Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Great Lakes
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2022, 11:37   #1

thunder bay or duluth to st lawrence

I've found a boat i really like in washington state - it looks like its going to happen.

trucking to new england not in cards (13kish$$) but to duluth or thereabouts not so bad.

possible plan - drop in water step mast and take 2 to 3 weeks to cruise a tiny bit and move the boat mast up the whole way to a US marina a bit south of montreal.

I would then store the boat for the winter (thats all the time I have _ i'd not planned on buying this boat it just sorta came along and is just what I want...stoutly built 34 footer with heat and ready for bigger adventures than I am) and next year bigger trip out the st lawrence and cruising in those areas with storage in Nova Scotia for that winter. Then prob a proper season in Maine and I live in southern New England.

I will sail solo much of the time in the lakes though I know I have to have a mate for the locks.

Faults with my plan? Marinas to recommend for the duluth and end point st. lawrence storage options?

1st post - appreciate any input.
i am an experienced sailor with some long offshore passages and much coastal cruising on my own boats. Never been in a lock or in the great lakes though.
randsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2022, 11:56   #2

Boat: Jeanneau SO 34.2
Re: thunder bay or duluth to st lawrence

Congrats on the new boat. Around the Twin Ports of Duluth and Superior, there is Spirit Lake Marina (Spirit Lake Marina & Rv) which is old-school and low-key. I haven't been there in a few years but know people that use it for winter storage. Barker's island (https://www.barkersislandinn.com/) is big and fancy if that is more your speed. Don't forget to spend some time in the Apostles, and consider transiting the Keweenaw Waterway.
steffan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2022, 12:14   #3

Boat: Rafiki 37

If you want to truck and launch to Thunder Bay, you basically have two options: TB Yacht Club, or McKellar Marina. Of the two, I'd suggest the TBYC, but you'll have to make arrangements with the club.

It's no small journey, going from the top of the Great Lakes, all the way to the bottom. It will take many weeks, at the very least. I would take months if possible.

Will you do the Welland Canal, or the Trent-Severn? And when do you plan to start? The upper lakes, especially Lake Superior, remains cold well into late June and July. It's foggy. Most boaters don't get going till mid-June up in Thunder Bay.

I sailed from Thunder Bay to near the end of Lake Ontario a few years ago. It was a grand trip, but we took basically the whole summer to do it. Of course, we always take our time. But there's so much to see and explore. Take as much time as you can.
Old 15-04-2022, 12:24   #4

i have three weeks - wish i had more but its 2023 that i can get more time and I'd like to spend that in gulf of st. lawrence. thanks vm for the mckellar marina info.

mid june departure - perhaps as late as the 22nd but there we are.

I hate to skip a great cruising ground and not give it time it deserves - but to get this boat and put it in position for 2023 is a really lucky thing and i have to make some sacrifices to accomplish next years goals. In the interest of time it would be the welland - again a sacrifice.
Old 15-04-2022, 12:31   #5

Stepping a mast is not something every marina does. While it's easy, call around and find where there's a boat yard or marina that does it.

One can go through the Great Lakes or tour it. If you keep moving every day, 3-4 weeks seems sufficient.

Boris
BMD21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2022, 12:37   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMD21 View Post
Stepping a mast is not something every marina does. While it's easy, call around and find where there's a boat yard or marina that does it.

One can go through the Great Lakes or tour it. If you keep moving every day, 3-4 weeks seems sufficient.

