Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-11-2012, 07:44   #1

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Ragbag or Stinkpot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
... I notice we have a lot of new members with "Captain" in their name. And, dammit, they all seem to be Americans.

Good point. I think it's pretentious plain and simple but:

Kinda goes along with American thinking that "we" seem to think we run the world and everything in it. While that may have had a milligram of truth in it in the last hundred years or so, like the Brits before us, the sun now sets on American spheres of influence.

One of the things I like about CF is learning new stuff. As an example, for an American, I know a lot about Australia, having watched Crocodile Dundee multiple times, plus having a serious crush on Nicole Kidman. So if in Oz a sailboat is properly called a yacht and a powerboat a launch then it behooves "us" to incorporate that terminology rather than think it stuffy. Or, we could just go back to ragbag and stinkpot, the term raghead having fallen into that whirlpool of political impoliteness. Personally, I have trouble calling my 25' Swan a yacht, so calling your Hunter a yacht is out of the question for me, but if you want to, I'm willing to expand my mind enough to accept it rather than LOL.

Moreover, while I am old and Biigh-ish, we have many worldwide newer members/lurkers who are young guns; ignorant of the old ways, nor give a **** about them. Rather than jump and dump on them as many of us do, perhaps it's time to embrace them and their household terminology and general know-nothingness; rarely correct but never in doubt, circumnavigators all.

Aye lads and lassies, tis a fresh breeze ablowing up. Not only that but it's warm and sunny. Think I'll get off my bum and go work on the boat yacht.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote