Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-07-2013, 13:48   #541

Boat: Ohlson 35
Re: Any Photographers with DSLR's Around ?

Squall at sunrise. Steephill Cove, Isle of Wight, UK.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Steephill Cove B&W2.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	183.2 KB
ID:	63565  
Gavala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 13:57   #542

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38 cutter

She's too good looking to be hidden away. Selfish of you.
Krogensailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 18:11   #543
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Very good pictures here, thanks for posting them!

Today I visited the Basilica Cathedral of St Louis, Missouri:

This one was captured with my new 40mm f/2.8 pancake lens, handheld:

Here my good old 24-105L in action again: tack sharp using tripod:

More 24-105L:

And off course my 17-40L wide angle at work:

ciao!
Nick.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:45   #544

At some point I want to get an UW housing. A housing for the 1Dx is out of the question so I was thinking about an Ikelite for my 5D2. My "compact" dSLR is supposed to be my holiday/sailing camera and for that camera I quite like the idea of a GPS. I have the GPS for my 1Dx but it won't work on the 5D2 (don't want to have to use the GPS in logging mode and sync by time).

So now I am thinking I should replace my 5D2 with a camera that supports the external GPS like 5D3 or get the 6D or 70D which has the GPS built in. Then I can buy the UW housing.

The 70D sounds interesting with the phase detection AF for video and the flip out screen, but I'm not sure if I want to give up FF

The IOS app for the 6D/70D looks interesting.

Just not sure which way to go atm.

On the plus side I don't see myself needing the UW this season so I have time to decide what to do.

For now I am close to biting the bullet and getting the 100-400 and have that with the 24-105 as my sailing glass.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:17   #545

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina

Jedi asked whether or not there were any DLSR aficonados on the forum. Almost 600 messages later, I think he's got an answer!

The last big SLR purchase for us was in early eighties, and was an OM-10. It was purchased to document the honeymoon. :-)

Seems that the venerable old SLR needs replacement. I've been limping along with a cheap Kodak DSLR, but it's barely acceptable even for internet postings. Soooo ... along with some of the other members who have commented, I'm in the market for an upgrade. I've been looking at the press releases on the so-called full-frame DSLR cameras like the Nikon D800. Anyone have experience with those? In ads, they're said to be a near-replacement item for a medium format camera setup .... Can I believe that?
Old 07-08-2013, 06:31   #546

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyO View Post
Thanks for the compliments.

Fact is that you get better everytime you go. I saw an increase in quality in this safari's batch compared to last year's. Better equipment does help. Although the principal driver for quality shots is good camera technique, you cannot get around the fact that high resolution sensors make a huge difference. If you have a sharp shot, good shot but you would have liked to use 600mm instead of 300mm, these days you can just recut it.

For instance, the buffalo with the oxpecker on its nose was shot as a full frame portrait, I recompositioned the shot in Adobe Lightroom.

I noticed that although I MUCH prefer the workings of my 1D MkIII, I chose my recently acquired 7D body several times as a) the smaller sensor has a higher magnification (1.6x vs 1.3x) and b) almost double the resolution. This is where Nikon's D800 is so fantastic, you can crop the 36MP to 18 and have a 1.5x boost to your telephoto lens.

I must also confess that this is chose the 3 year old 7D over the new 6D two months ago. Focal length is everything and with a 1.6x sensor, 1.4x converter and 2.8 120-300mm you can cover everything except for the really small birds, unless you are lucky.

I really wish Canon would build a 1D with crop capability. Because although the 7D is a nice amateur camera, I really miss the 1D solidity and ergonomics when I use it.

I will never go back to film - but I do have to say there is one thing that is hard to do with digital, and that is to keep track of your shots. I have many Gb of backup space but this week I was trying to find shots from 2004 and I can only find the JPG's I created, not the original CR2's. Backing up is a real issue! Porting is also an issue - who can still read any floppy discs of 20 years ago? What happens to your pics in 20 years time? At least film can lie in a box for 100 years and still be restored.

So back-up, people!! And keep the RAW files as well as the JPG's.

And the advantage is that I now have my shots as a screensaver via Apple TV on my 54" HD TV. What a joy.

Onno
My bad for not searching .... for JazzyO's pics in this thread a few pages back...
Old 10-08-2013, 18:32   #547

Boat: Jeanneau 44DS
We took a little trip across Galveston Bay in Texas, USA last weekend to spend the night in a little bayou. I got a couple of shots and tried out an iPad app, PhotoGene, to edit them rather than my standard Photoshop CS3 (I know I'm many upgrades behind). My verdict is that editing with the iPad is good in a pinch but the images have sort of a generic look to them so Photoshop will still be my go to digital darkroom.

Garrettw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 05:40   #548

Boat: Jeanneau 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
At some point I want to get an UW housing...
I love my underwater Ikelite housing for my Nikon D7000 and use it a lot, the quality of the underwater pictures using a DSLR is many times better than typical handheld cameras, particularly when using an underwater flash.

Old 15-08-2013, 06:09   #549

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

This was taken by one of the crew on the trip home on Bass Strait. May have been the lighthouse at Portland or Cape Bridgewater.

Lovely photo by Steve, who happens to be a Canon rep so needless to say had a very nice Canon EOS 5D Mark III. The original image size was 12MB so I had to resize it. Pity, as I don't have proper software for this so some of the incredible crispness has been lost.

He also took a lovely photo of the boat at Apollo Bay which we had printed and framed in the hall at home, and it is so finely detailed that I regularly refer to it when working out issues with the rig. The details of the blocks at the top of the mast are good enough to work out the size and brands involved. I would have to climb the mast to get a better view.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Manera0038b.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	348.4 KB
ID:	65538  
GILow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 06:15   #550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post

I love my underwater Ikelite housing for my Nikon D7000 and use it a lot, the quality of the underwater pictures using a DSLR is many times better than typical handheld cameras, particularly when using an underwater flash.
What size lens do you use UW? Most of my canon L lenses won't fit in the port. My 35L f1.4, 16-35L 1 f2.8 and 40mm f2.8 are the only lenses that I have that will fit but I have a feeling it's a good FL anyway
Old 15-08-2013, 07:46   #551

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

I just took up photography, bought a Pentax K 30. Still figuring out all the bells and whistles. I come from a family of hard core professional underwater photographers, they are happy I'm finally taking an interest.
So far I just have the standard 18-55 mm lens, and a .25x super AF fisheye lens. Will post a picture as soon as I capture a decent image

Anyone else out there with a Pentax K 30?
Old 01-09-2013, 18:32   #552
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Tsk tsk tsk, girls with Pentax cameras bragging but no pics to be seen

I've been busy with my old Canon 5D Mk.2 again here in Colorado;

Farm:

Country roads:

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 19:21   #553
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

so with a dslr camera, this pic would look awesome????

zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 19:35   #554

Lets see if I can upload a few. I'm a bit embarrassed, these are pretty lousy, but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it. Most of my pics are of boat projects, but here is one with my fisheye lens, a neat old Texas hillcountry tree. Then with my regular lens, our dog Scupper.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	402.2 KB
ID:	66340  
Old 01-09-2013, 20:22   #555

Let's try again..
OMG that took forever..

Texas tree
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	475.4 KB
ID:	66342