Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2020, 10:59   #181

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Best investment while we travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol1970 View Post
Look at the inflation adjusted price of gold over the last 40 years. It’s one of the worst possible investments you could have made. There are a lot of suckers out there though who for some reason like crappy historical returns.

Would you’d rather own a metal that looks pretty than a paid for income producing apartment building? If my returns were as measly as gold since 2000 or bitcoin I would have no where near the level of assets and security I have today. Again nobody I know with any level of wealth has a significant position in gold or bitcoin. I do know of about 15 real people though that are never going to be able to retire with dignity that own 3 bitcoins, or have 50% of there money in gold.

Own real income producing assets paid for in cash. That’s a recipe that always works.
And this is why I said "since 2000" when loose monetary policy started going nuts.

I to have owned cashflow assets like real estate and businesses BUT I'm not blind to other asset groups that perform well as the world changes....its changing rapidly right now, with change I change, what worked in the past may or may not work in the future, I'm happy and to open change.

I dont own Bitcoin BUT you cant argue with the fact it's done very well.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 11:45   #182

Boat: LAGOON 400

funny how people believe property is safe asset. they have done no historic research. Even Rome became ghost town at some stage losing 99% of people.

Current situation is certainly not in favour of concentrated property and one can easily see 100+% loss scenarios in once hot air-bnb and similar schemas for property investors. Although prices may drop drastically, i bet fees will not and possibly trapped unable even to sell.

land that one can grow stuff and has access to clean water and one can go and pick up things to eat from nature, that is real asset.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 12:44   #183

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
funny how people believe property is safe asset. they have done no historic research. Even Rome became ghost town at some stage losing 99% of people.

Current situation is certainly not in favour of concentrated property and one can easily see 100+% loss scenarios in once hot air-bnb and similar schemas for property investors. Although prices may drop drastically, i bet fees will not and possibly trapped unable even to sell.

land that one can grow stuff and has access to clean water and one can go and pick up things to eat from nature, that is real asset.
I share your views. Real estate is part of the Australian psyche, buy a house and sell for a profit, it's that easy. Our view of history is limited.

I had my home under contract up until 2 weeks ago, fell through due to virus.

My values regarding wealth are changing. I intend to sell this income returning property when/if things normalize at home and purchase a little acerage property that enables some degree of sustainable living.

Wealth can be judged in a number of ways not just economic.
Old 11-04-2020, 14:06   #184

Boat: Alan Payne "Koonya" design 39'

Quote:
Look at the inflation adjusted price of gold over the last 40 years. It’s one of the worst possible investments you could have made. There are a lot of suckers out there though who for some reason like crappy historical returns.

Would you’d rather own a metal that looks pretty than a paid for income producing apartment building? If my returns were as measly as gold since 2000 or bitcoin I would have no where near the level of assets and security I have today. Again nobody I know with any level of wealth has a significant position in gold or bitcoin. I do know of about 15 real people though that are never going to be able to retire with dignity that own 3 bitcoins, or have 50% of there money in gold.

Own real income producing assets paid for in cash. That’s a recipe that always works.
There are a lot of Bitcoin millionaires my friend...
There are also VERY successful hedge funds and investment firms heavily into Bitcoin... Fidelity Investments is one
Here is a small list of millionaires/billionaires in Bitcoin... there are thousands more you will find IF YOU CARE TO SEARCH.

The Winklevoss Twins
Charlie Shrem
Barry Silbert
Roger Ver
Erik Finman
Jeremy Gardner
Kingsley Advani
Ian Balina
50 Cent
Satoshi Nakamoto
pt49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 16:23   #185

Add to that list...
Tim Draper... https://investorplace.com/2020/01/bi...itcoin-250000/
Raoul Pal... co-founder of Real Vision
Anthony Pompliano... founder of Morgan Creek Capital
Chamath Palihapitiya... CEO of venture capital firm, Social Capital

... and many many others.
Old 21-04-2020, 21:46   #186

Anyone looking to invest in oil?
Old 21-04-2020, 21:50   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by slug View Post
You must invest and get that money working

Now is a very good time to convert cash to investment

I’m not smart enough to give advice , but I do observe that the stock market correction has made dividend stocks very attractive

For instance Exxon is now paying close to 10 percent
How is Exxon doing today?
Old 22-04-2020, 06:30   #188

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt49 View Post
Anyone looking to invest in oil?
How many other financial bombs are still out there...I'd say alot.
Old 22-04-2020, 08:30   #189

Boat: Tartan 3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by pt49 View Post
How is Exxon doing today?
Doing very well. Up 3%
Larry Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2020, 11:38   #190

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Sorry I also meant to add , I'd be looking to invest in anything that does well in a inflationary environment, hard to see how we dont get inflation when 10's of trillions are added to the money supply.

GOLD!
GreenWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2020, 13:57   #191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Florida View Post
Doing very well. Up 3%
Exxon... down from $70 to $40 year to date... -43%
Old 29-10-2020, 16:09   #192

Quote:
These are the times you can really make great returns. I’ve never had a greater than 30% exposure to equities, my net worth is mostly due to making deals at times when cash is king and an high income earning ability. Admittedly I don’t grasp why bitcoin or blockchain has people so convinced it will skyrocket in value. To me it seems like a lot of people who aren’t already wealthy trying to buy a lotto ticket and believing in something that has no intrinsic value. I personally know of zero multimillionaires that have significant positions in blockchain. 2% of your net worth as a moonshot, sure I can see that if you like to gamble. Gold is another crazy one to me that people gravitate to, but that’s ingrained in us for thousands of years.

Be diversified, stay the course, be debt free, have 5 years of living expenses in cash, it should work out. If not we have bigger problems to worry about. But then again there would be huge opportunities out there for those with the ability to take advantage of them.
Great post! Thanks for sharing your point of view I would add that BTC unlike US dollar is deflationary so there is high chance it will skyrocket in the foreseeable future (or maybe not). Time will tell
Centix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 11:53   #193

Boat: Bali 4.0

Real estate... the only way to immediately turn your $500k into a $2M+ portfolio.
theDangerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 12:59   #194

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDangerz View Post
Real estate... the only way to immediately turn your $500k into a $2M+ portfolio.
Or $500k into $200k

All depends on which part of the irrational exuberance you jump in at.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 13:16   #195

Boat: Bali 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Or $500k into $200k

All depends on which part of the irrational exuberance you jump in at.
Fair... but that's not unlike the stock market I'm afraid (especially these days)...

I'm just pointing out that it's literally the ONLY investment where you get to invest 20% and someone else will kindly offer to match the other 80% while the investment appreciates (or that allows you to use it as a write off at tax time).

You show me a financial advisor that will let me give him $200 and buy $1000 worth of stocks/bonds for me and I'll quickly take money out of real estate and pour it in!
Oddly, the brokers I call keep saying no.

Seriously though, how much less growth do I need out of a real estate portfolio if it started with a 5x bigger portfolio than the investment I would be putting into the stock market??
From my personal experience... a LOT.
theDangerz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men