Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2021, 11:18   #46

Boat: Leopard 39
Re: Dive setup, BCD integrated weights vs weight belt.

[QUOTE=skyhawk;3319680]

Your mention of military diver in your list of "experienced critiera" brings back a story...[QUOTE=skyhawk;3319680]

Great story skyhawk! Yeah, even the military sometimes has trained folks that didn't get all the memos....

Most of the military divers I encountered over the years had the right stuff though, especially the EOD guys and Army Rangers. Also the guys that dove in Pearl Harbor honoring USN vets by placing their ashes on the deck of the Arizona. These vets were on duty when the attack occurred and receive that exclusive honor if they choose. Those Navy divers had it dialed in as well.

Thanks for sparking the memories.
Nani Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2021, 11:22   #47

Boat: Leopard 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhawk View Post
"Hogarthian

As I mentioned, I haven't dove in a long time now, but one of the last major purchases for recreational type diving that I made was a single tank plate form a company called Halcyon. Guessing you're familiar with it...
I agree. Of all the new designs offered to the diver community over the last 40 years the Halcyon plate system is the best I've seen. When my current rig wears out then I'd definitely look to that system.

If you ever wanted to get back in the water and were planning on being in the Bahamas I'd be pleased to meet and dive with you.

Aloha
Nani Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2021, 11:42   #48

aloha to you as well. It would be an honor.
skyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2021, 13:53   #49

Boat: Island Packet IP440 - Moondance

I prefer the integrated system, but have a separate weight belt that I use for snorkeling. I like to be slightly negatively buoyant to help me stay down when snorkeling.
rhpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2021, 13:52   #50

Boat: Cal-40

I worked for years a a commercial harvest diver using surface supply air and a full harness weight system. Today at age 57 I’m still a very active diver (PADI instructor) but even still prefer the use of a DUI weight belt and harness system.
Siberian Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2021, 14:36   #51

Boat: Freedom 38

Gil, I haven't read all the responses but will say that trying to put gear on in the water (especially a weight belt) is a PITA. I was trained on getting all gear on, including mask and weight belt, that's been all dropped into the deep end of the pool. Not sure why other than to see if stress and knowledge of gear are limiting factors. Rolling off the side of your boat should be completely doable except on big swelly days when you might not want to go in anyway. Then, hang a rope with clip off the back and hang your gear while you climb back on board. Use a long float line in case there's current. Then haul your gear up when you've gotten your energy levels back up to dealing with it. I prefer a weight belt especially when diving a dry suit because it's just too much integrated into one system. That said, I prefer steel tanks and back mounted BCDs (similar to the Halcyon that's been mentioned) to get some weight off the hips. I did watch someone in the Channel Islands once shoot to the surface like a torpedo when he snagged open his weight belt on some kelp when it was surgy so it is possible to lose them if you accidentally "trip the lever" but IMO that's about the worse of it. Oh, maybe buy soft weights, too, for the toes Not sure they even still sell the hard weights anyway. Have fun!
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2021, 14:41   #52

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhawk View Post
Your mention of military diver in your list of "experienced critiera" brings back a story...I
There was a pair of very young and fit GI looking Navy divers on board using rental gear. When the divemaster asked them how much weight they needed, they sorta looked at each other and shrugged...and tepidly came back with some insanely huge number. After some back and forth they got that all sorted out.
...I have no idea what sort of navy divers they were but I'm guessing they must have been dry suit cold water diving or something like that.
So...after the dive those guys were clearly out of their element....it climaxed with one of them missing their timing to step up the ladder to a belly slide onto the platform and a faceplant into the transom...complete with a newly missing tooth and lots of blood.
Are you sure they were divers? They might have just been in the Navy and recreational divers - and new at that. Or they might have been a couple of wallies.

Don't have any selfies (back in the day) but this would be indicative - not typical, as this guy's form is terrible. Head should be tucked down so he doesn't get whacked in the back of the head, and he should be holding his mask down. His elbow should be tucked in too. Everything wants to come up, so with the jacket you need to pinch your arms in.And he should cross his legs or plan on singing soprano. I started with twin steel 70s and a horse collar BC, so had the left hand behind the back holding the tanks down by the strap. Had to step out further too, because of the radiused gunwale on the old steamers. Good fun.

Lodesman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2021, 17:31   #53

nice.....
well about the guys form... he's got plenty of time to correct it before he hits the water!

Yeah, I have now idea.... I had just overheard that they were"navy divers". I suppose that was the cert they used registering for the trip. As I understand it a diver in the navy could be lots of things...from SEAL to helmet salvage diver. Based on the weight issue I recon their only experience was VERY cold water...maybe helmet diving out of a sub for all I know....
skyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2021, 06:35   #54

Boat: Swan 46

Integrated weights hands down.
razar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2021, 06:59   #55

Send a message via Skype™ to skalkot

Integrated BCD vs Wt belt. I find integrated easier. I would retain a Wt belt for SKIN diving activities. If you have excess body pounds, you may need both. The suggestion of steel cylinders is a good option. More negatively buoyant.
skalkot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2021, 07:05   #56

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

Been diving since 1979, long time NAUI instructor, cave certified, deep trimix tech cert. Your equipment configuration should be tuned to the particular dive conditions. In general, I always try to dive with a weight belt that I can drop if absolutely necessary. I also try to distribute a small amount of weight with a couple of clip on 2 pound weights to upper D-rings on the BC shoulder straps. These weights use a snap clip, the kind with a spring loaded sliding bolt, not the lever type which can be inadvertently clipped on something during the dive causing an entrapment. Having the weight belt separate from the BC makes everything easier during load, unload, entry, exit. Easy to pass off the weight belt to the dingy or to someone on the surface.
ChrisPuget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2021, 07:14   #57

Boat: Dolphin 460 - Hull # 2

For all the dive masters responding to this thread: When did the term "BC" get converted to "BCD"..?

We don't say "Dive Watch Device", we say dive watch. We don't say "Air Tank Device", we say tanks or air tanks...etc.

Maybe my instructor from '85 was as old as Neptune and just taught us "BC"..?
H0BBES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2021, 07:44   #58

Boat: 35' sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by hafa View Post
PADI DM here as well; 25 years. I prefer a weight belt. I like being able to make a single motion in order to remove all weight (right hand release). Also there is less potential confusion regarding how to remove the weights in case of an emergency.
I have to go whole hog in agreement with you. Dumping the weight belt was one of the first thing we learned 40 years ago. I'm NAUI certified by the way.

Brings up another topic though about survival tactics.
Ever seen some show about removing ones clothing in the water after (accidental) immersion? Real pain on the dock, deck or other place.
Never worked for me in the water on none breath.
Tonali99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2021, 07:45   #59

Boat: 35' sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by H0BBES View Post
For all the dive masters responding to this thread: When did the term "BC" get converted to "BCD"..?

We don't say "Dive Watch Device", we say dive watch. We don't say "Air Tank Device", we say tanks or air tanks...etc.

Maybe my instructor from '85 was as old as Neptune and just taught us "BC"..?
Some people just absolutly love acronyms.
Tonali99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2021, 07:54   #60

you want it on a belt so if you get into trouble you can drop the belt.
kurtis king is offline   Reply With Quote