Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 29-01-2012, 07:23   #91

Nikon D7000 Tokina 12-24
LostAtSea2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2012, 08:52   #92

Boat: too many
Re: Any photographers with DSLR's around?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
Ohh dear, undertaking I don't know the legalities of it over where you are, but regardless it is not a very sensible thing to do. Looks like the people mover was starting to move over
I never expected to have to explain my driving because I prefaced the video "not sailing related" and just thought folks would watch for 5 seconds. I live in the Sierra foothills between (2) 2 lane, east/west trans Sierra highways, 50 & 88. After 40+ years of driving these highways, it has always been the same, on the 2 lane part folks poke along at 40 mph, along comes one of the few and far between passing lanes and everyone speeds up, stays in the left lane, and nobody is able to pass. Listen to my own engine as that group of cars approaches the passing lane. This is at 8000' elevation and a uphill passing lane. Most all drivers assume if they are close to wide open, they won't need to pull over because they don't feel like another car could pass them. The mini van was thinking that, but when he saw me closing the gap, he started to pull over, but too late as I was close to passing already.

At least that is my story Officer, and I'm sticking to it.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2012, 08:59   #93
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Any Photographers with DSLR's Around ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo485 View Post
We use a simple, waterproof point-and-shoot and the GoPro.
With the GoPro we got involved with kite aerial photography (KAP)
Must post examples! I like the idea with the kite

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAtSea2011 View Post
Nikon D7000 Tokina 12-24
I have the same Tokina 12-24 with Canon EF mount. Very nice lens! Currently a neighbor cruiser borrowed it for trial because I am selling it. This lens is not compatible with full size sensors, so I was "forced" to buy the 17-40mm f4.0L lens instead Which also makes a decent standard lens for crop sensor camera's BTW!

oh, the pic for this post; the bird I posted earlier lives here:

(It's an Oriole guys )

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2012, 09:44   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo485 View Post
We use a simple, waterproof point-and-shoot and the GoPro. We find the GoPro to be excellent for lazy people like us. When out kayaking or hiking, we put it on the head strap and leave it to take a photo every 5 seconds. In the evening there will be a couple of thousand photos and we keep the best 10. Some unusual and candid photos have resulted.

With the GoPro we got involved with kite aerial photography (KAP) and I bought a high thrust kite for the purpose. We trialled it while landsailing across the Atacama. We simply clamp the GoPro to a piece of PVC tube through which the kite string passes, switch on the video or the continuous photo shoot, let the kite up, attach it to a suitable spot on the mast or chassis and away we go.

Initially it was jumping around too much so we hung some ballast off the GoPro to stabilise the movement.

The beauty of the GoPro on the kite is that it is like a perfect aerial photo shoot from a helicopter with the additional advantages that it is always following us and always aimed at us. We can adjust the distance either with the kite string or later with photo editing.

The next stage for us is to do it from the boat but.... I can´t find the kite!

Anyone else tried the GoPro on a kite from their boat?
For last summer I ordered a kite and mount for my GoPro for exactly that. The kite showed up after I'd headed to Greece so I never tried. Next summer perhaps
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2012, 14:32   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
I never expected to have to explain my driving because I prefaced the video "not sailing related" and just thought folks would watch for 5 seconds. I live in the Sierra foothills between (2) 2 lane, east/west trans Sierra highways, 50 & 88. After 40+ years of driving these highways, it has always been the same, on the 2 lane part folks poke along at 40 mph, along comes one of the few and far between passing lanes and everyone speeds up, stays in the left lane, and nobody is able to pass. Listen to my own engine as that group of cars approaches the passing lane. This is at 8000' elevation and a uphill passing lane. Most all drivers assume if they are close to wide open, they won't need to pull over because they don't feel like another car could pass them. The mini van was thinking that, but when he saw me closing the gap, he started to pull over, but too late as I was close to passing already.

At least that is my story Officer, and I'm sticking to it.
I could not help the wind up

Looked like a few miles of easy overtaking roads ruined by double lines.

I've always (ok, apart from my first few driving years ) resisted the undertake and drop hints to drivers to move over When I'm in Germany it is fun reminding drivers that are doing 250kmh that they are too slow
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2012, 15:52   #96

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
I could not help the wind up

Looked like a few miles of easy overtaking roads ruined by double lines.

I've always (ok, apart from my first few driving years ) resisted the undertake and drop hints to drivers to move over When I'm in Germany it is fun reminding drivers that are doing 250kmh that they are too slow
I'd never heard the term "undertaking" until I moved to New Zealand. I've lived in Canada and the US, and the term is largely unknown in both places. As far as I know, undertaking is fully legal in both places (some state laws may vary, I guess, but I don't think so).

It's seen as rude to block the left lane so some poor sod has to pass you on the right, but not illegal or even that bad to pass on the right.
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2012, 16:06   #97

Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40

Here are a few photos, Nick, from the early days showing the kite and the results. They have been shrunk to around 100 kB so we can upload from the boat, so the resolution does not truly reflect what the GoPro is capable of.

