Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2023, 11:42   #1

Boat: 19983 Beneteau Oceanus 40'
Drone Suggestions

Ahoy! I am looking for suggestions for a mid range/cost drone so I can take some good footage of my sailboat adventures. Any thoughts?
Littleblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2023, 11:48   #2

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Saba 50 catamaran
Re: Drone Suggestions

Hi Littleblue, We've been living aboard for the summer in the Med for the last 8 years and used many drones. You can see our website www.ladyroslyn.com which has, I believe, the largest online database of drone photos of anchorages in the world contained in an interactive map at the bottom of the homepage. I have also written a blog post called "The Phantom has landed" about drone lessons I've learned along the way. Perhaps you might find the information there of interest. To answer your question I would buy the DJI Mini 3. It is an incredible drone which will cover all your needs and can be flown in very high winds while underway. Cheers Nic
Lady Roslyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2023, 14:33   #3

Boat: ?

for around $500 USD.. that mini will be your winner.

for ~$1000.. i'd look at the DJI Air 3...
you'll get more flight time, their onmi flight sensing, double the range, better camera (with 9x lens). i'd personally want lateral sensors on any drone.

at $2000... the mavic 3 pro provides a really really nice camera...on a drone. (their hybrid 28x scout lens is incredible) imo, is worth the splurge if $2000 would be considered "mid range". you'll get some great photos ...
chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2023, 14:48   #4

Boat: Catalina 18, Looking for Larger!

Youtubers Gone with the Wynns recently reviewed their new drone and discussed its advantages at 5 minutes 47 seconds:

I believe it is the DJI Air 3 and they use the remote control instead of their phones.
jmc42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 09:00   #5

Boat: 35' Alden Design Cutter

Because you're asking indicates you're relatively new to the Drone world. Because of this, I would recommend what Lady Roslyn said, DJI Mini 3 - but get the Fly More package

Excellent footage and if you dink it (which is very possible for newer pilots) you're not out 2K $$
Flying drones on/from a sailboat is very different than flying from land.
Iron E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2024, 05:08   #6

Hello,

I recently bought a DJI Air 2S drone and I really recommend it. It's a bit expensive ($900) but it makes great videos and has pretty good battery life.
HobbyKht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2024, 06:52   #7

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

You will find that you are fairly unpopular when you fly your drone in anchorages. Most cruisers don't like them flying overhead

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2024, 08:08   #8

Boat: Tanzer 29

I have the DJI Mini series is the way to go. Less than 250 grams will make it easier to use just about anywhere. I have the Mini 3 Pro. Footage is great, looks like it's on a tripod even if you see the drone moving from side to side. Get the ''Insurance'' from DJI. $79 for a year or $125 for two years. If you crash your drone, it will cost you $65 to replace it. Should you lose it in the water for example and not be able to find it, $225 will get you a new drone.
I agree that people don't like drones flying overhead, myself included. Just fly it at remote anchorages or beaches. When it's windy, you don't really hear the drones.

Stéphane
idclic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2024, 08:35   #9

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Tanna 47

Consider the learning curve!! Trying to land or recover a drone in wind on a moving object isn’t easy!!

I am a beginner drone pilot and wasn’t willing to spend $500 on “entry-level” drone. i found the Potensic Atom SE 4K on Amazon for $209 and it delivers impressively high-quality footage and a fairly to use interface. I flew it in winds up to about 15 kn, but any lightweight drone, it fights to remain stable in gusts above that.

After flying it several times sailing and at anchor last year in the BVI, I got careless and crashed it into brush and cactus about 100 feet up a rocky, inaccessible bluff. Now I can afford buy another for the same price as what I would have paid for one DJI Mavic!

Amazon has several models between $209 and $249 as well as a three gimbal access model at a slightly higher price. All great values for a beginner drone!
Sailor279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2024, 11:18   #10

Boat: Sceptre 41

If you are planning on using a drone in Canada, understand that if drone is >= 250 gms, you need a drone pilot licence and the drone must be registered:

https://tc.canada.ca/en/aviation/dro...safely-legally

For most Parks in BC, you cannot fly a drone without authorization:

https://bcparks.ca/plan-your-trip/vi...le-recreation/

https://parks.canada.ca/voyage-trave...s-rules/drones
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2024, 11:56   #11

Boat: Mumby 48

Mini 3/3 Pro/4 Pro are pretty hard to go past. Sub 250g gets rid of the red tape and they're crazy capable, both in camera and flight performance.

Edit: I'll also echo Sailor279. You're going to crash it sooner or later. Don't spend too much on your first drone and do get DJI care. Ask me how I know. ;-)
JustMurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2024, 12:33   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34

Rig and anchor light inspection from above with a DJI Mini 4 Pro, battery+, FAA registered, FAA Part 107

KDAB Class C airspace-LAANC approved
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dji_fly_20240105_172844_0048_1704494073727_photo.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	420.9 KB
ID:	286834  
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2024, 15:18   #13

Boat: O'Day 30 CB

I recently bought a DJI MiniPro 4. I'm a complete drone noob, and it works great!

I'm trying to get enough practice with it so that I might be brave enough to try flying from the boat. I've still got a month or so to practice before we launch.
kayakerChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2024, 15:40   #14

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

As a starter drone I would go for a lightly used original DJI Mavic mini 1 or SE. Maybe $150-200 from a reliable source

Why go so cheap? You will crash or loose it. It's only a matter of time.

For drone #2 spend some more money.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2024, 07:13   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34

Know the rules before you fly..take the TRUST test .. planning on making $$ take the FAA part 107 exam. Unfortuantly many don’t understand and get into trouble and makes it tough for the rest of us that fly legitimately.
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote