-46

We bought a 40 year old Cal 46. We already had 30 plus years experience sailing plus many of these offshore. So we knew what we needed. Rebuild of the Cal took 2 years. We now have new almost everything that we need to cruise offshore. It cost us $NZ250,000 and that is what we would have had to pay for a top quality boat (but not newish) ready to voyage the South Pacific as we do. Down side it was nearly full time work for two of us (we are retired) for 6 months and then 50/50 part time for over 18 months. Benefits. We have a boat we would be happy to leave for offshore any time and we know that boat inside out.
We have crewed many boats offshore. Word of warning. Many “offshore” rated production boats are simply not up to offshore conditions. Nor do they have the equipment or tankage suitable.
Good luck in your search.
If it is offshore you are looking at then look for a boat which has already done offshore miles maybe at some of the places where sailor “drop out”. Panama east side??
Pete
Jimmyhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2019, 14:22   #66

Over the last 15 years I have owned 5 sail boats ranging from 20ft to 47ft. 3 monohulls, 1 catamaran and a trimaran. 4 of the boats were serviceable and the old catamaran 30ft glass over ply needed lots of work.

We hauled the cat out and estimated 6 months of work, weekends only and we would be back in the water. The scope grew to a complete interior refit, windows replaced and exterior repaint. A lot of timber glass repair work as well. Fortunately the boat yard only cost a dollar a day. We launched 24 months later. Worth the learning curve but do you want to be sanding or sailing?

The 3 monohulls We're grp. Mostly interior work, fitout. Through hull fittings to be replaced and some osmosis blisters to repair. Once again took us longer to do the work but only by about 20%.

My current boat is a 47ft Trimaran. Bought her demasted. 20 years old and mostly in sound condition. Haul out was to antifoul and step a new mast. Once hauled out we decided a repaint externally would be wise as she is a monster tri to haul out. 2 months turned into 6 months. The trimaran rig cost us the most. Initially we were going to rebuild the existing mast which was going to cost NZD6000. After 12 months research for health and safety reasons decided on a new professionally built rig. We were getting prices stepped on the boat for around NZD30000. Final outcome was NZD17000. The complete external repaint estimate was 25k. I did all the prep and painting hull, topsided and deck for 3k plus the extra handstand cost of 3k. 6k all up.

Repair work the monohulls cost us around 15% more than budgeted. The old cat at least 50% and not forgetting we paid next nothing for handstand space. The trimaran was a bit mixed. Cost more than we initially planned for the mast but taking time to research we saved. Painting was an extra we brought forward but being relatively Diy skilled saved a huge amount.

Don't know if any of this helps. Will definitely take you longer than you think every time. Will cost more in most cases. Need staying power otherwise you may never finish.

If you have the budget buy as new as you can. Pay the money required to have a thorough survey done before purchase. Use the boat as much as possible with some planned maintenance every year.

Most of all ensure you have the time to enjoy.
Impreza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2019, 14:53   #67

First time poster. I am now working on my fifth boat in nearly fifty years, a Valiant 40 (others have been a Luders 33, a Triton, and a Bristol 40). My goal in buying has always been to find the boat that needs most work while still being seaworthy and sailable in the meantime. My observation is that even brand new boats need extensive completion to make them comfortable and convenient (and safe) to use, which will take time and money anyhow. Many builders also seem to find themselves sending workers to distant places to correct deficiencies from the factory building process.

Another reason I prefer my approach is that with money saved by the lower price of the project boat I can equip and restore the boat to my preferences, with the gear that I like and with the features and aspects I care about restored to the point I am comfortable with.

My third main reason is that, as others have said, you will need to know the boat well when the tough times come, and working on it is the best way to get to know it. In particular, whatever systems or structures you refurbish you will know quite well. My current boat is much more complex and sophisticated than her predecessors, and as the aging systems have failed or weakened in use, I have learned more about them and other related ones.
Sometimes I hire professionals to do trickier work, then observe as they work so I can replicate their procedure if need be. MOst of the ones I have asked have been glad to share their knowledge from years of experience with an appreciative audience.

