Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2017, 06:36   #1

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Orana 44
Inflatable Sailing Dinghy?

We are interested in getting an inflatable sailing dinghy to have aboard our FP 44 and would like to know if anyone has any experience with any of the various ones out there. We are looking at the Tiwal right now....

Thanks!

Pat and Michelle
pstadt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2017, 16:03   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131
Re: Inflatable Sailing Dinghy?

Are you associated with the Tiwal? It is not a cruising dinghy but just a little inflatable to be used like a sunfish, or other small sailing dink. NO load capacity. It's also made of PVC (won't last) instead of Hapalon like other quality inflatables. For the price, it shouldn't be PVC IMO. But -- not really a cruisers boat, more like an expensive (and fun looking) toy for someone who can drive to the beach and launch it from there (where they had it in the trunk of the car). It weighs 120lb (2 60lb valise) which is about 2x what you'd expect.

We don't know of any new good ones for cruisers that on the market right now. Henshaw no longer makes the Tinker Traveller and Tinker Tramp. Those are both sailing dinks that you can sometimes find used -- they're made in the UK so that's where you'll find them typically. We have a Traveller and really like it. Both Traveller and Tramp have decent loading capacity and good sailing as well as rowing.
Old 23-06-2017, 17:30   #3

Check out the DinghyGo. It's an inflatable dinghy that can sail, row or be used like a standard dinghy with an outboard. I can't find any info on what it's made out of, PVC or Hypalon. It's less than 70lbs, and that includes everything but the motor.

DinghyGo, the inflatable sailboat website
Old 23-06-2017, 17:45   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
Check out the DinghyGo. It's an inflatable dinghy that can sail, row or be used like a standard dinghy with an outboard. I can't find any info on what it's made out of, PVC or Hypalon. It's less than 70lbs, and that includes everything but the motor.

DinghyGo, the inflatable sailboat website
I'd seen that one but couldn't recall the name. It looks a lot like the Tinker Tramp and if it's Hypalon that would be a good one.
Old 23-06-2017, 23:37   #5

DinghyGo says it's made of Valmex, a German-made PVC that claims durability closer to Hypalon. Here's a PDF with a description from a different site:
http://falconinflatables.com/wp-cont...lon-valmex.pdf
Old 24-06-2017, 00:28   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

A small note, here: 2 yrs. ago, our friends in the dinghy repair business told us that the good German PVC is the best there was, at that time. It was part of our decision to re-tube our RIB with it.

Now, back to the sailing inflatable dinghies.

A.
Old 24-06-2017, 07:13   #7

"Schooler Chandlery" and all, thanks for the replies. No, I'm not associated with any manufacturers, dealers or advertisers, just looking for a fast/fun sailing inflatable.

I should not have called it an inflatable sailing dinghy in the original post, as I mislead some of you to think I was looking for a tender to our big cat that we could also sail - we have a good dinghy for a tender.

Sitting at anchor waiting out passing fronts that we didn't want to sail the big cat in, we thought it would be great to have a toy, if you will, that we could use to take advantage of the otherwise waisted wind. Didn't want a windsurfer or a kite board (although I'd love to learn how to do the latter someday and also have one of those).

As a long time A-Class cat sailor, I didn't want anything too slow and the Tiwal (that we saw last fall at the boat show in Annapolis) seemed to be one to consider.

Good comment on the PVC vs. Hypalon...don't know if the manufacturer will ever offer it in that material but we don't expect to keep it exposed for days on end (like our tender).

Pat
Old 24-06-2017, 15:14   #8

I'm certainly no expert on inflatable dinghies but I do know how disappointing they can be (due to hull shape). It's way more fun on a proper sailing dinghy vs a sailing row boat dinghy (like the WM kind) I've done cruising with.

I wouldn't be surprised if Hobie were working on one. They are great at hybrid/new tech small vessels.

