Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2015, 19:27   #1

Wind Songs

Hi All, My wife and I are planning to sail into the sunset of our retirement in a few years, and I am an avid guitarist. I need advice from those "Jimmy Buffet" types who can help me in the safe keeping of my beloved guitars in the environment of the sea. For example, I love my Martin guitar but I normally will not even let it out of the controlled atmosphere of our current home. Am I better off to just do my best and live with the result (of certain damage) or sell it to a good home and buy some instruments made of plastic? I hate that thought but my instrument of 30 years does not deserve to be ruined. Thanks for your advice. Am I too paranoid???
Windwake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 19:37   #2
cruiser

Boat: 2007 Beneteau 393 Cyclades
Re: wind songs

I would give my Martin to a friend/family for safe keeping until you are ready to return to it. I would NEVER take a MARTIN near salt water.
hogHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 19:46   #3

Boat: 2001 Bavaria 37

Assuming your boat is enclosed I suggest not fretting and bringing your beloved (guitar that is) along for the ride. I'm an avid guitarist too and have always brought mine. While I only live on a boat 2-3 months out of the year, I've never encountered humidity/temperature issues that were any worse than those on shore. If you are concerned with extreme dryness use an in-guitar or in-case humidifier. FWIW I've found that a good, soft case is much more boat-friendly than a hard shell.
Jim Krause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 22:04   #4
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

After nearly 10 years onboard , many in the tropics, my martin needed a couple of extra struts put in to pull the neck back a bit. Probably due to living on the boat, dunno for sure. So maybe a little paranoia is wise. For me living without a guitar is far worse than giving a luthier some money
I met another guy who painted the inside of his martin with epoxy - struck me as a bit extreme ....
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 22:19   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

We have kept a Martin Aboard for 26 yrs. Jim's the original owner of this one, and they honored the guarantee, when it needed work in Australia.

What I would say is this: if the instrument is one you love, and you may be cruising for a long time, then bring it, enjoy it, and repair it when it needs it.

A woman friend is a violinist. She brought her violin cruising (on a BCC, a wet boat). Annually, she sent it off to be re-glued. I never heard a word about that being disappointing or anything: she enjoys playing it, and having that pleasure close by mattered to her.

You have to decide how bad you'd feel if something bad happened to it. Jim only brought his to one beach potluck. Other people wanted to play it and were not careful with it. There have been many potlucks over the years.

I must say I love hearing Jim playing it...

However, fortunately, there are many competent luthiers!

Cheers,

Ann
Old 06-11-2015, 03:23   #6

I wouldn't take any of my collectors on board, but there are plenty of decent guitars now made out of high pressure laminates that play and sound very good.
My current boat guitar is an Art and Lutherie parlour guitar, copy of a martin Parlour guitar, solid top plywood back and sides.
Not going to claim it competes with my Taylors or vintage Gibson but with a good setup it is a nice playing guitar. Sounds pretty good for a small body 12 fret guitar.
Cheap enough that you don't have to worry about what happend to it.
A&L Ami Series
About 350$ in Canada with a softshell case.
This is honestly one guitar you have to play before judging. I have a pretty nice collection, guess you could call me semi professional, meaning I won't play for free, and I like this guitar. Quite often will use it on stage in an open tuning for a slide guitar, has a real nice old school tone. No pickup have to mic it.
Siberianhusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 16:45   #7

Many thanks to all for he collective wisdom, and like most things in life, my conclusion is to find the middle ground. That might mean spending some special time with my precious guitars residing on board, in balance with the use of more salt-rugged laminate instruments such as has been suggested in most cockpit jam sessions.

I am a geologist not yet retired, but am looking so forward transitioning into a very musical cruising life. Reading through the collective wisdom of the sailing community is one of my favorite passions these days, and the genuine caring and support of those comprising this very special club is without comparison.

The sound of the wind singing through the rigging within the cadence of the waves becomes the ultimate orchestra of everyday life. Our guitars love this band.

Peace to all, I cannot wait to join you all........full time.
Windwake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 19:10   #8

Boat: Catalina 387
Re: Wind Songs

Those hollow things aren't my style. But I would never take a Paul Reed Smith on the boat. A mexi-strat? Sure. That's exactly what I take on the boat. The strings rust real fast.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2015, 20:56   #9

I might sound tacky but I would rather enjoy the music the wind plays in my ears. This will keep your guitar safe and your soul at peace. Enjoy some time with your wife alone. Keep it with a friend while you are away cruising. Have fun you!
Anna09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2015, 03:25   #10

That has to be one of the most selfish posts I've read in a while, I've dumped people for trying to tell me to give up music!
A musician is not something you do, it's something you are!
Old 18-11-2015, 03:39   #11

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

RainSong, not WindSong: RainSong - Carbon Fiber Guitars

Blackbird is another: https://blackbirdguitar.com

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2015, 19:35   #12

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

I left both of my Martin's at home and got a Baby Taylor for the boat. It's a great boat size and sounds good (but not as good as my Martin's). I decided I didn't want to risk my expensive guitars.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
blackcatscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 07:21   #13

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberianhusky View Post
That has to be one of the most selfish posts I've read in a while, I've dumped people for trying to tell me to give up music!
A musician is not something you do, it's something you are!
Sounds like you and Anna09 have differing opinions. How come hers is selfish and yours is not?
Old 19-11-2015, 07:36   #14

I would never try to make somebody give up something they love!
As I said being a musician is something you are not something you do. You are born with it, it's part of you.
Why do I have perfect pitch but can't draw a stick figure?
Why was I able to play Bach on an organ at 7 years old, didn't know what it was, heard it on a Bugs Bunny cartoon.
You think it's fair for somebody to ask me to give that up?
I honestly think I'd be happier going blind.
Old 19-11-2015, 07:38   #15

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Windwake-

I've kept my Morgan acoustic on board for months of every year for more than 10 years now without any problems. I keep it in a hard shell case stored out of the sun. It pretty much stays in the case unless I am actively playing it, or at least what I call playing lol. Using Elixirs or other coated strings will save a lot of aggravation.

When cruising we're usually in Florida or the Bahamas. When I'm not on the boat I live in Florida, and until recently I lived in a non- air conditioned house so I don't find the boat much different than on shore.

The Morgan was built in Vancouver so I figured it was used to a marine environment. I have more guitars than I deserve, but I don't think I would bring my 1956 Gibson Country-Western aboard.

Life is too short to drink cheap booze or play lousy guitars. Enjoy!

Tags
songs, wind