Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2018, 05:45   #31

Boat: Lagoon 400S2
Re: Why don't Cruisers Fly their National Flags?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwedeking2 View Post
Just to offer a different opinion, I dont fly a national flag. It's not that I'm anti anything but rather I don't associate any attachment based on where you were randomly born. I think the whole "my country is the best" thing is way overblown (and historically an excuse for way too much drama).

I do fly the flag of the country on the starboard spreader as a sign of respect (and to avoid drama).
It is not about you and where you are born, the flag is about the vessel and it's registration country.

You may or may not fly your personal country flag, region flag or club flag on port, but the vessel should clearly indicate his name, home harbor, register id if applicable and the country flag to be identifiable on the water.

And of course the courtesy flag as a sign that the skipper recognizes and accepts the laws of the visited country.
Old 19-10-2018, 06:48   #32

Boat: Rafiki 37

I fly a very small CND flag. I’m not a particularly patriotic, although I do appreciate being Canadian. I always thought it was mandatory, or at least customary, to fly your vessel’s national flag somewhere off the stern. I like it b/c it says something about languages onboard.

I also fly courtesy flags whenever I travel in foreign waters (which has only been the USA so far).
Old 19-10-2018, 08:01   #33
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

When you're all in an anchorage together collectively escaping some aspect of society you're not keen on. Why complicate things? Fly the country flag you're in as requested, but why label things further?
Old 19-10-2018, 08:40   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
We have always flown the American flag for the last 30 years as well as the national flag of countries we have visited. It is partly protocol and partly a sense of American nationalism we embrace. Today it is fashionable among some cruisers, I believe, to deny their American roots and embrace some philosophical form of universalism. However, in a crisis, they would, undoubtedly, be the first to call the American embassy/Coast Guard for help. Good luck and safe sailing . . . Rognvald
Well, they did/do pay for those services. Why shouldn't they? Not calling for help if they need it doesn't mean they're independent. It means they're careless.

I suspect it has more to do with not being nationalistic. I don't personally feel any allegiance to the American flag. The New Colossus is much more inspiring to me. I blame McCarthy for getting "under god" added to the pledge. If you wanted the flag to be an inclusive, secular symbol for all Americans, maybe you shouldn't have injected religion into it (not you personally of course).

You might as well ask why most homes, even in "Red" states don't fly the flag. If I, like my neighbors, have spent all my life in Texas not doing that, then doing so on a boat seems a bit odd. I didn't suddenly become more nationalist. But if it's a requirement and other cruisers expect and appreciate it, then I wouldn't have a particular issue with it either.

Just my 2c.
Old 19-10-2018, 08:44   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
I’ve seen a few boats from Texas that fly the Texas state flag at the strb spreader no matter what state they are in. That’s so Texas lol.
Now that I can get behind.
Old 19-10-2018, 08:54   #36

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)

I was under the impression you had to fly your registration country flag by law (and the flag of the country you are sailing in). Is this not the case? I know that in Brazil you are obliged to fly the Brazilian flag on your vessel- and it has to be in good condition- under penalty of a fine.
Old 19-10-2018, 09:11   #37

Boat: Alerion Express 28

When I was backpacking through Europe (many years ago) many Americans would have a Canadian flag sewn on their gear because they felt they were better received by the locals. If anything I would think the situation today is even worse.
Old 19-10-2018, 09:25   #38

Quote: " I was STUNNED. As I recall, when probed all they would say is they were in northern Europe."

As it happens, I was once a citizen of just such a country. There is wisdom in remembering that flying the national flag of that country, in that country, could well, at one time in the recent past. have life terminating consequences!

And I believe Samuel Johnson, no less, had something to say about "inappropriate nationalism" at another time, long before that, when the world was also in turmoil.

So let's leave "nationalism" - that perverted form of patriotism - behind, and take note that when a ship displays a national flag it is NOT done as an expression of "nationalism", but as a means of identification leading to positive determination by the commanders of other ships, including men-of-war, of what rules and treaties govern the operation of that ship.

TP
Old 19-10-2018, 09:34   #39
cruiser

Boat: 53' Hatteras Cruising Yacht

Pirates
Old 19-10-2018, 09:41   #40

Boat: 1988 Wilbur 34

Living on the bank of and sailing Florida's ICW, we see many vessels transiting to the south for the winter season. Some carry no flag. My guess is they are U.S. registered vessels. But many identify themselves with the Canadian maple leaf. And we see an occasional French and, sometimes, German vessel. I believe these foreign visitors are as proud to carry their national emblems as much as, am I, to carry the stars and stripes. And I look at these passing meetings as an opportunity to wave a friendly greeting to our visitors.
Old 19-10-2018, 09:42   #41

Boat: Tayana 37

We never flew a flag. Never really saw the point. In the Philippines, before sailing to Japan, we were urged to fly one in Japan by many people who had sailed there so had one made by a street tailor at Subic Bay. It did make a difference, with many people coming out of the woodwork to befriend us. Have not flown a flag in the years since, but would if we headed back to Japan.
Old 19-10-2018, 10:07   #42

Boat: Bruce Roberts Ketch 40

Flying nautical flags is a tradition over 300 years old. It purpose is to communicate a condition or intent. The requirement to fly certain flags varies from country to country..even port to port.
The etiquette of nautical flags is pretty much international, and voluminous. I have a book on it on board for reference.

I personally enjoy displaying flags and consider it an integral part of my sailing / cruising experience.
I also have a large inventory of flags including a Jolly Roger for fun.

I proudly fly the Stars and Stripes, my country flag, but can envision places in the world where I would not fly it for safety reasons.
I enjoy meeting other cruisers and their flags tell me something about them before we meet. I actually seek out others who fly the same Sate Flag I do.
Old 19-10-2018, 10:11   #43

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackie Swart View Post
Flying our South African flag has had us meet fellow South African's that have either sailed a long route over the Atlantic or bought boats in the area and are now sailing. There are not many sailors from SA compared to other countries, so it's always nice to meet up.
It seems SAs often fly the flag of their dual citizenship, Dutch in my experience.
Years, 45yrs.+/- ago, I asked a couple of young men circumnavigating about it and the answer was the SA flag was not popular in some areas of the world. That has probably changed. But 16 yrs ago I bought a boat from a couple doing the same thing?
Old 19-10-2018, 10:27   #44

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

I feel the same way. I did not know it was a requirement to display a flag when cruising internationally. We have just cruised Florida. We flew a flag outside our house when Jeb Bush told Floridians after 9/11, we removed after his brother went into Iraq. I don't need to display a flag to prove I love my country (even when we screw up).
Old 19-10-2018, 10:37   #45

Boat: Pearson

I fly mine til it pukes, then replace, and replace, usually taylor made, usa👍

Tags
cruise, cruiser, flags