Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2012, 18:01   #1

Boat: Westerly Centaur
Learning the fiddle

Bit of tangent perhaps, but I thought I may poll the mental state of our members.
I moved aboard a couple of weeks ago, sadly had to scrap everything and return home as the missus is needing some heart surgery. Best laid plans and all that.
But, before I set off down to the boat, I'd been to a fiddlers convention and was well impressed. " Perhaps I could get me one of them fiddles and practice when I get down to the boat" I says. After mentioning it aloud to friends, I ended up in the possession of a most beautiful 1920s violin.
Having no clue how to play the thing I did some online wandering and picked up the general idea. Even now though it has that gentle strain of a scalded cat getting flayed alive. I need more practice obviously, but how perfect is the solitude of a boat to learn a musical instrument?
So that was me how bout you?
Anyone else decided that a boat was a fine place to learn a musical instrument and if so which one?
Hillbillylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012, 19:56   #2

Boat: Beneteau 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbillylad
Bit of tangent perhaps, but I thought I may poll the mental state of our members.
I moved aboard a couple of weeks ago, sadly had to scrap everything and return home as the missus is needing some heart surgery. Best laid plans and all that.
But, before I set off down to the boat, I'd been to a fiddlers convention and was well impressed. " Perhaps I could get me one of them fiddles and practice when I get down to the boat" I says. After mentioning it aloud to friends, I ended up in the possession of a most beautiful 1920s violin.
Having no clue how to play the thing I did some online wandering and picked up the general idea. Even now though it has that gentle strain of a scalded cat getting flayed alive. I need more practice obviously, but how perfect is the solitude of a boat to learn a musical instrument?
So that was me how bout you?
Anyone else decided that a boat was a fine place to learn a musical instrument and if so which one?
Harmonicas are in my opinion a great boat-instrument and the one I most recently tried to pick up. Or Yukes...

Frank
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 10:01   #3

Boat: Westerly Centaur
Re: Learning the fiddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoPowers View Post
Harmonicas are in my opinion a great boat-instrument and the one I most recently tried to pick up. Or Yukes...

Frank
Good call on the harmonica. i've got one of those packed too. Can get a few simple tunes out of it.
Interestingly, my neighbour at the marina, decided on the 5 string banjo. He's a proper trained pianist and decided the banjo would be ideal for the boat. He's pretty good with it too.
Hillbillylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2012, 12:44   #4
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

I had to give up on autoharp. It's idiot-proof for players but it was impossible to keep all those strings in tune.
Old 27-09-2012, 12:53   #5

I bought myself a Uke to learn on a boat. I also need a lot more practice, and quite frankly I think I'm at a disadvantage as I am the least musical person on the planet. I struggle playing the radio...
They say it takes 7 years to truly master something... That's sad. But a uke makes sense as it is a boat sized guitar. And what else should one play in the tropics?
Delay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2013, 16:52   #6

Boat: Westerly Centaur. 26'
Send a message via Skype™ to familycruisers

We have a harmonica and a recorder. Five year old is learning the recorder, and we all take a turn or two on the harmonica.
familycruisers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2013, 17:08   #7

Boat: Columbia 41

I have a concertina and can play a few Scots tunes on it. Also own a guitar but never got into that instrument. But about your fiddle, you might buy an electronic tuner. That would be a good start. Also, be sure the bow is well tensioned. Practice when no one is around. And practice, practice, practice until your fingers can play it without you thinking.
Sam Plan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2013, 17:16   #8

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
I have been abusing a harmonica for a few years. Always in my pocket.

Check out christelle berthon on youtube. I play her videos to keep me humble.
Old 25-12-2013, 17:18   #9

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Ive played a blues mouth harp for most all my life, and have been playin a UKE for almost as long !! I find it pleaseing to play one or the other on late night watchs !! And it's sorta fun to sit in with other music playin cruisers at anchorages or even marinas !! Nothing like sea Shantys (Chantys) with a little music to go with them !!They are the only thing my lousey voice can get away with singing !!LOL
Old 25-12-2013, 17:41   #10

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

About having a violin on board. We have a woman friend who plays one, and it lived aboard their BCC with them. Every season when they returned from Vanuatu (humid) to Australia (less so), she had to have it re-glued. The violin has since returned to Washington State, (US), and been re-glued there as well. Maybe they are high maintenance instruments??

Tags
learning