Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2014, 12:57   #256

Boat: 1902 Dutch Tjalk, 64'
Re: What is the current FL anchoring policy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKsailsolo View Post
And what happened to Destin Pass is a crime. That monstrous building on the edge of Highway 98 sucked all the charm out of approaching the Luckiest fishing village in the world. http://nbiproperties.mojoimage.net/w...518&w=960&zc=1
Yes, it is a crime. Florida should work harder at providing an ideal vista for it's cruising tourists, and worry less about what its residents see of them.
Neeltje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 13:18   #257
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
What is the current FL anchoring policy?

I don't think you get it. For those of us the have lived and grown up in the Panhandle, it's more of a "They paved paradise and put up a parking lot" kind of thing. Has nothing to do with vistas, cruisers etc., and has more to do with losing those quaint fishing type of places we all grew up with.
South Fl is moving North, and I'll miss places like Lanark Village, Sopchoppy and other places where many fished for a living, everybody waved as they drove by, and most knew each other as they grew up and went to school all within a few miles of there. Old rusty pickup trucks and people wearing white rubber boots have been replaced by Rolex wearing BMW drivers with New Jersey accents. Hint, they don't wave, they turn up their noses and scowl.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 13:47   #258

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeltje View Post
I've got a hard time relating to the "Florida Bashers" on this topic. Not only because most of the anchoring and political problems they're up in arms against would probably affect their State in a similar fashion had it this much water around it, but also because it's unjustified.
Yeah, cruisers hate Florida, that explains why there is a waiting list to get one of the 226 mooring balls in Boot Key Harbor right now.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 13:57   #259

Quote:
I've got a hard time relating to the "Florida Bashers" on this topic. Not only because most of the anchoring and political problems they're up in arms against would probably affect their State in a similar fashion had it this much water around it, but also because it's unjustified.

Most of you know that the State of Florida lives off of tourism, sugar, citrus fruit and cattle ranching (in that order).

Do you honestly think that Florida would risk alienating even a small portion of it's major income source to please a few waterfront property owners here and there?

If you really want to be "mistreated" as a tourist, go to Paris, Rome or Madrid next summer. Then we'll talk.

Jacques
People who disagree with you are "Florida Bashers"? I'd be much more impressed if people could discuss the issue without insults. If you have an actual point, I'd love to hear it.

The tourists who bring in the big tourism money are the ones who stay in waterfront hotels, pay 10% of their room cost in taxes, and eat in the downtown restaurants. I suppose you might even include the boaters who stay in the marina downtown. The cruisers anchored offshore aren't the primary generator of tourism dollars in Florida.

If you band together the boaters in Florida, however, you've got quite a coalition, and most have seen what happens when the government tries to solve a problem. It usually results in more regulation, higher taxes, and a different set of problems that require even more government intervention.

I've yet to hear an argument for this provision other than the desire to remove derelict boats, which I've pointed out could be better addressed with thoughtful reflection and legislation directly affecting derelict boats.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 14:30   #260
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Imagine the Keys before the Overseas Highway was built...

and - Who Drained the Everglades? | PERC – The Property and Environment Research Center

On the bright side, you don't need a compass or GPS to find Florida at night when returning from the Bahamas. The lights on the East Coast are visible for many miles, as a beacon beckoning one to Florida.

For me, I love cruising through Florida. I trust they will come up with a reasonable solution to their problems (anchoring related). No doubt, it is a growing problem, or there wouldn't be all this noise.

For us on the Texas/Louisiana Gulf Coast, there is little hope. The Gulf is a minefield, strewn with oil and gas rigs. It is not much better in the bays either. Environmentally, nothing short of a mess. The price of fueling America, I guess? At least (I'm not sure how) Florida has prevented the oil companies from littering their coastline. Good for them!

Back to anchoring anyone?

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 14:36   #261
RTB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
Yeah, cruisers hate Florida, that explains why there is a waiting list to get one of the 226 mooring balls in Boot Key Harbor right now.
I don't think anyone here has posted that they hate Florida. Maybe some here hate cruisers?

Ralph
Old 23-12-2014, 14:50   #262

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
I don't think anyone here has posted that they hate Florida. Maybe some here hate cruisers?

Ralph
Quote:
Hopefully they don't turn Abaco into another Floriduh.

Ralph
????

We certainly don't feel the love.
Old 23-12-2014, 15:58   #263

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I don't think you get it. For those of us the have lived and grown up in the Panhandle, it's more of a "They paved paradise and put up a parking lot" kind of thing. Has nothing to do with vistas, cruisers etc., and has more to do with losing those quaint fishing type of places we all grew up with.
South Fl is moving North, and I'll miss places like Lanark Village, Sopchoppy and other places where many fished for a living, everybody waved as they drove by, and most knew each other as they grew up and went to school all within a few miles of there. Old rusty pickup trucks and people wearing white rubber boots have been replaced by Rolex wearing BMW drivers with New Jersey accents. Hint, they don't wave, they turn up their noses and scowl.
Oh, I get it alright, and thank you for offering a slightly more expansive version of what I was alluding at. South Florida ceased to be "The Florida We Knew" a long time ago, while North East Florida has totally morphed in the 17 years I've lived here, and while I suppose the same can be said of just about any area that's got a knack for attracting tourists and population shifts, I don't see many forum members bashing Bangor Maine. Let me guess ; could it be that more cruisers visit Florida?

Jacques
Old 23-12-2014, 16:06   #264
RTB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
????

We certainly don't feel the love.
Who is "we", Buckwheat? It's Floriduh, because the people running your state can't figure out how to do their job. Otherwise, there wouldn't be this long thead that we are posting on currently, besides a few more-

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ls-137035.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...le-136846.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ay-128759.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ct-135390.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ida-70010.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ida-24150.html

I'll stop for now, but happy to spend a few more minutes looking. That last link above was about anchoring in Florida. Note it was in 2009, and still, we are having the same discussions.

