Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2010, 08:17   #61

Boat: Seafarer 38 cutter rigged
Send a message via MSN to Allan S
Just found out my wifes credit card pays for my downloads on my KOBO automaticly!...free books for me
Allan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2010, 07:30   #62

You can go to sites other than Amazon to download books etc. There are free converters for different formats for the Kindle, including EPUB. Also using Calibre you can download heaps of newspapers and magazines @ no cost!! There is a waterproof casing to hold the Kindle & other e-readers. It actually allows the Kindle to float. Just got to be fast at hauling it in.
klang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:10   #63

Boat: Prout 37
Does anyone know why Amazon will not send me a Kindle to Malaysia, but they will to Thailand, I have to wait until I sail up and find an address that they will ship to??
Is there a better way?
Legal please!
moggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 13:09   #64

Boat: Seafarer 38 cutter rigged
Send a message via MSN to Allan S
My KOBO is crap, the wifes KOBO is great...go figure.
Allan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 16:03   #65

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan S View Post
My KOBO is crap, the wifes KOBO is great...go figure.

Get you're own credit card?
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 07:26   #66

Boat: Bristol 38.8
Whatever device you prefer, some type of e-reader is essential on a boat, but it has to be durable.

We have a Kindle, and so far it has stood up well to the sun, wind, salt spray, etc. But we're pretty careful, and when not in use the Kindle lives in a waterproof neoprene case.

If I were planning to be out longer than a week, I would carry a spare.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 07:50   #67

Boat: Fuji 45'
Send a message via Yahoo to DiverChick71 Send a message via Skype™ to DiverChick71
I had a NOOK, and loved it until I dropped it and the screen cracked. Of COURSE it was in a nook hard cover/protector. I could still read with the crack, but after 2 weeks it completely crapped out.... won't even turn on. I'm so grumpy about it. Next time I'm getting a Kindle.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:36   #68

Just wanted to chime that we both have Kindles on board as full time liveaboards / coastal cruisers. They work terrific. Here's mine on my lap, reading Fagan's cruising guide and doing some "is that the harbor he's talking about in the book?" kind of stuff.

I plow through books now, including a lot of classics (that are free). Probably one of the best technology devices I've gotten in a while.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2010, 20:52   #69

Boat: Currently boatless
Quote:
Originally Posted by Microship View Post
Actually, that's not a problem at all. The native Kindle doesn't support the EPUB format, but it is trivially easy to convert with a free tool that every Kindle owner should know about... Calibre.
Hi Steve,

My understanding is that most library books are DRM protected epub files and that Calibre can convert epub...but not DRM protected epub. Have you done the conversion with a library book?

From Calibre's site:

How do I use purchased EPUB books with calibre?

Most purchased EPUB books have DRM. This prevents calibre from opening them. You can still use calibre to store and transfer them to your e-book reader. First, you must authorize your reader on a windows machine with Adobe Digital Editions. Once this is done, EPUB books transferred with calibre will work fine on your reader. When you purchase an epub book from a website, you will get an ”.acsm” file. This file should be opened with Adobe Digital Editions, which will then download the actual ”.epub” e-book. The e-book file will be stored in the folder “My Digital Editions”, from where you can add it to calibre.
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2010, 20:54   #70

Boat: Vic Franck Delta 50
Livia - you're probably right... I must be thinking of the un-DRM'd EPUB variant. I have not dealt with those, just old PRCs and some other vintage eBooks that I used to have under Palm OS.

Sorry for any confusion!

Still loving my Kindle... just added the 5-book set of Hitchhiker's Guide (ten bucks) and want to stencil DON'T PANIC on the front of the leather cover!

Cheers,
Steve
Old 13-12-2010, 21:23   #71

Boat: Vagabond 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by moggie View Post
Does anyone know why Amazon will not send me a Kindle to Malaysia, but they will to Thailand, I have to wait until I sail up and find an address that they will ship to??
Is there a better way?
Legal please!
I would bet that import/export regulations have something to do with that situation. I do not know a way around it unless you have a relative/friend elsewhere that it could be shipped to, and then forwarded to you.

I have kindle software on my PC and smart phone. It is free. So I have never purchased a Kindle. It functions the same as far as I know (whisper sync and all). I use it most on my phone. Maybe one or both of these might be an option for you.
Old 14-12-2010, 11:56   #72

Boat: Currently boatless
Quote:
Livia - you're probably right... I must be thinking of the un-DRM'd EPUB variant. I have not dealt with those, just old PRCs and some other vintage eBooks that I used to have under Palm OS.

Sorry for any confusion!
I was bummed for a moment because I preferred the Kindle but ended up buying a Nook because I use the library voraciously...if the Kindle worked with library books I would have been bummed that I hadn't bought one!

FYI - I have now checked out books for my Nook from a US public library and a Canadian public library while outside of either country. Free books...less of a selection than buying, but free.
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2010, 12:09   #73
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
Quote:

Sorry for any confusion!

Still loving my Kindle... just added the 5-book set of Hitchhiker's Guide (ten bucks) and want to stencil DON'T PANIC on the front of the leather cover!

Cheers,
Steve

Don't forget your towel.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2010, 18:29   #74
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
I am not a Luddite by any stretch....I prefer turning pages.....Plus I am not convinced that all this electromagnetic stuff is good for us.

If Algae X Kills Algae
What do those earphone/handsfree doohickeys kill?
A Kindle on your lap for hours? Oh the humanity!!
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 07:40   #75

I was a big "I like turning pages" person; I get annoyed with paper books now. It's so much easier to not have to jam your thumb in a paperback. And for complicated books with a lot of characters (Count of Monte Cristo, etc) it's so nice to just create highlights and make little notes here and there rather than have an accompanying notebook (what I used to do).

I blast through books now with the fury. Before I'd read maybe one every 1-2 months, now I'm reading hundreds of pages a week.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote