Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2018, 13:43   #61

Re: Battle Threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
Who needs a holding tank?

Why doesn’t everyone have firearms aboard?
So when someone complains about the **** in the water, you just blow them away.....

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 13:58   #62
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
So when someone complains about the **** in the water, you just blow them away.....

skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2018, 19:32   #63

I have a new favorite...

There are so many threads here where there is way more activity than there could possibly be useful information. By way of example, the thread titled "Northwest Passage 2018". Really? There ahve been what... TWO boats than have done this? I ignored this thread completely... until today. I just couldn't resist what on EARTH was being talked about with over 700 meassages...

Here is what I found as the latest message posted...

Quote:
The severity of smells associated with farts mostly has to do with the percentage of different gases present in the body at any given time. Surprisingly, most of the gas within a fart is odorless, and only a very small percent (around 1 percent) causes the signature foul smell of farts. The reason for stinkiness in general comes down to how much sulfurous gasses form within the intestines.
Do these people have lives?
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2018, 19:59   #64
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Without the 99% repetitive and useless posting, forum websites would not make sufficient ad revenues to keep going.

Otherwise we could just crowd-source a static wiki and go home.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 17:55   #65
CLOD

Boat: none

so ......................... why don't lurkers post
Old 09-12-2018, 19:42   #66
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Read the Book:
"Addicted To Outrage"

It does a nice job of walking you through the dopamine rush you get from getting into Online Spats.

Take that away and the Internet world of Chat Rooms and Social Media goes away.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 20:21   #67

Boat: CT 49, 1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Read the Book:
"Addicted To Outrage"

It does a nice job of walking you through the dopamine rush you get from getting into Online Spats.

Take that away and the Internet world of Chat Rooms and Social Media goes away.
A time honoured tradition.
Since feeding people to lions is not as common these days spectators want some form of blood sport amusment.
Q Xopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 22:03   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post

How can I make $10,000.00 per month while cruising?
Just this one. Please.
Old 09-12-2018, 22:07   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
I have a new favorite...

There are so many threads here where there is way more activity than there could possibly be useful information. By way of example, the thread titled "Northwest Passage 2018". Really? There ahve been what... TWO boats than have done this? I ignored this thread completely... until today. I just couldn't resist what on EARTH was being talked about with over 700 meassages...

Here is what I found as the latest message posted...

Do these people have lives?
Obviously there's confusion between the nothwest passage and one a bit further south....
Old 10-12-2018, 16:21   #70

Quote:
Read the Book:
"Addicted To Outrage"

This doesn't quite explain trolling though. Perhaps you could expand on that ?
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 16:51   #71
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
This doesn't quite explain trolling though. Perhaps you could expand on that ?
Mama always told me, " Son find something you are good at and then strive to be the best at it".

Trolling as it turns out is much harder than it looks, so kids don't try this at home. But to make the perfect troll post, you have to have both wit and intelligence to be able to toss out a 1-2 sentence comment that will elicit both an emotional response and an intellectual one behind hit. Oh anyone can just toss out insults, but the key to a great troll post (as with all good humor) is that there has to be some truth in it. You have to base the post on truth, and usually a truth that the OP doesn't want to talk about or acknowledge exists. The OP will then have to decide, does he take the bait and go personal OR does he address the underlying truth of the troll post.

A good troll post is as much science and strategy as it is sharp wit and comedy.

But and this is VERY Important.
Why do "troll posts" work? Why would someone give an unknown person the power to elicit and emotional response to something they read online?

Ah...there my friend is the Magic. In a world where everyone has to sing the same tune, most people actually LONG for and ENjoy the troll posts because they are the true Free Thinkers and trailblazers of the digital world. Imagine an internet without troll posts....friends that is called NPR and it is as boring as watching climate data being manipulated.

{Editors Note: another aspect of a good troll post is to work in topics that are known to be controversial as a parting zinger. The last sentence is VERY IMPORTANT because it is the last though the reader will leave with, so don't waste it. See above for a great example of a properly executed final sentence. That's called setting the hook}
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 17:07   #72

!!!!!!What do you mean manipulated?!?!! HUH!!!
By whom?? For what benefit! Don't you understand science? Or are you a gun loving climate change denier?

Like that?
Allied39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 17:20   #73
cruiser

Quote:
Mama always told me, " Son find something you are good at and then strive to be the best at it".

Trolling as it turns out is much harder than it looks, so kids don't try this at home. But to make the perfect troll post, you have to have both wit and intelligence to be able to toss out a 1-2 sentence comment that will elicit both an emotional response and an intellectual one behind hit. Oh anyone can just toss out insults, but the key to a great troll post (as with all good humor) is that there has to be some truth in it. You have to base the post on truth, and usually a truth that the OP doesn't want to talk about or acknowledge exists.

The OP will then have to decide, does he take the bait and go personal OR does he address the underlying truth of the troll post.

A good troll post is as much science and strategy as it is sharp wit and comedy.

But and this is VERY Important.
Why do "troll posts" work? Why would someone give an unknown person the power to elicit and emotional response to something they read online?

Ah...there my friend is the Magic. In a world where everyone has to sing the same tune, most people actually LONG for and ENjoy the troll posts because they are the true Free Thinkers and trailblazers of the digital world. Imagine an internet without troll posts....friends that is called NPR and it is as boring as watching climate data being manipulated.

{Editors Note: another aspect of a good troll post is to work in topics that are known to be controversial as a parting zinger. The last sentence is VERY IMPORTANT because it is the last though the reader will leave with, so don't waste it. See above for a great example of a properly executed final sentence. That's called setting the hook}
I enjoy reading CF on an extremely cold winter day up here near the Arctic circle in Massachusetts, winter arrived one full month early this year with below freezing daytime temps in early November; how I long for the warming tread which is still five months away.

Winter sucks, bring on the rising temps!!
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 05:31   #74

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50

Just about any post by Smackdaddy...and don't even get me started on bringing back Bob Perry...
Old 11-12-2018, 06:23   #75

Quote:

most people actually LONG for and ENjoy the troll posts because they are the true Free Thinkers and trailblazers of the digital world. Imagine an internet without troll posts....

Beauty being in the eye of the beholder and all that, your explanation suggests that perhaps trolling is often simply an act of, um, self-pleasuring?
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote