Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2011, 18:15   #16

Boat: grampian 26
Re: Are there Other Large Chandleries Besides West Marine ?

It's not about the store, it's about the people running it.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 19:11   #17

Boat: looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
I work @ West Marine, so I'm a bit biased.

it is, in all seriousness a really good company to work for. Good people at all levels, so I guess I don't understand the hostility I hear about them (us) occasionally.

West marine will also price match anyone local AND on the Internet, and ship stuff to the local store for free.
I've used West Marine in San Pedro(L.A.) for my fit-out, to the tune of a few thousand, and other stores, such as Steveston Marine in Vancouver, Popeye's - North Van, and am looking forward to visiting Minney's - Newport Beach, next week. Honestly, the people working at the WM in San Pedro have been great. They've actually worked to save me from the usual retail prices & I haven't met an unfriendly clerk, yet. On the more humorous side, perhaps because of my spending, most of them say "Hi, Mike!" when I walk in the door, except for one guy who greets me with "Hey, easy money!"

I have no shares in their company, never worked for them, etc. . Obviously, they are full retail, not going to save over the competitors, but for convenient, one-stop shopping, they've fulfilled my needs and, if what I want isn't in stock, they've had it for me within a couple of days. It was the best price in a marine store I could find for sta-set-x & my wire standing rig. Normally I'd buy my wire from a rigging company, but I'm not from L.A., my car had died & L.A. is not a very pedestrian-friendly place for getting around. I'm bringing down my other car next week, so looking forward to getting around more easily. But, I'll continue getting some of my "new" gear there.
bangkaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 19:39   #18
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

I like West Marine. I like ordering from Defender on-line better. For me it's the ease of their web ordering that makes the difference.
Old 16-09-2011, 19:48   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangkaboat View Post
I've used West Marine in San Pedro(L.A.) for my fit-out, to the tune of a few thousand, and other stores, such as Steveston Marine in Vancouver, Popeye's - North Van, and am looking forward to visiting Minney's - Newport Beach, next week. Honestly, the people working at the WM in San Pedro have been great. They've actually worked to save me from the usual retail prices & I haven't met an unfriendly clerk, yet. On the more humorous side, perhaps because of my spending, most of them say "Hi, Mike!" when I walk in the door, except for one guy who greets me with "Hey, easy money!"

I have no shares in their company, never worked for them, etc. . Obviously, they are full retail, not going to save over the competitors, but for convenient, one-stop shopping, they've fulfilled my needs and, if what I want isn't in stock, they've had it for me within a couple of days. It was the best price in a marine store I could find for sta-set-x & my wire standing rig. Normally I'd buy my wire from a rigging company, but I'm not from L.A., my car had died & L.A. is not a very pedestrian-friendly place for getting around. I'm bringing down my other car next week, so looking forward to getting around more easily. But, I'll continue getting some of my "new" gear there.
Hmmm, it's very odd to hear some of these stories. I'm EXCEPTIONALLY surprised about not getting a response to a complaint. It's not 'normal' is all I can say.

It's also kind of funny that the stores in question are stores I've worked at Maybe I'm the rude guy y'all dealt with

I worked at MDR and know most of the people @ San Pedro.
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 21:01   #20

Boat: 1978 Marine Trader 36

I have bought from West Marine, Defender, Hamilton, and Jamestown. I had a conversation with a rude coustomer service guy at Defender. He was rude enough that I didn't buy from them for a year. That said people are people. I have had employees before, sometimes they have bad days just like me. You have to overlook it unless it is a pattern.
Is West Marine higher than everyone else? Sure, but they are the only ones out there who have invested in a large network of stores, so I try to use them every time I can. They do price match. I just bought a Manson Supreme anchor from them. They price matched Overton's. 25lber for $199.
You can't expect to pay the same price for a part from a store in a shopping center as from a big wharehouse. It's like walking next door tothe Seven Eleven and complaing that Walmart is cheaper. You pay for convenience. Personally, I like the convenience.
Old 16-09-2011, 21:20   #21
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

