Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 30-01-2012, 03:04   #106
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacG
This is with the hardback, was on loan because the one I ordered did not come in at that time. Picture is some years old but it is what I like doing.
Looks like she didn't fancy you much Hope you kept all body parts attached with that blade in her hands

Here's a sloth that just gave birth. The umbilical cord is still there and she's washing the baby:

ciao!
Nick.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 04:29   #107
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
Re: Any Photographers with DSLR's Around ?

We have a couple of Pentax Kx's but we rarely take them far from the house. We have learned the hard way that if we take them outside as much as we go outside, they won't last a year in this environment. We step out on calm days to get sunsets, etc. Even so, dust on the image is a huge problem. It's easier to deal with in post processing than to keep opening the camera up and trying to clean the sensor. I use Corel Paintshop Pro for the processing because I am comfortable with it and I don't need all the photoshopping capabilities of the Adobe products. I don't move pixels around, as I think that would be 'dishonest' in most cases. I do use the software to remove haze, sharpen, and of course, crop. In the case of the dust spots on the Kx images, they tend to be on the top edge of the photos and mostly obvious in photos of sky or clouds. I can usually crop them out.

If you've seen our blog you know we have thousands of tropical, boating, underwater photos. I've been through 8 cameras in three years. I've been through a Kodak, three Sony's, three Olympus...

Right now, I am shooting with waterproof only. Got too expensive otherwise.
I have a little Pentax Optio W-80 that goes in my cargo pocket shorts with me everywhere and I have an Olympus Tough 8010 that I use in an underwater housing for our boat and diving stuff.

This is my third Olympus, after the SW 7710 and 1030. I got a year each out of those 'waterproof' point and shoots. I learned that in Asian marketing lingo, 'waterproof' actually means 'splash resistant'. But by putting the waterproof Oly in an underwater housing...so far it's working. Belt and suspenders. I don't particularly like the Olympus. It's way too slow. You miss a lot of shots with it, waiting for it to boot up, or to get ready for the next photo. Frustrating. Does good movies, though, and it's rugged. That's about all I can say for it.

The Optio is pretty good, and the cheapest waterproof point and shoot of the lot. It's biggest drawback is no lens cover. constantly have to watch for smears, dried salt, etc.

I looked at the Canon, and I LIKE Canons, but theirs is just too bulky to drop into a pocket.

I am really keen on the new little Nikon, though. Might buy one of them next trip to the USA next month.........to look at catamarans for sale!!
Old 30-01-2012, 07:08   #108

Cruisers Forum Supporter

@Canibul, yes, if you like the Pentax and want to use it aboard, you will need the weather proofing of the K7. You also have to check if the lenses are weather proofed too, especially the seal with the body.

Weather proofed Canon and Nikon DSLR's have no trouble with dust on the sensors, nor corrosion. I have my 7D for 2 years now and not a single speck while never cleaned the sensor yet. Well, the camera auto-cleans it by shaking a bit.

Bulkiness: remember that all the brands are equally smart. When a camera model is bigger than another, there is a good reason for it, often the lens and now also the sensor size.

ciao!
Nick.

Old 30-01-2012, 07:19   #109
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

If I can't slip it into a pocket, I tend to leave it behind.

I forgot to mention we bought a GoPro last year and used it a bit, but haven't touched it in months. It was a big disappointment.
Old 30-01-2012, 07:54   #110

Boat: Privilege 482

I'm looking to update my 20D and was about to commit to either a 5DmkII or a 7D, but decided to wait as there are rumors that both are set to receive refreshes this year. Which theoretically means either a better camera or least better prices on the older models.

Was also salivating over the Canon 35mm 1.4 L prime. Anyone using this lens? Especially for shooting video?
teneicm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 08:08   #111

Boat: 33ft sloop

I am going to sell the big Fuji. It is a fantastic studiocamera but too big for any outside work as long as you cannot use a (heavy) tripod.
The Hasselblad is much more handy and the 40MP hardback is good enough. The Zeiss lenses are superior to the newer Fujinon and even today with the digiback the quality is pretty good. However, not so good as film.

I have a special watertight case as HB doesn't like the seaclimate.
Maybe that I buy the NEK5 - seems to be very handy for quick shots.
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 09:19   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacG View Post
and the 40MP hardback is good enough.
ROTFLOL ...
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 13:16   #113

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by teneicm
I'm looking to update my 20D and was about to commit to either a 5DmkII or a 7D, but decided to wait as there are rumors that both are set to receive refreshes this year. Which theoretically means either a better camera or least better prices on the older models.

Was also salivating over the Canon 35mm 1.4 L prime. Anyone using this lens? Especially for shooting video?
I was waiting but glad I bought the 5D2 anyway or I would still have been waiting :-) Much we do with it is manual focus anyway.

I think the 35mm is not wide enough for video on a crop sensor. But I'm no good at video so check elsewhere.

I need to identify ths fellow.... anyone know? :

ciao!
Nick.

Old 30-01-2012, 13:23   #114
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

I'd say that was a wolf spider, Nick.

You do nice macro work.
Old 30-01-2012, 13:35   #115

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3
I'd say that was a wolf spider, Nick.

You do nice macro work.
That's him! Thanks

It's actually Josie doing most of it atm...

ciao!
Nick.

Old 30-01-2012, 13:36   #116
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Kudos to Josie! Macro was a passion of mine for a few years.
Old 30-01-2012, 13:45   #117

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3
Kudos to Josie! Macro was a passion of mine for a few years.
Yes, I am crazy about it too... bought the lens and flash unit for it and Josie told me I'm crazy to like that with the bugs etc. Then one day she helped when I wanted to shoot leafcutter ants. I did tethered shooting from a MacbookPro and this allows you to see through the lens right from the laptop, control focus etc. So, she looks these ants straight in the eyes and saw them strugling with the leaves against the wind and went to help them carry the leaves, no joke!

Since then I hardly get the macro lens in my hands anymore She just came back with some crazy close shots. I'll try to sell them

I see you! :

ciao!
Nick.

Old 30-01-2012, 16:44   #118

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

I did some research on GIMP and found there is an add on, UFRaw, to handle raw files. Even installs on Windows. Then I found out my camera can't store raw data...doh...
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 19:48   #119

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz
I did some research on GIMP and found there is an add on, UFRaw, to handle raw files. Even installs on Windows. Then I found out my camera can't store raw data...doh...
No RAW? Now, that's good news! It means you're gonna get that G1-X

To have raw files is really good. There is 2-4 extra stops of data in them so that you have options while developing just like with the chemicals and film. In a jpg in comparison, there is may be 1 stop in it... maximum.

Hurry up now, don't.fall behind!

ciao!
Nick.

Old 30-01-2012, 20:26   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
No RAW? Now, that's good news! It means you're gonna get that G1-X

To have raw files is really good. There is 2-4 extra stops of data in them so that you have options while developing just like with the chemicals and film. In a jpg in comparison, there is may be 1 stop in it... maximum.

Hurry up now, don't.fall behind!

ciao!
Nick.
Do not panic the first time you bring a RAW photo into a editor. It does look like crap. That is why you manipulate it.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote