Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2021, 05:56   #16
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Used Watermaker - Spectra VT-150

Well no one seems to what it, even when they could have saved $1000 off the current asking price for the cost of 9 Q-tips. So I am going to keep it.
Old 31-05-2021, 16:49   #17

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Just an idea SB1...I don't know how close you are to Tellie but maybe have him straighten the output on it and then sell it from Tellies if he is into shipping it for you.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 31-05-2021, 16:50   #18
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Just an idea SB1...I don't know how close you are to Tellie but maybe have him straighten the output on it and then sell it from Tellies if he is into shipping it for you.
I already fixed it.
Old 31-05-2021, 17:35   #19

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I already fixed it.
Very cool. Was it what you thought?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 31-05-2021, 17:55   #20
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Very cool. Was it what you thought?
Yes, dirty check valves. Very expensive cost to fix, took 9 Q-tips
Old 31-05-2021, 18:19   #21
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Yes, dirty check valves. Very expensive cost to fix, took 9 Q-tips

Did you do all four check valves? How did you get the two valve seats out that are facing inward?
But good work, check valves rarely if ever fail, but get some smooch in them that prevents them from closing or opening and it will give you fits.
Old 31-05-2021, 18:31   #22
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
Did you do all four check valves? How did you get the two valve seats out that are facing inward?
But good work, check valves rarely if ever fail, but get some smooch in them that prevents them from closing or opening and it will give you fits.
Well based on a Spectra video i got some easyouts. But they didnt fit so i just pushed them in and got the q-tip in there and cleaned till they stopped getting dirty. Considered forcing them out, but didn't have a replacement. In end seemed to get the dirt out so assembled and tried it and it worked fine.

I would if those bronze fittings are the issue as there was a lot of gunk it them.
Old 31-05-2021, 19:05   #23
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Well based on a Spectra video i got some easyouts. But they didnt fit so i just pushed them in and got the q-tip in there and cleaned till they stopped getting dirty. Considered forcing them out, but didn't have a replacement. In end seemed to get the dirt out so assembled and tried it and it worked fine.

I would if those bronze fittings are the issue as there was a lot of gunk it them.
Forget the easy outs. As you mentioned, they will destroy the check valve seats. If you have access to an air compressor you can simply put you finger over one of these two check valves and blast some air through the high pressure outlet of the Clark pump (The bottom 90 degree bronze fitting) and the one that you do not have you finger on will pop right out with no damage at all under the air pressure. Flip the pump around and do the same for the other. Not a fan of the bronze fittings. If they are crudded up I would suggest removing them all and at the least cleaning the insides with wire brushes.
Old 01-06-2021, 04:48   #24
CLOD

Thread is getting more action now that I don't think I am going to sell it. All this is thread drift, but who knows maybe it will be useful to someone.

I knew about the compressed air trick and I have a compressor on the boat. But it seemed a 3 hand job and I only have 2. So decided the chance was too high a check valve would blow out and go flying and I couldn't find the pieces. Bad enough I dropped a washer, which in Spectra fashion is odd size and a normal one is too big, and crawled around for 15 minutes to find it.

In a search I found a recommendation to clean the bronze fittings every 2 years. Once you have pulled the lower cylinders off once you can do it fast as you know the method.

Tags
watermaker, water