Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2020, 19:25   #1

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 41
Windpilot Pacific windvane

I'm selling a used Windpilot Pacific model, with the MF0 Tiller mounting option.

Including a spare pendulum rudder blade and 2 spare vanes (although the vane is simply plywood, so I'm not sure they add any true "value" beyond not having to pattern/cut them yourself).

Asking $1,500 + shipping or local pick up. Located near Annapolis. FYI shipping isn't going to be cheap - it's bulky and is heavier than you would think.

I'll post pictures in the next couple days.

Point yourself towards windpilot.com to find the manual, see installation options, find the prices for switching to wheel attachment instead of tiller attachment, etc, etc. That website is really going to be your best option for figuring out if this windvane can or will work for you and your boat.

Why am I selling it?

Frankly, because the previous owner of my boat (Hallberg-Rassy 41) made a very poor choice, and this is definitely not a good choice for this boat. I'm fairly certain it's an excellent choice for many other boats, but just not this one.

Why is it a poor choice for this boat?
1. The HR41 is a ketch, and this windvane does not handle the windflow off the mizzen very well (the mizzen boom overhangs the stern by about 16 inches) - which really limits the points of sail on which both the mizzen and windvane can be used. The previous owner hardly every used the mizzen - it took a bit before I figured that this windvane is one of the reasons why .

2. The HR 41 is a center-cockpit, wheel steered boat, which makes the control lines too long for the wheel option - so the previous owner would install the emergency tiller and use that. Maybe not the absolute worst plan ever, but if you think about it for a little bit, you'll come up with several reasons that it's not a very good plan either (start with having to climb out of the cockpit and go to the stern deck if you need disengage the windvane in an emergency).

But it's even worse than you think, because when the emergency tiller is shipped, the deck fitting for the tiller leaks like a sieve, so if the windvane is hooked up and it rains, the otherwise "ok in anything but the worst seastate" bunks in the aft cabin turn into wet sodden messes. (And then the genius went and lost the cap that covers the emergency tiller and "solved" the resultant leaking when the windvane/tiller wasn't hooked up with duct tape and plastic )

3. At least according the manual, this vane needs to be mounted at the center of the stern - I guess the previous owner didn't think a boarding ladder was important, because he mounted it right through/around the boarding ladder, rendering the ladder completely useless.

I may reinstall a different windvane at some point, but again for this boat there are better options. So if you're looking for a used windvane, this could be your opportunity.
mogulskibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 20:05   #2

Boat: Del Rey 50
Re: Windpilot Pacific windvane

Hi Mogulskibum,

I'm interested and local enough to pick up.

look forward to hearing more info and seeing the pics. have also sent you a pm.

Cheers,

Alex
Adventuresail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2020, 16:04   #3
cxz

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy Monsun 31

I'm still interested with a Hallberg-Rassy Monsun 31. Not sure how much it would cost to ship to Europe though.
cxz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2020, 10:20   #4

Boat: Boatless

Mogulskibum:

I think you are going to have the same problem with any wind vane or a hydrovane. Clear air flow to the wind paddle is what is needed for all of them. Of course, if you don't raise the mizzem then you would be OK. And lots of Wind Pilot Pacifics and Monitor etc have worked successfully with center cockpit boats.

BTW for others reading this posting, at $1,500 if the unit is in good shape, it is a steal!!
Roniszoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2020, 19:14   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxz View Post
I'm still interested with a Hallberg-Rassy Monsun 31. Not sure how much it would cost to ship to Europe though.

cxz: I plugged in a SCWAG (Scientifically Calculated Wild Ass Guess) for the package weight and dimensions and got an estimate from UPS of $350 to Gdansk. If you're interested, I can get you a more precise shipping cost. Import duties, VAT, etc are beyond my expertise and would be up to you to figure out how much they would be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roniszoro View Post
Mogulskibum:

I think you are going to have the same problem with any wind vane or a hydrovane. Clear air flow to the wind paddle is what is needed for all of them. Of course, if you don't raise the mizzem then you would be OK. And lots of Wind Pilot Pacifics and Monitor etc have worked successfully with center cockpit boats.

BTW for others reading this posting, at $1,500 if the unit is in good shape, it is a steal!!

Yeah, I hear you on the tough to get one that will really work well. The mizzen boom extends beyond the transom by a little over a foot. Definitely makes it hard to get clean wind across the paddle. The current plan is to rely on the autopilot and a towed water generator to produce the power to run the autopilot. Still thinking about an autohelm though - I'm installing a solar array over the davits, and I'm trying to decide if my planned installation would be a sturdy enough platform to mount the autohelm's separate airvane far enough aft for clean wind.
Old 22-09-2020, 19:29   #6

The windvane is still available, and I will listen to offers. I'm updating with pictures, and a more comprehensive discussion of current condition.

After a thorough inspection and closely looking and windpilot's website, this is a pre-1998 model.

It still rotates quite easily and smoothly (pushing the vane easily rotates the rudder, which also swings quite easily). I had not closely inspected it other than for basic functionality until I started taking the pictures, and in doing that I discovered a couple issues:

The previous owner had covered the counterweight with tape - I hadn't looked closely at it and just assumed it was either an aesthetic or chafing thing. Well, when I removed the tape it looks like the counterweight took a good smack at some point and cracked (pictured below). Of course the tape then locked moisture in and caused some surface corrosion, but the corrosion appears to be pretty minor.

The crack is a larger issue that should probably be fixed (it's still solid as a rock and I think it would continue to function well, as long it doesn't take another good hit or go through a bunch of freeze/thaw cycles). It does appear to be one of the parts that did not change in 98, so a replacement may still be available from windpilot in Germany.

That being said, the manual says that it's made out of some sort of lead alloy. If I were going to keep and use it, I would most likely try cleaning it (a mild acid solution and some patient light scrubbing) and then either simply fill the crack with epoxy, or even try melting some new lead and filling up the crack. Another option I would consider is seeing if the manufacturer could identify the alloy, and then have the crack welded. (Of course all of the repair options presume a replacement isn't readily and economically available from windpilot).

The only other damage (besides the too be expected light corrosion here and there) is the plastic sleeve that the worm drive turns has a crack (pictured). The crack terminates at the screw hole and is on the non working/geared side, so it shouldn't spread any further, and it doesn't appear to me that it would cause any structural or functional issues.

If someone were really concerned, I would use the Loctite Plastic Bonding System two part glue to repair the crack. It's probably not actually necessary and would likely last a circumnavigation or even longer as is. (The part is made out of delrin, so epoxy, superglue, gorilla glue, etc won't actually bond it, but the loctite product with a primer and glue should actually work pretty well.)

This is all belt and suspenders stuff, if it would actually fully work on my boat, I'd fill the counterweight crack with epoxy, ignore the plastic sleeve crack and set sail.

I'll have to double check the tiller next time I'm out at the boat, but I think I have the chain attachment that I could remove from the tiller, but the chain/line for the tiller attachment is long gone (although it's just a 3-4 foot bit of stainless chain with clips on the end to attach to the steering rope).

Given the above, newly discovered issues, I'd be willing to be somewhat flexible on price - so send me a pm if you're interested.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hk6YPgvOQ16LQCOtn2KmGg.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	223995   Click image for larger version

Name:	aqoOGefZSb2WPCCnwIi1yw.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	223996  

Click image for larger version

Name:	6LC0odn0RMKAx3tMAQumYg.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	223997   Click image for larger version

Name:	MWD7QiWqRX-1yHU8h7E8HQ.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	223998  

Old 28-10-2020, 03:33   #7
Marine Service Provider

Good afternoon,
as manufacturer of Windpilot since 47 years it might be helpful to read a bit about used units and its usefulness on another vessel:

https://windpilot.com/blog/en/tec-news/pre-loved/

I am fully aware about the high interest in occasional Windpilot units ... but it might be useful to circumvent disappointments prior to decisions.

https://windpilot.com/blog/en/tec-news/word-of-mouth/

kind regards from Hamburg Germany
Peter Foerthmann
www.windpilot.com
Peter Foerthman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 00:15   #8

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

The problem I am having with any windvane I am looking at is shipping costs. I inquired about an Aries in NY and it was going to cost around $500 to ship to Ca. !
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 03:13   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
The problem I am having with any windvane I am looking at is shipping costs. I inquired about an Aries in NY and it was going to cost around $500 to ship to Ca. !
As an FYI, I bought a used Windpilot Pacific last year and the shipping cost from the West Coast to Miami was $425, but that included almost $200 for the constructuon of a custom wooden crate that assured that all the pieces would be fully protected, even if someone "bounced" the crate in transit. $500 seems high, but something in the $300 to $400 range seems right given my experience. If it is a vane in good shape and at a fair price, even if it costs $400 to get it, as it is steering your vessel and you are relaxing in the cockpit, the $400 expended will seem well worth it.
Old 05-11-2020, 07:49   #10

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roniszoro View Post
As an FYI, I bought a used Windpilot Pacific last year and the shipping cost from the West Coast to Miami was $425, but that included almost $200 for the constructuon of a custom wooden crate that assured that all the pieces would be fully protected, even if someone "bounced" the crate in transit. $500 seems high, but something in the $300 to $400 range seems right given my experience. If it is a vane in good shape and at a fair price, even if it costs $400 to get it, as it is steering your vessel and you are relaxing in the cockpit, the $400 expended will seem well worth it.
Can you tell me who you shipped through? Both the seller and myself, separately plugged in the weigh and dimensions of 2 boxes and received about the same quote. It was 2 boxes because one of the carriers had a weight limit and another length. I also tried UShip but no takers.

Realistically I really need to find someone in the L.A. area and drive down to get it.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 11:54   #11

I just found the old invoice. It was one big box. About 110 pounds, and it was shipped using FedEx Ground from Washington State to Miami for $249. That excluded insurance and the custom crate.

Having owned and Aries, I would think that it would be easier to pack than a Windpilot Pacific.
Old 06-11-2020, 21:32   #12

Boat: Corbin 39 Pilot House, Tayana 42

Last year I bought an used Hydrovane in Hawaii . The seller charged me $100 for crating (2 boxes) and UPS shipping was $200 to Georgia
henryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2020, 08:20   #13

Boat: Tayana 37

I have found fed-ex ground to be quite expensive at first. They quoted out the cost of a telescope mount I was planning on shipping for about $450. When I turned to walk away stating it was way too much, she took $150 off on the spot. Still too much for me but it did seem negotiable.
tmcdonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2021, 10:29   #14

What happened at the end? Did you sell this windvane or it is still available?
Filipuncio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2021, 10:57   #15

I decided to keep it for a while and installed it on my boat. I am taking a 1200 mile single handed trip soon, but will likely be taking it off the boat and selling it this summer, as given my age, this will likely be my last long single handed voyage. Send me a PM, and I'll reach out to you in July to see if you are still interested.

Ron

Tags
wind, windvane