Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.33 average. Display Modes
Old 02-12-2020, 14:53   #541

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi
Re: Any early retirees turned cruisers with big careers have regrets?

We really need a pin somewhere that actually classifies the terms, for CF discussions,
Cruising
Day sailing
Gunk holing
Whatever thomm is doing???
Live aboard
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 16:01   #542

Boat: Bristol 27

I actually think it's more important today to thoroughly think it through before trying to actually drop out of society to cruise.

The internet has spoiled us all!

I believe I have proven my point here with my repeated posts.

How far out are all these "real cruisers" sailing offshore?

Their internet reception appears to be as good as mine and I'm inner city!

Who is kidding whom?
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 16:07   #543

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

^^^^
folks, we have a new world record in off-topic meandering.

Jim
Old 02-12-2020, 16:40   #544
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Thomm, you have become a troll. Please, let us have our discussion, without being interrupted. As you have pointed out, you have made your points, told us your history, showed us your Chesapeake videos, and insulted various folks, ad nauseum. You are not being considerate.

I don't speak for anyone else, but many, many of us have, indeed, sailed offshore, and to other countries, lived aboard, and don't have a nearby homeport (or home, for that matter), when conditions become adverse. Don't be surprised that we disagree with you, because our life experiences are different, as well. Objectively, not better, not worse. Different. And we like to discuss our life experiences and lifestyles with like minded persons, which you, yourself, say you are not. Speaking for myself, I have sailed since the late 1950's, lived aboard, with the exception of four years, since 1982, at marinas, at anchor and on marinas, when working ashore, whilst cruising, from San Francisco, to the Chesapeake and to Grenada, and as a professional charter captain and instructor. My longest nonstop passage was 1503 miles. Nothing to brag about, but still, multiple successive days and nights at sea. Ran with bare poles, even. Over 20K miles have been singlehanded, with about another 60K crewed. I am not suggesting this is exceptional, at all. Others on this board have done way, way, more, and I suspect many have done about the same. Telling us that we obviously know little of the subject is a startling assumption, on your part.

By the way, I like sailing beach cats, and on the Chesapeake, and look forward to doing more in the future. But there is no way that I consider zipping across the Chesapeake, at its widest point, a significant sail; haven't consider it as that for maybe 35 years. Nor do I equate the Chesapeake to the Ocean; to do so is define oneself as limited.

I am defining myself, and, I suspect, many others on this thread. I am not looking for an answer or validation. Thomm, please exercise self control and DO NOT ANSWER.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 16:48   #545

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrail View Post
there is no way that I consider zipping across the Chesapeake, at its widest point, a significant sail.
Who said it was a significant sail?

I feel if someone responds to me directly I should respond......as I am just trying to be polite. They have a be friendly policy here I am told.

Do you have any real point to make here for those wanting to retire early or do you just want to attack one poster that is trying to be helpful?
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 16:53   #546

I think "voyaging" would be a better term in this context than "cruising." You people are really discussing voyaging, while he-who-shall-not-be-named is indeed discussing cruising, altho that implies a longer length than day sailing. Voyaging, by definition, includes liveaboard. While voyaging, one may cruise between islands, or cruise from one coastal port to another, before continuing the voyage. You can cruise from the east coast to Bermuda, but if from San Francisco to Hawaii, it's a voyage. IMO.
Sonny36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 17:30   #547
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Oh FFS
Old 03-12-2020, 03:22   #548

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny36 View Post
I think "voyaging" would be a better term in this context than "cruising." You people are really discussing voyaging, while he-who-shall-not-be-named is indeed discussing cruising, altho that implies a longer length than day sailing. Voyaging, by definition, includes liveaboard. While voyaging, one may cruise between islands, or cruise from one coastal port to another, before continuing the voyage. You can cruise from the east coast to Bermuda, but if from San Francisco to Hawaii, it's a voyage. IMO.

