The windvane is still available, and I will listen to offers. I'm updating with pictures, and a more comprehensive discussion of current
After a thorough inspection
and closely looking and windpilot's website, this is a pre-1998 model.
It still rotates quite easily and smoothly (pushing the vane easily rotates the rudder
, which also swings quite easily). I had not closely inspected it other than for basic functionality until I started taking the pictures, and in doing that I discovered a couple issues:
The previous owner had covered the counterweight with tape - I hadn't looked closely at it and just assumed it was either an aesthetic or chafing thing. Well, when I removed the tape it looks like the counterweight took a good smack at some point and cracked (pictured below). Of course the tape then locked moisture in and caused some surface corrosion
, but the corrosion
appears to be pretty minor.
The crack is a larger issue that should probably be fixed (it's still solid as a rock and I think it would continue to function well, as long it doesn't take another good hit or go through a bunch of freeze/thaw cycles). It does appear to be one of the parts
that did not change in 98, so a replacement may still be available from windpilot in Germany
That being said, the manual says that it's made out of some sort of lead alloy. If I were going to keep and use it, I would most likely try cleaning
it (a mild acid solution and some patient light scrubbing) and then either simply fill the crack with epoxy
, or even try melting some new lead and filling up the crack. Another option I would consider is seeing if the manufacturer could identify the alloy, and then have the crack welded. (Of course all of the repair options presume a replacement isn't readily and economically available from windpilot).
The only other damage (besides the too be expected light corrosion here and there) is the plastic sleeve that the worm drive turns has a crack (pictured). The crack terminates at the screw hole and is on the non working/geared side, so it shouldn't spread any further, and it doesn't appear to me that it would cause any structural or functional issues.
If someone were really concerned, I would use the Loctite Plastic Bonding System two part glue to repair the crack. It's probably not actually necessary and would likely last a circumnavigation
or even longer as is. (The part is made out of delrin, so epoxy
, superglue, gorilla glue, etc won't actually bond it, but the loctite product with a primer and glue should actually work pretty well.)
This is all belt and suspenders stuff, if it would actually fully work on my boat, I'd fill the counterweight crack with epoxy, ignore the plastic sleeve crack and set sail.
I'll have to double check the tiller next time I'm out at the boat, but I think I have the chain attachment that I could remove from the tiller, but the chain/line for the tiller attachment is long gone (although it's just a 3-4 foot bit of stainless chain with clips on the end to attach to the steering
Given the above, newly discovered issues, I'd be willing to be somewhat flexible on price
- so send me a pm if you're interested.