Makes me laugh to see the PVC tube in the photo and the obvious swinging. In later attempts we moved the GoPro lower down the PVC tube and hung a weight below it to stop the jerky movements of the camera.

In the photo showing the kite (taken from the ground), you can see from left to right - the GoPro camera, the kite, the tail / kite bag and a bird.

If I can find the more recent photos I will upload a couple of the better ones, so you can the possibilities for KAP. But if I can find the kite buried in the lazarette, I will take some tomorrow over the anchorage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GOPR0302 (2).jpg
Views:	383
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	36638   Click image for larger version

Name:	GOPR0482 (2).jpg
Views:	372
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	36639  

Name:	GOPR0501 (2).jpg
Views:	343
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	36640   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2776.JPG
Views:	383
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	36641  

Name:	IMG_2762.JPG
Views:	300
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	36642  
Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2012, 19:14   #98

Boat: Traditional 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Check out the Canon Powershot D10 too. Waterproof, Shockproof, relatively cheap!

ciao!
Nick.
Thanks for that. I did have a look at it too. But like the added outdoor kit that comes with the Gopro. The Bike kits appears perfect for mounting the camera to the Push/pull-pits, The Head gear would be great to use in a blow-keeping the hands free etc.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2012, 19:51   #99

Boat: Bristol 29.9 / Hunter 31 / Beneteau Oceanis 41.1

Some Great Photographs and helpful information!
When I hit the water I normally will take:
Nikon D700
Nikon 24-70 2.8
Nikon 70-200 2.8
Nikon 50mm 1.2 Ais
Nikon 2x Teleconverter
Nikon SB-800
Set of ND filters and Circular Polarizing Filter
Laptop with Lightroom

And like Jimbo427 the GoPro with a kite setup has been allot of fun as of late!

This covers about anything I like to shoot. The comments about humidity are spot on, keep things dry and dry bags and pelican cases are a must when out in the dink.
Happy Sailing!
Chris W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2012, 19:55   #100
Eternal Member

A few pix from a Maine cruise....most taken with a Nikon D200.

Click twice on each pic for full resolution. 2pps

Maine Pix 2004 and 2007

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 01:51   #101

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper

Thanks for that. I did have a look at it too. But like the added outdoor kit that comes with the Gopro. The Bike kits appears perfect for mounting the camera to the Push/pull-pits, The Head gear would be great to use in a blow-keeping the hands free etc.
The Gopro is great and this kite thing is already driving me towards buying it but it is wide angle only and I think you will have plenty situations where you would like a standard zoom lens instead.

Edit: forgot pics again:

ciao!
Nick.

Old 30-01-2012, 01:55   #102

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris W
Some Great Photographs and helpful information!
When I hit the water I normally will take:
Nikon D700
Nikon 24-70 2.8
Nikon 70-200 2.8
Nikon 50mm 1.2 Ais
Nikon 2x Teleconverter
Nikon SB-800
Set of ND filters and Circular Polarizing Filter
Laptop with Lightroom

And like Jimbo427 the GoPro with a kite setup has been allot of fun as of late!

This covers about anything I like to shoot. The comments about humidity are spot on, keep things dry and dry bags and pelican cases are a must when out in the dink.
Happy Sailing!
Hi Chris, very nice gear... a 50mm f1.2 wow! My wife is currently trying a shot for the Dgrin challenge at around 50mm and could use that

But you lack wide angle, or do you use he gopro for that? I love the 17-40mm we have.

ciao!
Nick.

Old 30-01-2012, 02:09   #103

Boat: 33ft sloop

I am still using film on medium-size format, i.c. I use a Fuji 680 III for portrait and still and a Hasselblad with a 40 MP hardback for the outside world.
The Fuji is too big for active camerawork and the sheer size of the files when digitalised are as such that only very powerful computers can handle them.
I have images with a file size of 1-2 GB, for the digitalising I use a an Epson V750 pro.
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 02:20   #104

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacG
I am still using film on medium-size format, i.c. I use a Fuji 680 III for portrait and still and a Hasselblad with a 40 MP hardback for the outside world.
The Fuji is too big for active camerawork and the sheer size of the files when digitalised are as such that only very powerful computers can handle them.
I have images with a file size of 1-2 GB, for the digitalising I use a an Epson V750 pro.
Wow! You take the Hasselblad with you aboard?

Here's the pic that I entered in the last Dgrin challenge. Only got 4 votes but I could not come up with any good ideas for the "angles and shapes" theme. I then took this broad daylight blue sky & palm trees pic and photoshopped it into this moon light kinda scene.... guess they don't like that heheh 4 votes wasn't really bad even as many got disqualified or 0-1 votes...

ciao!
Nick.

Old 30-01-2012, 02:55   #105

Boat: 33ft sloop

This is with the hardback, was on loan because the one I ordered did not come in at that time. Picture is some years old but it is what I like doing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Kill-Bill3.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	271.8 KB
ID:	36671  
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote