Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2019, 11:28   #46

Boat: N/M 45
Re: Bicycles

Bicycles are great for getting around town and shopping in flat areas with decent paths/roads - particularly when transporting heavy things such as bags of laundry and bags of groceries. In La Paz and La Cruz (Mexico) I walked everywhere and that limited the range of things one would see without taking the little white vans for longer trips or splurging on a taxi-van. In French Polynesia the islands and atolls usually have a mostly-flat ring road that is easy to move around, folks with a bicycle had an easy time getting back from the Carrefour grocery store loaded with goodies.

When I got to Hawaii I purchased a Dahon Mariner folding bicycle and that was a game-changer. Having the bike made it quick and easy to get to places outside of a mile square that I would walk, and meant I could use a convenient dinghy dock and then ride to a store, rather than dinghy in close to the store and tie up somewhere not-so-good for the dinghy in order to shorten the walk. An hour walk to the marine store was now a 15 minute bicycle ride, much nicer than figuring out the bus service and spending an hour to get somewhere (plus buses often do not want large packages on board, only people). I'm glad I purchased the bike, I wasn't sure I'd use it as I haven't done bicycles since way back when in college, but it does get used in flat places for anything further away than a short walk.

For stowage and dinghy transport I sewed together a bag that is a tight fit for the bicycle, the bag is a layer of backpack nylon inside and out with a 3mm layer of yoga mat in between for padding, and nylon webbing handles for lifting/lowering from the dinghy. The padding protects the bicycle, protects the boat's interior from metal bike, and protects the inflatable dinghy from the bike.

The Dahon Mariner is still a large thing when folded up and I keep it stowed below-decks - finding a place to keep it took a while, now it like to be in the sail locker forward at anchor, and wedged onto a settee behind the lee cloth when on passage (that needs to change, I want a better place to keep it). I lock the bag in the dinghy when ashore with the bike as it would be no good to lose the bag to theft/borrowing or have it blow out of the dinghy (it was a fair bit of work to make the bag).

I've had the bike for a year now and it has worked fine, I have an air pump to keep up the tire pressure, and do occasionally put some lightweight oil on the gears and chain - minimal rust to date. If you're cruising in flat places I would recommend trying out a folding bicycle. Think through how you would stow the bike as they are large in a small boat, that's the biggest hurdle to having one on board.

- rob
beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 11:30   #47

Boat: Spencer 35

After much research bought a Dahon Mariner D8 folding bike several months ago when I entered Australia.
Great bike, light and after the first few times easy to fold/unfold. It came complete with everything, right down to the bungee cord on the carry rack.and folds up small enough to fit in my small 35 foot boat.
Money well spent!!
haulback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 17:15   #48

Boat: Beneteau first 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by haulback View Post
After much research bought a Dahon Mariner D8 folding bike several months ago when I entered Australia.
Great bike, light and after the first few times easy to fold/unfold. It came complete with everything, right down to the bungee cord on the carry rack.and folds up small enough to fit in my small 35 foot boat.
Money well spent!!
Not really there are better and cheaper alternatives.
gmakhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 17:53   #49
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

Seriously, Sheldon Brown sits on the right hand of God these days. Jesus himself is stuck washing the bikes in heaven before Sheldon starts to work on them.

Go into any bike shop, anywhere in the world, and ask them sbout Sheldon Brown and they will tell you how it is.
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 18:25   #50

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeron View Post
Seriously, Sheldon Brown sits on the right hand of God these days. Jesus himself is stuck washing the bikes in heaven before Sheldon starts to work on them.

Go into any bike shop, anywhere in the world, and ask them sbout Sheldon Brown and they will tell you how it is.
Appeal to Authority is a fallacy and a weak one at that, particularly when the "authority" has no knowledge or experience with the subject at hand, in this case, Tannus tires. I think this holds even for authorities in close proximity to deities.

I am doing no more than sharing actual experience in the hopes that it may be of benefit to others. I find them ideal for boaters as they are guaranteed for 5000 miles, never puncture, eliminate the need to carry pumps, patches, and tubes, and make your bike ready to go instantly.

Perhaps you have first-hand experience with Tannus tires; if so, by all means, share your experience.

Oh, should I see you by the side of the road repairing a flat, I promise to stop and help.

Fair winds,
Leo
Leo Ticheli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 18:40   #51

There has been a lot of development in recent times of airless tyres and they have improved markedly over earlier types and given the actual miles that are ridden and the way most boat bikes are used I think they are not a bad option to consider.

For boats, I think aluminium or carbon frames, belt drives, internal hubs and airless tyres make a lot of sense for reducing maintenance/repair issues and keeping it light, clean and rust-free.
cj88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2019, 11:34   #52

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenstoll001 View Post
So I take it that my plan to use either 2 e-bikes or an e-bike and a Solex motor scooter on a 45-50' Leopard cat is no good due to the size and required storage? I figured they would fit in the front of a large enough (11-12') RIB. I can't imagine being in the Carrib and totally relying local transportation from the dingy dock or beach. Would I be better off with just a set of folding bikes?
Why not a folding e-bike? I have a 12' Port-a-boat and my 2 folding e-bikes fit in it no problem.

Swagtron EB7's
sguerrero1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2019, 11:54   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapnkarl View Post
Were your bikes 20"? Do you recall what bags you got?

20” I think, and these bags https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2019, 16:52   #54

Boat: PERRY 43 PASSAGEMAKER

interested in paratrooper bike. Where is the third rock from the sun. Do they have bike shops there?
Popeye46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2019, 16:55   #55

Boat: PERRY 43 PASSAGEMAKER

Love to get a paratrooper. Where is the third rock from the sun? Is there water there?
Popeye46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2019, 13:40   #56
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeron View Post

Well, I thought it was pretty funny!

Really, this is like a multi/mono thread, where is comes down to what you like. Lots of good ideas.