Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Great Lakes
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2022, 18:55   #1

Boat: Tartan 3800
Northern Lake Michigan cruising guides and advice

We have purchased a boat which is presently on the hard midway up the shore on Lake Michigan. Next spring we will rebase her to the Duluth area.

I would welcome any advice on how to structure the delivery. ISTM that the northern Lake Michigan area has much gunkholing potential with many islands, inlets, bays, etc. So we're thinking of doing that part slow and making a run for it once we're through the Soo.

Any advice on cruising guides and other resources also welcome.
Old 16-10-2022, 08:05   #2

Boat: Nordhavn 40 II
Re: Northern Lake Michigan cruising guides and advice

Greetings,

Former Great Lakes boater here. The Richardson’s Great Lakes and Inland Waterways publications are quite useful. I did not compare them to others while there.

Inland Waterways & Great Lakes Chartbooks and Guides - Lake Superior, Lake Michigan, Hudson River, Lake Erie, Lake Ontario, Lake Huron - Marine Facilities, Aerial Harbor Photos, GPS Waypoints, Navigational Data | Maptech®

Thread drift - consider cruising the North Channel of Lake Huron. Some very nice cruising that will marry nicely with Northern Lake Michigan. We will return there. Happy to discuss further if desired - PM for contact info.

Jeff
IRENE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2022, 13:06   #3

Boat: Mirage 35

Consider the Great Lakes Cruising Club https://www.glcclub.com/

They have a lot of information on their website and facilitate contact between club members all over the Great Lakes - makes it easy to find someone to talk to about your potential destination.

(Disclaimer, in case it wasn't obvious: I am a member.)
Old 16-10-2022, 16:20   #4

Boat: Rafiki 37

The Lake Superior bible has always been Donnie Dahl's "Superior Way." I was a member of the GLCC, and without any intention to downplay the organization, Bonnie's book is better. That said, there are other benefits to the GLCC, so you might want to check them out.

I spent a decade cruising parts of Lake Superior, but mostly the Canadian side. I've also sailed the Apostles, and the western shore, but I was never drawn to the south shore because it seems a lot less interesting, and pretty exposed most of the way.

So I think your plan sounds wise to me; gunkhole your way through Michigan. Duck into the North Channel if you have the time. The St. Mary's River, and the islands that surround (Drummond, St. Josephs) offer some great places to explore.

As Irene suggests, venturing further down the North Channel would be time well spent. Endless places to explore there, but you might not have the time...

Of course, if you have lots of time, I'd suggest you sail to Duluth taking the northern route through Superior. The east and north shores offer some of the finest cruising anywhere. And you'll mostly be all on your own -- very few boats venture this way.

Tags
Advice, cruising, cruising guides