Gradually the latest boat is coming into line, with new (metal) ports, a rebuilt V-drive, new dodger canvas and new radar and MFD (although I keep the old standbys handy.) Soon I hope to have some new sails. Eventually she will be at the level I feel confident in or/and I will tire of all the work. But for now I still get great satisfaction out of bringing a long-neglected boat back into fully functional (and not bad looking) condition, and doing things the best way I, at my current knowledge level, know how.

So I would add one more consideration in the decision: whether you get pleasure from doing the fixups. We all know that cruising is defined as repairing boats in exotic places, so it is good if one derives pleasure from that as well as a from a twelve-hour hop in brisk close reaching breeze. I definitely do, but a time comes (and I can feel it coming now) when I say, enough, we need to go sailing.

Good luck and fair winds (or abundant combination wrenches depending on your decision.)
Paich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2019, 16:54   #68

I don't think someone new to sailing would have much idea of what to do, or what needs doing on a fixer upper. I think you should buy a cheap reasonable boat, & learn what you really like & want before buying or rebuilding "THE" boat

What ever you chose, good luck with it.
Hasbeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2019, 21:50   #69

Boat: Schucker 436

First find out what make and model fits your expectations, then fly all over the country and buy the newest one so you don't have to pay retail for every pump, motor, nav device, sail you need. It's easy to fall in love with a beautiful sailboat.When you think you have found the right boat, spend money on a very good surveyor.
RUSTYNAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2019, 22:29   #70

A couple decades ago I bought a 1972 Pearson 30 for $12,000, and made it into a decent 2 person cruising boat. It took 3 years and $50k to get the job done. And, I did much of the work myself.
I sold it for $12,000 after 15 years of enjoyment. It was a fine boat, and a bargain for the buyer. But, there was not a long queue of buyers with cash.
I say, find a boat somebody has spent a bundle restoring. All the restoration money adds little to the sale price.
Cerelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2019, 23:57   #71

Boat: Oceanis 38 11.5m

Hahaha, my turn-key boat took 8 months to get it just right.
surf_km55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2019, 01:27   #72

Boat: CARABELA 650, previous Colvic Springtide 24 - modified

My ANNA LUCJA is being actually sailed will be on sale by the end of August in Porto, Portugal. This January I sailed her solo to Cape Verdes via Madeira, and back to Azores, where she is now. This is Colvic Sprintide 24' long, but very roomy and convenient up to 3 persons. LOng keel and only 3' draught, or up to 1m when loaded for serious adventure. She sailed Atlantic both ways with the crew of two. You may see movies on YT with a keyword COLUMBIADA . Here is the link to recent one

I'll ask about EUR 7000 with all electronics, some charts and even some food on board.
She is easy to sail, safe and forgiving. The different bow shape from other CS24 results from an external "bow addition" - kind of bumper- crush space to survive potential hitting the floating container or other UFO.
Old 15-06-2019, 08:29   #73

Boat: Ensign 1659: Recently sold: 1984 Aphrodite 101 Hull #264
Send a message via Skype™ to NormanMartin

Good question from OP.

My family has had new sailboats and used ones we've fixed up and voyaged. Me, I have a fixer-upper and this is a break from fixing to read and write.

There is a woman, Annie Dike, who has written some of the best literature on the topic as she traces the sailing and work on her boat, a Niagara 35. Her books are good and her blog/vlogs are even better.

https://havewindwilltravel.com/

back to work...
Norm
Averisera
NormanMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2019, 08:57   #74

YES, buy a boat that is "ready to sail" because it probably isn't and will still require a lot of work! But less than a project.
But more importantly, if you can't do your own work for sure, then YES for sure buy the most complete and ready boat you can afford.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2019, 13:58   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conradb View Post
I am new to sailing and looking for suggestions on my first boat. Would it be better to buy a "ready to go" boat or buy cheaper and renovate over a couple of months?

If I buy a project boat, I will surely learn everything about the boat as I am renovating it, allowing me to pretty much fix everything myself.

If I buy a boat that is ready to go, it could take me quite a while before I learn everything and there is no guarantee that I will be able to fix it myself without paying an expert. ie. the repairs might be more expensive overall

Does anyone wish they renovated instead of buying RTG?

Depends, wanna dream about sailing while you're covered in bilge funk and sweat OR, actually be sailing?
Juggerknot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail