Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.33 average. Display Modes
Old 03-12-2020, 12:18   #556

Boat: Bali 4.0
Re: Any early retirees turned cruisers with big careers have regrets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
But, what I don't see is why you don't do it inside your mind, and just skip over the posts of people whose posts you don't want to read? One is not required to give credence to posters who post material irrelevant to one.
Ann
the force is strong with this one!!

I have little doubt that you are correct... but some of us may not always have the strength (especially after a sundowner or two) to look away from the trainwreck, even when knowing in advance that we will ultimately wish we had.

or, in this case... to look away or ignore said troll, even when knowing that said troll will be trolling.
theDangerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 15:46   #557

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDangerz View Post
THANK YOU!!

Sadly, I wasn't kidding in previous posts... I actually could not figure out how to invoke the "ignore" function.

Currently Breathing out slowly and walking away from bridge!

It’s not available in the (IOS) app, which I use exclusively to access CF. I logged into CF on a web browser and finally found the ignore function. It does hide the posts and you can expand if you want, or just skip past blissfully ignorant of the content.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 15:58   #558

Boat: Tayana 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post

But, what I don't see is why you don't do it inside your mind, and just skip over the posts of people whose posts you don't want to read?

Ann
To put it simply, because I shouldn't have to. While I certainly believe everyone has the right to post on threads and engage with each other here, I also believe that people obviously stirring the pot shouldn't be able to create a burden on me or others to put up with it - that's a tactic of bullies - make your experience miserable and claim they didn't do anything "against the rules" so really what's your problem? Well fine, there's a list for that. I'll go use it.

This is just a forum on the internet. There's a lot of good on this site, and there's a lot of utter bulls#!t too. If the Bull outweighs the good, then people will leave. I know I will. Life is far too short to police posts on an internet forum when there's a perfectly good function built into the site to deal with that exact problem. It reduces the bull and makes the forum a much more fun and informative place to be.

I realized a long time ago that with over 7 billion people on the planet, there are so many wonderful people I'll never get to meet and that's a shame, but why on earth would I tolerate wasting my time engaging with or actively avoiding people who don't like me or want to engage respectfully with me? I could instead be out there developing healthy and friendly relationships with one of the 7 billion others out there.

Hell, that's the main reason I'm semi-retiring and moving into the cruising life - to meet people and make friends!

I mean, ultimately, we'll all have to decide the best way to deal with stuff like this and those ways will differ from each other, but that's cool - do what works for you, right?
Old 03-12-2020, 16:02   #559

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDangerz View Post
THANK YOU!!
Sadly, I wasn't kidding in previous posts... I actually could not figure out how to invoke the "ignore" function.

Currently Breathing out slowly and walking away from bridge!
For the ignore function, you can simply click on your name and then select user CP.

Then go to edit ignore list.

I think it's for those that cannot deal with a differing opinion.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 16:06   #560
CLOD

Boat: none

Embrace the Suck of Cruising!

Our lives are better than your vacations!
Old 04-12-2020, 10:20   #561

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradrockrat View Post
To put it simply, because I shouldn't have to. While I certainly believe everyone has the right to post on threads and engage with each other here, I also believe that people obviously stirring the pot shouldn't be able to create a burden on me or others to put up with it - that's a tactic of bullies - make your experience miserable and claim they didn't do anything "against the rules" so really what's your problem? Well fine, there's a list for that. I'll go use it....
Once upon a time, before the Internet as we now know it, in the last decade of the last century, to be a bit more precise, there was a newsgroup for a specific type of small boats. The newsgroup became inundated with posts from a guy who we all started to refer too As He Who Most Not Be Named. His posts were for a certain product that was being sold as a safety device, and while it could be helpful, the way it was being sold/marketed, could get people into trouble. We would not mention his name or the type of product he was selling on the newsgroup.

No mater what was said to him, he would not stop posting. It was so bad that several people setup a private list server so this guy could be banned from further conversations.

Now it turns out this guy had some mental issues, and while his behavior was pretty bad, he really was not bullying, but he was a PITA.

Sometimes, ye just have to page down...

Unfortunately, I have put too many people on the Ignore list on CF which I find really odd to do. I am on another website that has been around since last century, and I don't think I have had to put but one or two people on the Ignore list. I know there are far more unfriendly places on the Internet than CF but it always surprises me when one needs to hit the Ignore button on this site.

Later,
Dan
dannc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 10:52   #562

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40

Jeez....I thought we were talking about retirement....
Old 04-12-2020, 12:24   #563

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeyrouse View Post
Jeez....I thought we were talking about retirement....
Ha!
You know you've got a nasty troll when the thread has moved beyond merely the countless off-topic posts from said troll, to an even lower place where all posts are now about how to ignore the troll.

Okay... let's see if we can get this train back on the tracks!!

We had a lovely light-wind day sail from our lovely Caribbean bay today (because we still get to do that as cruisers too) but made it back in time to snorkel with the resident octopi and turtles and now headed over for a communal bbq and sundowners with all 3 boats in our private little anchorage!

And, just so you know this post is on-topic...
All 6 cruisers present have retired from 10yrs to 30yrs early (assuming current US full-benefits age of 66yrs), all have now been cruising full time for between 2 and 6yrs without returning to home-base, and as much as we try... we haven't yet been able to come up with a single regret between us!!!
Old 04-12-2020, 12:30   #564

I just feel sorry for the people who come to his thread, wanting to hear what some of the possible regrets might be from choosing the cruising life, and abbreviating their careers early to do so, from people who have actually done that.

