Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2020, 19:25   #1

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 41
Windpilot Pacific windvane

I'm selling a used Windpilot Pacific model, with the MF0 Tiller mounting option.

Including a spare pendulum rudder blade and 2 spare vanes (although the vane is simply plywood, so I'm not sure they add any true "value" beyond not having to pattern/cut them yourself).

Asking $1,500 + shipping or local pick up. Located near Annapolis. FYI shipping isn't going to be cheap - it's bulky and is heavier than you would think.

I'll post pictures in the next couple days.

Point yourself towards windpilot.com to find the manual, see installation options, find the prices for switching to wheel attachment instead of tiller attachment, etc, etc. That website is really going to be your best option for figuring out if this windvane can or will work for you and your boat.

Why am I selling it?

Frankly, because the previous owner of my boat (Hallberg-Rassy 41) made a very poor choice, and this is definitely not a good choice for this boat. I'm fairly certain it's an excellent choice for many other boats, but just not this one.

Why is it a poor choice for this boat?
1. The HR41 is a ketch, and this windvane does not handle the windflow off the mizzen very well (the mizzen boom overhangs the stern by about 16 inches) - which really limits the points of sail on which both the mizzen and windvane can be used. The previous owner hardly every used the mizzen - it took a bit before I figured that this windvane is one of the reasons why .

2. The HR 41 is a center-cockpit, wheel steered boat, which makes the control lines too long for the wheel option - so the previous owner would install the emergency tiller and use that. Maybe not the absolute worst plan ever, but if you think about it for a little bit, you'll come up with several reasons that it's not a very good plan either (start with having to climb out of the cockpit and go to the stern deck if you need disengage the windvane in an emergency).

But it's even worse than you think, because when the emergency tiller is shipped, the deck fitting for the tiller leaks like a sieve, so if the windvane is hooked up and it rains, the otherwise "ok in anything but the worst seastate" bunks in the aft cabin turn into wet sodden messes. (And then the genius went and lost the cap that covers the emergency tiller and "solved" the resultant leaking when the windvane/tiller wasn't hooked up with duct tape and plastic )

3. At least according the manual, this vane needs to be mounted at the center of the stern - I guess the previous owner didn't think a boarding ladder was important, because he mounted it right through/around the boarding ladder, rendering the ladder completely useless.

I may reinstall a different windvane at some point, but again for this boat there are better options. So if you're looking for a used windvane, this could be your opportunity.
mogulskibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 20:05   #2

Boat: Del Rey 50
Re: Windpilot Pacific windvane

Hi Mogulskibum,

I'm interested and local enough to pick up.

look forward to hearing more info and seeing the pics. have also sent you a pm.

Cheers,

Alex
Adventuresail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind, windvane