Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2010, 03:39   #91

This is the "nautical" genre of free books, over 600 of them:

http://manybooks.net/_scripts/categories.php?code=NAU&s=1
wingNwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2010, 04:06   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
impatiently awaiting my Kindle. Should be here by end of 1st week in Feb. Probably just in time for them to announce a new version. I have been using the Kindle for PC reader and like it a lot, but haven't researched how to get other formats into it yet. I also use the Adobe Digital Editions for Library books.

I looked at the IPad but felt it was to big for a reader and I don't need the computer functionality so I went with the Kindle.

I checked out the Sony reader but have decided against giving Sony any more of my money. That'l teach em...lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Project Gutenberg has thousands of free books
Amazon
Barnes and Noble

Those are the only ones I know of. I haven't downloaded Calibre yet but I noticed they seem to have a list of download sites. It seems like a great tool, easy to use and free....

You'll love your Kindle, and Calibre is a great piece of software if you have a lot of PDF's or a lot of stuff that's otherwise not-straight-up-amazon. Most of the gutenberg stuff is available for free from Amazon as well: they have a lot of $0.00 books (including "delivery" to your Kindle).

I have the "Generation 2" edition Kindle (not the latest one, but the one before that) and it's terrific. I'd recommend a clip on book light for yours. You can get by without one, but it's a really nice add on.

Good luck!
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2010, 07:40   #93

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Thanks rebel heart.
I have ordered the leather case with the LED as I was told by someone who has a Kindle that low light reading isn't good without it. Its going to be a long month. I went through the exercise of ordering an ebook from Barnes and Noble including opening an account only to be told at the end of the process that they wont ship to Canada. There is a blog entry on their site that says they will be shipping here by Dec. 1 but the last blog entry was sometime in 2009, so I don't know which year Dec. 1 refers to.

I also noticed when I ordered my Kindle that shipping time to the US was about 3 days (just before Christmas) and yet it is 5 to 7 weeks for me to get one. Bummer.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2010, 08:44   #94

That's really weird; Amazon must be slammed. They said the wifi-only Kindle is their best selling product of all time, so I can only imagine they're waiting for more of them to get made.

And if anyone is looking for the Hornblower books in PDF send me a PM. :-)
Old 28-12-2010, 17:37   #95

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient.Mariner View Post
I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations as to their favourite download source and the best books.
e-Book Novels - Download Unlimited eBooks per month.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2010, 18:54   #96

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
I don't think its a shortage of supply. Delivery to the US was 3 days and the site said they were in stock. Actually I ordered the 3G unit.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2010, 05:11   #97

Boat: MacGregor 25', Columbia 26 Classic
I thought that was odd as well, especially since you can't order a Kindle from the Canadian website.

Maybe Amazon just wants to make sure that they have enough for the US market before they commit to foreign markets. Or it could be a "border" thing.

It'll probably ease up in the new year.
frank_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2010, 05:22   #98

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Turn your netbook into a Kindle

Turn your netbook into a feature rich e book reader

Seems like the better thing to me
Does so much more
Old 29-12-2010, 07:01   #99

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post

One of my reasons for the Kindle is it is easy to hold. Easier than a book. A netbook for me is rather cumbersome in comparison. But going with the "everything has to have a dual purpose in order to be allowed aboard" idea I could see it for some.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2010, 07:15   #100

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
As a result of this thread, I downloaded Kindle for PC and Nook for PC into my netbook and ordered a few books from Amazon and Barnes & Noble to experiment. I'm quite happy with the results--the 8 hour battery life on the netbook is enough for me to curl up in bed with a good book.

I also searched the Kindle store for cruising guides and downloaded ones for Hawaii, Jamaica, and Turks & Caicos. The price was a lot lower than the hard copy versions, and the quality seems pretty good. Now if we can get all the cruising guides to publish as ebooks, we can save a lot of money and storage space. The cruising guide authors should be happy, as more people will buy an ebook at $10 than a hard copy at $40, and the only people who will be hurt are the ones who print and sell the expensive hard copy books.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2010, 07:22   #101

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do
Even better than that would be toshiba's dual screen net book. You can actually then use it like a real book with two pages. Kind of expensive though, but still a true computer.

I'd go with a device that could do more personally. If the iPad is too big, the sanding galaxy would be a good choice.

I'm a much bigger fan of windows slates though since there are no limitations with them - they are full computers.

Kindle is hard to be at it's price though for what it does.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2010, 09:35   #102

I have a netbook and a laptop; the Kindle outclasses them easily as an e-reader.
Old 04-01-2011, 23:03   #103
JRM

Boat: Valiant 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I have a netbook and a laptop; the Kindle outclasses them easily as an e-reader.
THIS!!!

We got a Kindle for Christmas, and the screen is amazing. You can actually read it for long periods of time without your eyes exploding. I have the laptop and the iphone, and have used an ipad quite a bit. No comparison. It's as close to real paper as you can get without being real paper.

Josh
JRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 15:17   #104

I have all of the RYA books in full color on my iPad. Just finished reading the Count of Monte Cristo, at one point I reached to turn the page and was confused as to why I couldn't feel it! The battery is great, averaging ten hours of actual use, browsing the web, you tube ect. It's very nice to read from and can do so much more. More and more sailing specific apps are coming out all the time. Actually I am posting from it with the app for this specific forum! Love my iPad!
Jude2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 18:49   #105

Boat: Lipari 41
Re: Anybody Have an e-Reader ?

My wife and I both got Kindles this year but wished one of us had gotten the 3G...seems the 3G will access the Internet cost free...have to go to the 'experimental' area under the menu...we heard of others getting 'spot f'cast' and doing some email stuff...saves a lot of room on the boat once you get rid of all of those books...we even have some cookbooks...might find some sharing software out there...now Amazon is offering 'sharing' of books....check it out....
R2boat is offline   Reply With Quote