Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2015, 10:00   #31

Re: Best Boat Bikes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
I have two folding Dahons. For what its worth, I would rather have purchased two kids used garage sale mountain bikes or other small fat-tire bikes. Replace the hubs if necessary with drop-outs & replace the seat bolt with a quick release. They get nearly as small and ride better.
Yep spend less and replace eventually. We often kept our on the stern pulpit.... even though they folded. The little ones get you a long way! We rode all over with them, 20 miles some times. If you see a red Dahon with chrome fenders in the boat yards in Chaguamas Trini... that's mine! gave them to the yard guys...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2015, 10:04   #32

thanks for the welcome - I've been lurking for awhile now. Great community; great responses!
dgoanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2015, 10:07   #33

I forgot to say: This is for cruising on a 28' Corsair. We can store in an aft cabin accessible by a hatch, or in the ama(s) - hence the idea of folding. We are headed to Sea of Cortez this March for 4-6 weeks, then at other points to the Great Lakes, Keys, Chesapeake, etc.
Great suggestions below - thank you all!
Old 23-01-2015, 14:32   #34

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

I forgot this point earlier, but it'd probably be wise to coat all small fasteners on bikes with either Loctite, or Tef-Gel. As in for their whole length, after unscrewing them. And T-9's GREAT for chains BTW, it dries to a waxy film, & you just wipe off the excess.

Also, in my post above, I forgot to mention that my mentality when it comes to bike maint. is perhaps a bit different. As I had a paper route, growing up in the Midwest, & ran a bike with full derailleurs & gearing, plus racing brakes, in the worst weather you can imagine... year round. Literally through record breaking Winters.
Plus, I kinda' started early with the wrenching thing. Being the neighborhood bike mechanic by age 7, & tearing them completely apart & putting them back together.

When you're choosing a bike, also, keep in mind that parts for some of these exotic folders may be dang hard to come by, if at all. Even if it's just tires & tubes (let alone exotic drive chains). When you're off the beaten path. So more standard rides could have their perks on that one.

As to stowage, once you take of the wheels & pedals, the options open WAY up. From shelves over the foot of a V-berth, to dead space on the overhead or a bulkhead somewhere. Though for the most part, mine lived fully assembled, just back by the pushpit. Still leaving plenty of room for the traveler, a Big Chocolate Labe, & a nice custom helm seat.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 00:46   #35

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

For me, storage is a problem. My boat is 35ft. I notice most folks with the nicer/larger bikes have vessels 44' plus.
I have a Strida. For me it's perfect. It folds smaller than any other bike, is powder coated aluminum, has a belt drive and gets me around. In Mexico, doing 10 miles was a breeze. I've had many offers to buy it. Tells me they are desired.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Anchored in San diego 003.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	194.1 KB
ID:	95968   Click image for larger version

Name:	Anchored in San diego.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	189.7 KB
ID:	95969  

Name:	San Diego 001.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	188.8 KB
ID:	95970  
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 09:58   #36

very interesting design - how hard is it to learn to ride?
Old 24-01-2015, 10:46   #37

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

I have had a Montague Paratrooper for some time. I love it!

Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 15:22   #38

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoanne View Post
very interesting design - how hard is it to learn to ride?
They ride fine, no learning curve and adjustable seat height. You don't want to get the speed too high and I like that they have disc brakes also.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 16:01   #39

Boat: 07 Leopard 40 / 93 Hunter 30T

Check out Downtube 9FS. Very nice riding afordable bike that doesnt look like a clown bike when your on it.
ShaktisBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 17:11   #40

Boat: Island Packet 40

Gates manufactures a belt drive system for bikes, not sure if it can be retrofitted though.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 05:32   #41

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaktisBoy View Post
Check out Downtube 9FS. Very nice riding afordable bike that doesnt look like a clown bike when your on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Gates manufactures a belt drive system for bikes, not sure if it can be retrofitted though.

One of the bikes I mentioned earlier is my older Downtube, apparently no longer made. Ours uses a Sturmey-Archer internal 8-speed hub, but I think I heard Strumey-Archer was having some difficulties?

Anyway, IMO the 9FS isn't so great because it has a rear suspension... which in turn means (I think) difficulties with a load-bearing rear rack. Also the 9FS and the 9 Silver (latter is front suspension only, has a rear rack) both seem to use derailleurs...

So I'd instead suggest the 8H model might be a better boating option. Front suspension, rear rack... and I see it also includes the Gates carbon belt drive. (I've had no issues with our chain, though.) Looks like maybe powder-coated aluminum in places?

I've been reasonably satisfied with mine...

All that said, all the connecting hardware on ours -- rings crews and cam locks and so forth -- is mostly just normal carbon steel and will rust in a heartbeat if not looked after. Can't tell if newer models might be an improvement or not...

-Chris
Old 22-02-2015, 16:57   #42

Boat: Grand Soleil 46.3

Hey everybody, if you buy a nice bike, BUY A NICE LOCK. We learned our lesson up got lucky!!

S/V Sea Wolf Episode-8 Catching the Bike Thief (P…: http://youtu.be/nMbjmqGFEPc

Sent from my D6616 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

-Jedi master Yoda
natraps116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2015, 22:14   #43
cruiser

Awesome outcome!

The last dirt bag who stole from us, we chased him down & put him in prison for 14 months... felt great.

I'm thinking about buying a pair of Brompton folding bikes, but worried about thieves. Going to check with our insurance company, just in case. The bad guys tend to leave our rusty old MTB boat bikes alone.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 05:04   #44

Boat: Grand Soleil 46.3

This is what protects our bikes now. Nothing less

Sent from my D6616 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1424696652778.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	97757   Click image for larger version

Name:	1424696661013.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	97758  

-Jedi master Yoda
natraps116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 07:14   #45

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
For me, storage is a problem. My boat is 35ft. I notice most folks with the nicer/larger bikes have vessels 44' plus.
I have a Strida. For me it's perfect. It folds smaller than any other bike, is powder coated aluminum, has a belt drive and gets me around. In Mexico, doing 10 miles was a breeze. I've had many offers to buy it. Tells me they are desired.
We met a couple in Georgetown, SC who had a pair of those on their boat. They liked them and we were impressed.