Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2012, 03:01   #16

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Re: Kitecam video of own boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sy_gilana View Post
Great Footage! Can you please take a movie from UPWIND?
Hey are you in Almerimar?
This boat doesnt do upwind

Spent the winter in Aguadulce, now on the move (Ceuta) towards Canaries.

The rig is called a picavet frame or somethign like that, instructions to make easily found online. I bought the frame for eur 30, nice and easy
Old 23-05-2012, 18:35   #17

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
I checked his sites, a lot more involved than I thought to get those kind of videos. This one works with the ipad (which I have) and from reports is VERY easy to fly and rack up some primo videos.
AR.Drone Parrot - First quadricopter that can be controlled by an iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad and Android

I just ordered one, let you know how it works out.
I'm quoting myself, what an ego.

This is the AR Drone from France. I'll be using it for aerial shots at both the NATS and Bucket Head Bash. Just got it today, and after charging one of the two lithium batteries I bought, I learned lift off, elevation changes and landings before the 5 minutes of battery life was gone. The 2nd battery I flew from different points within the small confines of the room. Too windy today for a beginner to fly outside. I'm controlling all flight with my ipad and can use my iphone also. One small issue, both cameras are usable for flight, but without going out and buying the latest iphone (or ipad), I am unable to store the video or stills the the copter takes to icloud. As much as I hate to buy something to replace an item that is working fine, before the big T events I will have to buy the newest iphone to be able to archive all footage shot by the AR Drone. I was proud of the fact I purchased an iphone at the introduction, and with proper care of the battery, I'm one of the very few that is still using the original iphone. Of course battery life now is just 3 days instead of the two weeks when new, but damn, I was still getting use out of it.

I hope to take it to Yosemite and scale El Capitain, as the wi-fi range is stated to be 1 mile plus line of sight. Should get some great videos and stills without having the skill or courage to scale the cliff face myself.

This video was just taken by my Sony digital, my 3rd flight, so you get the idea how easy this thing is to fly because this flight started with me having all of 10 minutes of self training. It is a bit boring since it is out of view 1/2 the time, but for anyone thinking of buying one, what better way to see that it doesn't take much skill or training to get going.

Update, as you could see the video went just over 11 minutes, so after a couple of battery cycles, getting more flying time out of a battery charge. Top speed is 20 kt, so should keep up with any future boat. Takes a bit of practice for flying in high winds, but I've seen videos of these little guys pushing through some strong winds up to it's speed range.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 18:59   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by idpnd View Post
I've sourced a kitecam to beef up my boaty footage a bit

Kite - eur 30
Frame - eur 25
Helicopter perspective of own boat - priceless

Very nice footage! On my list of things is to try and get some kite video at some point in the future. I already have a GoPro Hero camera so I'll have to find a kite and frame to mount it to. Though I suspect one might have to be a little more careful using it in places like the Carribbean where aggresive Tropic Birds might want a piece of the camera as it flies from the kite. I've already seen what a Seagull can do with a light weight GoPro camera:
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG: BOATERS BEWARE OF THIEVES IN THE NIGHT
Old 30-05-2012, 10:07   #19

Boat: Seaward22

Great video!!! I was wondering if I should get one to use in the eye of a hurricane.....lol
Pathfinder509 is offline   Reply With Quote