What about this? Add a kayak rack on one or both sides of your rails and go with a Hobie Mirage (peddle kayak with small sail) or its true sailing trimaran model the Adventure or Tandem island? They are awesome! Make great dinghies too: for provisioning (with a plastic bin), as snorkeling/diving/fishing platforms and cardio at anchor.
You can peddle yourself up to 5 knots (tandem) and sail double digits even. Furling sail means you can go sail when most sailing dinghies cannot (some have been out in 35kt gusts without capsizing either .
It's a wet ride but FUN!

Otherwise, again not inflatable, I had a neighbor who had a 420 (or similar) on his davits behind his 38' cat. They live aboard so have no clue how that would be cruising. The kayaks that turn into tris (Hobie Islands) are easy to assemble and the kayak hull weight is only 90-105lbs. Not too bad.
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2017, 17:23   #9

Sailorcherry, thanks for the reply. We currently carry a kayak on each rail, so no more room there. We tied up next to Backyard Boats in Annapolis for five years and were very tempted to get the Hobie trimaran. I had also seriously thought about every way possible to carry my A-Cat, but there was no reasonable way. Space/storage aboard was the drawback on the solid boats, thus the search for something that collapses up pretty tightly.

Pat
Old 24-06-2017, 19:15   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstadt View Post
Sailorcherry, thanks for the reply. We currently carry a kayak on each rail, so no more room there. We tied up next to Backyard Boats in Annapolis for five years and were very tempted to get the Hobie trimaran. I had also seriously thought about every way possible to carry my A-Cat, but there was no reasonable way. Space/storage aboard was the drawback on the solid boats, thus the search for something that collapses up pretty tightly.

Pat
Couldn't you swap one of the standard kayaks for the hobie?
Old 02-07-2017, 22:57   #11

Hey Pat,

Yeah sure thing. Are you and Michelle dead set on having a kayak of your own? The TI is a such a sweet multi use vessel. Of I had a cat like yours there is no doubt I would have one. You could stowe the kayak on one rail and the 10' (or is it 13'?) amas in the other. It's enjoyable in each of its functions which I think is really important for cruising (or living aboard) to keep things interesting and available for different uses (such as a stable tender with work space for stern anchor setting/running stern lines to shore like in the Med to being able to have a sailing dinghy - furling main- to take out in heavy air).

Cheers,
SC
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 00:21   #12

Location: Boat in Preveza Greece, awaiting our next trip, we are based Sunshine Coast Australia
Boat: Jeanneau SunFast 43
Send a message via Skype™ to OzDean

Hello Pat,

If I had room for a second "tender" on the davits Cherub Skiff would be my choice for using up that excess wind you speak of.
Cherub Association of Australia - Home
Small enough to be light but they have all the controls to test your theories on how to make the perfect sail shape? You probably have something similar where you are. There were some guys in Oz rotomoulding these which made them more durable.

Thanks PhiSig1071 for the DinghyGo link. I can't fit a second tender but I was about to buy a new one and since I am willing to compromise on sail performance, the DinghyGo looks perfect
OzDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 05:21   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzDean View Post
Hello Pat,

If I had room for a second "tender" on the davits Cherub Skiff would be my choice for using up that excess wind you speak of.
Cherub Association of Australia - Home
Small enough to be light but they have all the controls to test your theories on how to make the perfect sail shape? You probably have something similar where you are. There were some guys in Oz rotomoulding these which made them more durable.

Thanks PhiSig1071 for the DinghyGo link. I can't fit a second tender but I was about to buy a new one and since I am willing to compromise on sail performance, the DinghyGo looks perfect
If you get a DinghyGo please let me know what you think of it. They seem like such a fun concept, that every cruiser would want one. But they don't seem all that popular.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:00   #14

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorcherry View Post
The TI is a such a sweet multi use vessel.
What is a "TI"? You certainly make it sound interesting, but I'm not finding what you might be referencing in the thread.
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, inflatable, sail, sailing