I Also use West Marine & Defender - Both are very good and I spend a few thousand each and every year between the two of them - The people at the West Marine in 3-4 stores I use in South Fl & one in Turkey are really friendly and I feel lucky we have them because there prices are about as good as it gets- along with their selection-if you find it cheaper we know they will match that price - and there warranty is the best, ive taken things back a year later and not a problum-! TheyShip to you worldwide also - I have no interest in the company- Many times people have a bad day- we all do- and perhaps we all could look at ourselves and see sometimes we create our own trouble with our attitude- and then there are those folks that can never be happy with anything
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 21:30   #22

West marine for something I need right away, the Bear Delaware store has some great employees.
I also use imarineusa.com when I plan to spend my hard earned money, it goes a long way. As we all know, we don't always plan on spending our money.

ShaunJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 21:38   #23
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Re: More Big Chandleries than West Marine ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Why deal with one of the big chains when go can get personal service and great prices from a Sponsor Vendor of The Cruisers Forum?
www.hopkins-carter.com
I just checked out your website- very nice-while there i did a check on prices of the same things that West marine was selling and in the few things I checked your prices were way lower! So im saving your site and will look at things there also !
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 22:08   #24

Re: More Big Chandleries than West Marine ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
I just checked out your website- very nice-while there i did a check on prices of the same things that West marine was selling and in the few things I checked your prices were way lower! So im saving your site and will look at things there also !
I have also bookmarked this site

ShaunJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 00:44   #25

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
There is a place a guy we sail with suggested.http://www.wholesalemarine.com

There prices are decent and they carry brands Defender doesn't. I love Defender. I use west marine for the need it now stuff. Never had a problem with any stores along the way. SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2011, 01:02   #26

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

Annapolis Performance Sailing (apsltd.com)
local chandleries such as Svendsen's on Alameda in the Bay Area (and Blue Pelican for used items), Downwind Marine etc. in San Diego, Kelly Marine in San Pedro, etc.
Minneys Yacht Surplus, Bacon for used sails
Torresen Marine (Great Lakes)

West Marine's aren't all the same -- they can vary quite a bit in size, knowledge and helpfulness of staff, and even a little bit of the focus of their inventory.
Old 17-09-2011, 07:49   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Thanks Ram! Our website is far from complete. If you are looking for something and you don't see it on my website, give me a call or send an email. We put up new stuff every day.
Old 17-09-2011, 07:57   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto View Post
Good people at all levels??? Let me share with you my experience as a former WM customer.

I had been a customer of the same two WM stores for a long, long time, having spent thousands of dollars while completely upgrading two sailboats. A couple of times the manager of one of those stores was particularly unfriendly, but it did not bother me.

In my spare time I design and build small craft, and I needed a couple of round ports for a kayak I was finishing. I was at the store comparing the three or four models they had in stock when this guy, along with another employee, literally jumped towards me, one from each side of the isle, the perfect ambush. I guess they thought that I was shoplifting (worth mentioning that I am a middle age, gray haired guy, not a teenager)... It was pathetic to see their faces when they realized that I was measuring the ports...

Then, a few months later, on a Friday morning, I bought two cans of antifouling paint. My boat needs less than two gallons, and I had some paint left from the previous year. I went from the store to the marina to paint the first coat. On Saturday I painted the second coat, and with the leftover from the previous year I didn’t need the second can. On my way back I stopped at the WM store to return the second, perfectly clean, unopened can that never left my car during the day and a half I had it with me. This guy goes "what do you want?" I told him that I was returning the can. Without a word he went to the back of the store, returned with an opener, and started opening this perfectly new, clean and unscratched can. I asked him why he was opening it, and without even looking at me he said “because you could have used the paint, filled the can with bricks, and returned it”. He issued the refund without a word, not even a stupid “sorry, store policy”.

I wrote a letter to West Marine headquarters with an account of both incidents, expecting at least a boiler plate reply like “we are sorry….”, but I never got a response. Since then I take my business to Defender, Fawcett, and other outfitters.

By the way, if I had done that from the beginning, I would have saved a lot of money (and aggravation)...
I've had nothing but positive experiences at West Marine in Middle River and the BoatUS that it was before.
redcobra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine