Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 20:38   #31
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Best luxury upgrades to add to a 30 foot boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Rottnest View Post
A still, or a beer fermenter.
Had to be an Aussie...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Human Rights only matter when it's politically expedient..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 20:45   #32
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Best luxury upgrades to add to a 30 foot boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondBase View Post
I'm investing in a better sailing and liveboard experience. This will be hard and not quite true by assume all ships systems are in good order. I'm looking for a list of "options" - things you'd add to a boat such as: Hammock, Sirius XM lifetime subscription, wood stove, memory foam, etc.

What's the one non-essential feature you've added/seen that gives the most added enjoyment?

Open budget, constrained by hull length.

ABSOLUTELY get the memory foam!!! Cushions on boats are built to be sturdy, to resist moisture, etc., not to give a cushy night's sleep.

If you really have the money to spend, you might really see if you can find an interior designer who sails, who "gets" sailboats. For instance, i'm really struggling with window covers right now. I took the old, battered curtains down when I bought the boat (really, they were ghastly) ... and I don't want to put curtains back up. So what the heck do I do? My next door neighbor has these cool lexan window covers -- two layers, each with white stripes. Move the top one 1/2" and the windows are completely "closed." Move it back, and you get filtered light. You still get some light through the white lexan, but still have privacy. But I don't think I want that.

Another thing I would look at if I won the lottery would be custom cabinetry. The people who have those skills ... it's really nice.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 20:58   #33

Boat: Junk rig Schooner

A craypot

..and eat lobster everyday - with your own beer.
Capt Rottnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 22:04   #34

Boat: PETERSON 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra View Post
I dream of a pair of beaching legs, to go in drying harbours and coves. Maybe next year project...

Alain
Got the bee each with legs. Plus one for her. She does not like being called a project. Beyond that vacuflush head. Then all the other stuff that keeps working and I don't appreciate.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 22:16   #35

Boat: Junk rig Schooner

Yeah boatie..
Beer is just too expensive down here..
@#$~ guvmint.
Capt Rottnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 00:39   #36
Armchair Bucketeer

An extra few feet! Easiest way to acheive that is with a full enclosure. Even with only one onboard a(nother) seperate living space always nice - with more onboard becomes more important.

After that I guess would be lots of solar panels - that fit onboard!
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 02:26   #37

Marine grade bean bag deck chairs!
Abaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:42   #38
Armchair Bucketeer

An Armchair.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:50   #39

If this thread has shown anything, it is that we consider "luxury" to be different things. To some, it's what makes the boat perform the best, and thus make it quicker, to others its dedicated comfort things such as air con, to others again, its about personal luxuries. In the end, I think our notions are quite irrelevant to the OP. I think he has to figure this one out himself, figure out what he considers necessities, even if those things are luxuries to someone else and vice versa. I mean, some people do fine without a fridge and consider them to unnecessary luxury, whereas other think of them as necessities (I'm in the latter group).
Caracal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:02   #40
CLOD

Boat: none

folding helm wheel
Old 04-05-2013, 05:14   #41
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caracal View Post
If this thread has shown anything, it is that we consider "luxury" to be different things. To some, it's what makes the boat perform the best, and thus make it quicker, to others its dedicated comfort things such as air con, to others again, its about personal luxuries. In the end, I think our notions are quite irrelevant to the OP. I think he has to figure this one out himself, figure out what he considers necessities, even if those things are luxuries to someone else and vice versa. I mean, some people do fine without a fridge and consider them to unnecessary luxury, whereas other think of them as necessities (I'm in the latter group).

After using ice for 18 months, a small refrig was definitely a luxury for me. Others wouldn't consider being on a boat without it. I just got a slightly used larger one, and that really IS luxury -- for me.

For me, hardware and such that makes the boat sail better isn't luxury. For me, luxury is things that are nice to have but don't affect boat performance, like upgraded upholstery in the cabin.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:22   #42

Boat: Irwin 40

Good lighting inside the boat! This was one of the best improvements I made when redoing the interior. Most factory lighting is crap. I added lots of little LED lights with nice fixtures. I can have the inside fully lit or toned down for atmosphere. Areas like the head and galley are well lit. It really makes a big difference.
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:30   #43

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumns Wind View Post
YA, Laughing :-) ... We just did that, I think its more of a hudge pain... 20hrs of sailing and your puppy has pissed in every corner, thinks the puppy pads are for laying on, and when we arrive she looks constipated & I have to walk her. Yet my wife loves her... Luxury/Pain, still deciding
We haven't had the puppy on the boat away from the dock yet but she is pretty good about using the pads. I think the trick is to put her on it every time she looks like she needs to go and then give her a treat if she actually does.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:31   #44

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caracal View Post
............ In the end, I think our notions are quite irrelevant to the OP. I think he has to figure this one out himself, ...............
Of course, but he asked so we responded.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:51   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Of course, but he asked so we responded.
True. I was just making the point that in the end, we can't decide for him. He has to figure it out himself.
Caracal is offline   Reply With Quote