Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Marinas
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2023, 09:13   #1

Boat: N/A
Treating yacht as seasonal "destination"

I'm interested in having my sailboat permanently located in Florida or Mexico for personal use over two weeks around Christmas, and a couple weeks in March.

The remainder of the time, I'd like to figure out, if it could be used as a private charter vessel and managed by a Charter company? (Fort Lauderdale maybe?)

I'm 8 years from retirement, and plan to liveaboard and travel from that point forward. Until then I'd like to figure out if the above plan makes any sense at all.....Thoughts?
Gillie70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 09:26   #2

Boat: 40ft Catamaran
Re: Treating yacht as seasonal "destination"

my philosophy is - if you cant afford something and you have to rent it out to get money for it then you shouldnt have it.

charter companies dont care. they have someone elses property they can flog to death while it is in good condition and discard later. i dont want my yachts in that position or my cars in that position or anything else i own in that position including my house. so i dont rent / charter anything. all my stuff stays wrapped in plastic until ready for the next use on dry land.
zurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 09:39   #3

For those needs, probably better to charter someone else's boat and let them have the headaches of ownership, insurance, storage, loss of capital.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 09:46   #4

https://www.mooringsyachtownership.com/

You buy the boat, and put it into charter. They manage 100% of the boat. You get 12 weeks a year to use the boat. OR, only use a few weeks and keep the boat in charter for your personal weeks.

At the end of the contract, you take possession. It requires a substantial down payment. Charter pays for mortgage.

It's not for everyone, but it is inline with what you're looking for and your timeline.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 09:50   #5

Boat: N/A

Thanks Shrew, I'm reading through the info on the link now. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
Gillie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
destination, yacht