Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2021, 06:20   #1

dingy for powered water sports

Does anyone use their dingy for wakeboarding, or water skiing, or foilboarding or any other power requiring hobby?
If yes what size motor and dingy do you have and by corollary what kind of boat do you have to carry it all.
Thanks in advance.
SP
Seapig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 05:52   #2

Boat: Endeavour 37
Re: dingy for powered water sports

I use my Achillies 10.5ft with a 15HP two stroke to tow my 80lbs grand kids on a tube. I'm now the "cool Grampa " way better than the 9.9hp I used to have.
magicmoments is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 10:07   #3

Boat: 46 ft cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seapig View Post
Does anyone use their dingy for wakeboarding, or water skiing, or foilboarding or any other power requiring hobby?
If yes what size motor and dingy do you have and by corollary what kind of boat do you have to carry it all.
Thanks in advance.
SP
On relatively calm days, I’ll return from going swimming (outside the dirtier harbor water) by considering my RIB as a powered surfboard, and riding standing up in a wide legged stance. Wearing a wide brimmed straw hat. Sunglasses. Nothing else. 8ft RIB, 5hp 4 stroke, which can usually get up on plane if no one (or no supplies) are with me.

Good clean fun and the boys enjoy the breeze.
PirateGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 12:53   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateGuy View Post
On relatively calm days, I’ll return from going swimming (outside the dirtier harbor water) by considering my RIB as a powered surfboard, and riding standing up in a wide legged stance. Wearing a wide brimmed straw hat. Sunglasses. Nothing else. 8ft RIB, 5hp 4 stroke, which can usually get up on plane if no one (or no supplies) are with me.

Good clean fun and the boys enjoy the breeze.

Too much information!
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 07:20   #5

Pirateguy,
I hope you are using lots of sunscreen.

To the original point of this post.

My dear little wife has just discovered wake boarding. For a 66 year old woman to take up wake boarding seems to me to be a laudable achievement. I am hoping to be able to use the tender to pull her but I can envision all kinds of problems. Tender flipping over backwards that kind of thing. If anyone has any experience with this I would very much appreciate your input.
SP
Old 02-06-2021, 07:40   #6

I'd look into a old school type Skurf board with bungee bindings given what your trying to do and who is trying to do it. Modern day wakeboards/bindings are not forgiving to ankles, knees and hips. They don't release and when they do its is always just one, allowing the other leg to take the full rotational force of the board mass. I've though I've blown out my knee a couple of time back in the day due to this. Skurf boards are more like a surf board than a wake board. Getting them out of the water is the challenge. tubes are already out of the water. HP wise, I wouldn't bother with anything less than 25hp and that might not get a person of that size out and up on a plain.
MikeHoncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 09:02   #7

Hi Mike,
Thanks for the suggestion. Do you have a link for an image of a bungee wakeboard or surfboard bindings. I found a couple of mentions courtesy of Google but no images. All the discussions are quite old.
I have a hydrofoil board which would appear to be a very close approximation of a skurf board. Less the foil of course.

Thx
SP

Tags
ports, water