Maybe we should start a new thread, "Why I decided to never retire and go cruising, and why you shouldn't either."
Old 05-12-2020, 05:05   #565

Boat: Tartan 40

On the contrary, as a weekend/coastal cruiser on the chesapeake with 1-2 two week cruises per year getting further off bay but still local, I am glad to hear all the folks validating the pleasure of staying on the boat long term as that’s what I love about our extended cruises. Never after 2 weeks do I want to come back but with kids, family, job- that’s where I’m at. I bet we’ll probably keep a land base like in mountains for post retirement because we also like skiing/hiking.
I’ve probably sailed 15k miles on the chesapeake bay lifetime and there’s still more to explore. But it’s not the same as leaving long term for new points and bluewater.

It’s great to be able to weekend cruise with my boat 5 min from home, but in no way am I equipped to post an opinion on this topic except that I can’t wait to be able to retire to do a lot more extended cruising.
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 09:59   #566

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
On the contrary, as a weekend/coastal cruiser on the chesapeake with 1-2 two week cruises per year getting further off bay but still local, I am glad to hear all the folks validating the pleasure of staying on the boat long term as that’s what I love about our extended cruises. Never after 2 weeks do I want to come back but with kids, family, job- that’s where I’m at. I bet we’ll probably keep a land base like in mountains for post retirement because we also like skiing/hiking.
I’ve probably sailed 15k miles on the chesapeake bay lifetime and there’s still more to explore. But it’s not the same as leaving long term for new points and bluewater.

It’s great to be able to weekend cruise with my boat 5 min from home, but in no way am I equipped to post an opinion on this topic except that I can’t wait to be able to retire to do a lot more extended cruising.
I think almost all of us can relate and have either been there, done that, or are still doing it as you are. Nothing wrong with that at all and nobody has said there was. But, since you already know that you love being on your boat and hate to leave it after you've had a chance to settle in for awhile aboard, I'm not sure why you'd particularly care if anyone else "validated" it or not. This whole forum is made up of hundreds of discussions about their boating experiences by people just like you and I, with a relatively small proportion being full time liveaboards. It seems to me that is plenty of "validation" about the sort of cruising you, and I and most of us have mostly done so that we could all forego any desire we might have to tout this part time cruising/working lifestyle on a thread that specifically asked for input by those who have chosen a different lifestyle, full time cruisers who have left successful careers and have or don't' have regrets.

It's sort of like if we had a thread about part time cruisers but still with full time jobs discussing whether it was better to keep their boat on a mooring so they could quickly drop the mooring and go cruising without all the complication of disconnecting electricity and water and multiple dock lines, or whether the ease of stepping directly aboard your boat from your slip made more sense, and a full time cruiser who had spent the last month anchored in the same spot just off Tahiti kept posting on that thread about the advantages of just anchoring anywhere he pleased every night in an attempt to 'validate" his lifestyle. There's nothing wrong with his anchoring anywhere he wants to and good for him for being in Tahiti, but touting his lifestyle wouldn't be any more appropriate or pertinent to a discussion about whether a working person would be better off keeping their boat on a mooring vs in a slip than what we've seen on this thread. There's a time and place for everything...
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 10:16   #567

Boat: Tartan 40

Yeah you’re right no need for validation. I was just responding the prior poster who felt sorry for people who expected differently. I’m happy no one really posted regrets
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 14:02   #568

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
Yeah you’re right no need for validation. I was just responding the prior poster who felt sorry for people who expected differently. I’m happy no one really posted regrets
Yep, for the record, my only regret is that I didn't do it sooner.
Old 05-12-2020, 15:34   #569

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

In their retirement, I have watched three corporate managers try their hands at politics, two doctors try to go into the restaurant business, two degreed and highly successful engineers try stock day trading, and still another enter the retail service business. All failed miserably. In every case, they were very good at what they did in their primary job, interpreted that superiority as their ability to do anything, plunged head first into an endeavor where they had no experience, then quickly and disastrously failed. I would think there would be similar stories where an "early retiree with big career" similarly failed. I would also imagine that they would not be following this thread nor would they be likely to post here.

Do any of you out there cruising 24/365 know of such a failure? I know your story would be second hand or worse, but I'd like to hear it.

Bill
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 20:37   #570

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmurdoch View Post
In their retirement, I have watched three corporate managers try their hands at politics, two doctors try to go into the restaurant business, two degreed and highly successful engineers try stock day trading, and still another enter the retail service business. All failed miserably. In every case, they were very good at what they did in their primary job, interpreted that superiority as their ability to do anything, plunged head first into an endeavor where they had no experience, then quickly and disastrously failed. I would think there would be similar stories where an "early retiree with big career" similarly failed. I would also imagine that they would not be following this thread nor would they be likely to post here.

Do any of you out there cruising 24/365 know of such a failure? I know your story would be second hand or worse, but I'd like to hear it.

Bill
That is indeed an interesting list of stories within your close personal friend group...

But to be honest, I don't find your selection of stories (those who retired from careers they were successful at to then try -and fail- at a different career with completely different skillsets) particularly surprising... nor do I find them at all relevant here.

The thread isn't about "early retirees with big careers who chose a different career but then failed miserably?".
It's about people who retired early to leave the working world and go cruising.

I'm not sure how you'd equate that to expecting an accomplished professional to shift gears to an entirely different career overnight and hope for success... much less why you would ask only to hear about those who failed rather than asking for both good and bad experiences...

Regardless, if discussing failed second careers is your goal (while I'm still not certain why it's valid in a "cruisers forum"), then why not go start a thread called "completely unrelated to cruising... but anybody else have stories of friends who changed careers and all failed miserably... I'd like to hear it"?

Tags
cruise, cruiser