Interesting exercise in semantics that I’ve never heard before, but since Bermuda is at least 600nm from any east coast departure point, and involves crossing the Gulf Stream, what’s your cutoff where a sailing trip ceases to be a cruise and becomes a voyage?
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 05:29   #549
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
Interesting exercise in semantics that I’ve never heard before, but since Bermuda is at least 600nm from any east coast departure point, and involves crossing the Gulf Stream, what’s your cutoff where a sailing trip ceases to be a cruise and becomes a voyage?
I don't have an answer as some will say “x” miles from shore, some will say beyond helicopter rescue range, some will say if it involves an overnight or 3, some will say if it involves crossing beyond “places”.

And of course for this thread some would say it it is 20+1 miles from the dock to an anchoring spit up a creek.
Old 03-12-2020, 05:48   #550

Boat: Bali 4.0

So... to catch up on what happened since I last flagged down a satellite for bandwidth:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Oh FFS
That about sums this train wreck up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Ignore poster is your friend (except when people quote when replying to that poster, though, so don't quote either!!!!!).
May be time for you to actually give us all a technical lesson on this feature...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
^^^^
folks, we have a new world record in off-topic meandering.
Jim
I would imagine!

Quote:
he-who-shall-not-be-named
Good idea, let's see if we can tame the delusions of grandeur!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
And of course for this thread some would say it is 20+1 miles from the dock to an anchoring spit up a creek.
Let's all just agree to call it a circumnavigation!
------------------

Oh... and (of course) another half dozen posts from he-who-shall-not-be-named meandering further off-topic in order to convince us all that 20+1 miles equates to a world record circumnavigation FFS!!
theDangerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 06:59   #551

On the other hand, I was over Drag Racer's Forum yesterday.

I pointed out to them that it was a waste of time for them to build those drag racing cars, as I did the same thing they do with my pickup truck, every time I am at a stop light and it turns green.

It did not go well.
Old 03-12-2020, 07:36   #552

Boat: Tayana 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Ignore poster is your friend (except when people quote when replying to that poster, though, so don't quote either!!!!!).
THISTHISTHIS a THOUSAND TIMES THIS!

I was just about to post the exact same thing - if you refuse to disengage with the "monster that lives under a bridge" like the rest of us are doing, please don't quote it when you reply. We'd all appreciate it. Thanks so much for understanding that some of us just want to read the relevant thread.

When it comes to internet arguments, there are no winners except the people who refuse to engage. Eventually you must realize that if you have to tell a person more than a few times, it's not ignorance, it's either stupidity or willful and intentional. Either way, you're just going in a circle.

Now: HOW TO USE THE IGNORE FUNCTION
  • Find the offending post.
  • Look to the left of the screen to the name of the offending poster
  • Move your mouse onto the name and click on it
  • A list of options will appear, including "Add <<<name>>> to your ignore list
  • Click and add <<<name>> to your ignore list.
  • It will ask you if you are sure you want to add them to your ignore list, smile, breathe out slowly as all your stupid stress from a stupid internet thread melts away, and click YES.
  • That's it! Problem solved!
Old 03-12-2020, 08:12   #553

Boat: Bali 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradrockrat View Post
THISTHISTHIS a THOUSAND TIMES THIS!

Now: HOW TO USE THE IGNORE FUNCTION
THANK YOU!!
Sadly, I wasn't kidding in previous posts... I actually could not figure out how to invoke the "ignore" function.

Currently Breathing out slowly and walking away from bridge!
theDangerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 11:37   #554

Quote:
...while he-who-shall-not-be-named ...

It was once said, "Fear of a name increases fear of the thing itself."

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 11:43   #555

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

You can also un-ignore posters.

But, what I don't see is why you don't do it inside your mind, and just skip over the posts of people whose posts you don't want to read? One is not required to give credence to posters who post material irrelevant to one.

Ann

Tags
cruise, cruiser