Boris
To be clear this is what I am asking -marinas that people trust stepping a mast and launching boat off a truck (crane) near duluth and the opposite south of Montreal on the st. Lawrence. Thanks all.
Old 15-04-2022, 12:56   #7

Boat: Jeanneau SO 34.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by randsand View Post
To be clear this is what I am asking -marinas that people trust stepping a mast and launching boat off a truck (crane) near duluth and the opposite south of Montreal on the st. Lawrence. Thanks all.
If you truck a little further to Bayfield WI, Pikes Bay and Port Superior marinas both do stepping and splashing. Pikes Bay has a 35MT(?) travel lift. Trucked to, stepped, and splashed at Pikes bay a couple of years ago and it has been our home marina since.
steffan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2022, 12:59   #8

Boat: Nonsuch 30

We got mast down in marina in Sorel, just downstream from Montreal where you turn south toward Lake Champlain. It was a DIY arrangement. Don't know if they can supply a crew.
Old 15-04-2022, 13:08   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, randsand.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2022, 13:28   #10

Quote:
possible plan - drop in water step mast and take 2 to 3 weeks to cruise a tiny bit and move the boat mast up the whole way to a US marina a bit south of montreal.
Am I reading this right? You plan to run Duluth to Montreal in 2-3 weeks?

That's like 1300miles if you bee-line it. Averaging 6kts for an 8hr day, that's 27days.

I suppose if you cruised the length of each lake non-stop, you could do it in 2-3 weeks if you get really lucky with weather windows and there are no unexpected problems with the boat.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2022, 13:29   #11

Boat: O'Day 27

Thought I would chime in here. I have sailed Michigan, Huron, St. Clair, Erie and Ontario. Never made it to Superior. 2 - 3 weeks is fairly aggressive. Weather in late spring/ early summer can be quite challenging due to the fronts that come through with some regularity. The lakes have an undeserved reputation for tough conditions but they can be quite nasty at times owing to the short steep waves. Plan on keeping dry as they will all be cold 40 - 50F at this time making the wind cold. Hypothermia is the biggest danger for sailors at this time of year even if not wet. As a reminder the lake freighters often remain in anchorages or port due to some of the conditions. Other than that you are more likely to be becalmed so have your engine in a reliable state of repair. At least you will be ahead of the stable flies. Good voyage to you.
Joefiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2022, 13:29   #12

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
i have three weeks - wish i had more but its 2023 that i can get more time and I'd like to spend that in gulf of st. lawrence. thanks vm for the mckellar marina info.

mid june departure - perhaps as late as the 22nd but there we are.

I hate to skip a great cruising ground and not give it time it deserves - but to get this boat and put it in position for 2023 is a really lucky thing and i have to make some sacrifices to accomplish next years goals. In the interest of time it would be the welland - again a sacrifice.
I assume this means you'll be taking the Lakes as straight passages. It can certainly be done, as long as you don't run into any big issues. Weather can be nasty on the Great Lakes, although early in the season tends to be pretty nice. Often it can be dead calm. But Superior will be cold, and likely foggy.

It will take a couple of days to go from Duluth to SSM on a 34-footer, and then a similar time to run from the top of Lake Huron to the bottom. Each of the smaller lakes can take about a day. Running the middle of Superior and Huron is pretty safe, but the lower lakes have a lot more traffic.

It's a tough run for a solo sailor, especially if you've got a tight schedule. But I'm sure it can be done. As you noted though, you need crew for the locks.

The St. Lawrence and the Gulf are spectacular. Definitely worth taking as much time as possible. We sailed from Lake Ont. to Newfoundland in 2017. Amazing trip. Good luck .
Old 15-04-2022, 13:31   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Thats about 2wks of 24hrs a day non-stop sailing at a realsitic average speed of 3 knots !
Old 15-04-2022, 14:21   #14

Boat: Columbia 8.7

Quote:
move the boat mast up the whole way to a US marina a bit south of montreal.
If you're talking about going to Lake Champlain via the Richelieu River, this isn't possible. There are low bridges. If you're stopping in Lake Ontario or the St. Lawrence it's fine.
https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/lhn-nhs/qc/c...tiv/navigation
CFS Klopas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2022, 14:22   #15

Racine instead of Duluth - that makes a lot of sense. i will see what the charge is but at roughly 4 dollars a mile probably worth it - thanks all. seems green bay might be even better and similar distance...anyway i appreciate the insight.

Tags
enc