I noticed some unhappy Florida residents posting on those threads, not just visiting cruisers (just like in this thread). I even have a few boating friends that reside in Florida. Next time man up and say I, not we. I've seen some of your posts that offer invalid information. Others do the same - just like the post earlier in this thread about the Bridge of Lions openings. It is not on demand, but restricted to the hour and half hour. It does not open at 8am, noon, and 5pm.

Ҥ117.261 Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway from St. Marys River to Key Largo.
(d) Bridge of Lions (SR A1A) bridge, mile 777.9 at St. Augustine. The draw shall open on signal; except that, from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. the draw need open only on the hour and half-hour; however, the draw need not open at 8 a.m., 12 noon, and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday except Federal holidays. From 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Saturdays, Sundays and Federal holidays the draw need only open on the hour and half-hour.”

Sorry for going walkabout for a moment, but reading mis-information on any thread really bugs me.

Ralph
Old 23-12-2014, 16:26   #265

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
People who disagree with you are "Florida Bashers"? I'd be much more impressed if people could discuss the issue without insults. If you have an actual point, I'd love to hear it.

I've yet to hear an argument for this provision other than the desire to remove derelict boats, which I've pointed out could be better addressed with thoughtful reflection and legislation directly affecting derelict boats.
I wasn't trying to impress. I was calling "Florida Bashers" those who systematically sneer at Florida's legislature and it's voters for their ineptitude in keeping cruisers happy. If it sounds like an insult to you, I can only surmise you're one of them. Pistols, at dawn.

My point? I think it was perfectly clear. Read again.

Jacques
Old 23-12-2014, 16:30   #266
RTB

Quote:
Pistols, at dawn.
LOL!

Ralph
Old 23-12-2014, 17:24   #267

Quote:
I wasn't trying to impress. I was calling "Florida Bashers" those who systematically sneer at Florida's legislature and it's voters for their ineptitude in keeping cruisers happy. If it sounds like an insult to you, I can only surmise you're one of them. Pistols, at dawn.

My point? I think it was perfectly clear. Read again.

Jacques
That's funny, because you definitely leave an impression. There certainly is no reason to read your post again, as there was hardly justification for reading it the first time.

As for a duel, if you shoot a pistol anything like you post, you'd be missing a foot after you fired, even if your opponent had the mercy not to shoot you.

The one common trait of the Florida legislature seems to be that the members can't be too informed regarding the details of the issue they're representing, but they have to be absolutely dogmatic about their position. I believe the average age is 75. Come to think of it, some people here might be members.

In spite of all the fun of exchanging insults, your rationale for this legislation is a bit weak. Certainly someone who agrees with the legislation has a reason, right? I mean, apart from the derelict boats and the "I like my $15 balls*", which I find to be a thin rationale for handing over waterway authority to municipalities. If that's all you've got, really, then I guess we can leave it at that.

*mooring
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 17:32   #268

Quote:
Who is "we", Buckwheat? It's Floriduh, because the people running your state can't figure out how to do their job. Otherwise, there wouldn't be this long thead that we are posting on currently, besides a few more-

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ls-137035.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...le-136846.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ay-128759.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ct-135390.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ida-70010.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ida-24150.html

I'll stop for now, but happy to spend a few more minutes looking. That last link above was about anchoring in Florida. Note it was in 2009, and still, we are having the same discussions.

I noticed some unhappy Florida residents posting on those threads, not just visiting cruisers (just like in this thread). I even have a few boating friends that reside in Florida. Next time man up and say I, not we. I've seen some of your posts that offer invalid information. Others do the same - just like the post earlier in this thread about the Bridge of Lions openings. It is not on demand, but restricted to the hour and half hour. It does not open at 8am, noon, and 5pm.

Ҥ117.261 Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway from St. Marys River to Key Largo.
(d) Bridge of Lions (SR A1A) bridge, mile 777.9 at St. Augustine. The draw shall open on signal; except that, from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. the draw need open only on the hour and half-hour; however, the draw need not open at 8 a.m., 12 noon, and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday except Federal holidays. From 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Saturdays, Sundays and Federal holidays the draw need only open on the hour and half-hour.”

Sorry for going walkabout for a moment, but reading mis-information on any thread really bugs me.

Ralph
I give up, you are right. Florida hasn't a clue. That's why there's no oil rigs on the coast and you are still free to anchor in 99+% of the coastline. Maybe cruisers should head for the Lonely Star state.... :roll eyes:

And CF is the pinnacle for all in politics.
Old 23-12-2014, 17:37   #269

Quote:
No worries. I'm a lousy shot too. Probably because I close my eyes and try to cover my ears before pulling the trigger.

On our run from Daytona to St. Augustine previously, we ran out of daylight. There is an "anchorage" shown on the west side of the ICW, before the State Road 312 Bridge. I tried to find a spot there, but with skinny water around and derelict boats with 4-6 anchors out, finally gave up dropping the hook. We ended up anchoring just before the bridge, and went in the next morning. Is the anchorage still filled with all of those boats?

Ralph
If you can still shoot with both of your eyes closed and both of your hands over your ears, I think I'll pass on the duel.

Yup, that anchorage was still quite occupied last time I looked, but from what I've heard, the Law came down on those who were beaching their dinghies on the strip of beach south of the bridge because some were also dumping their garbage and parking their cars there, and the owner didn't appreciate. Go figure.

Jacques
Old 23-12-2014, 18:26   #270

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
That's funny, because you definitely leave an impression. There certainly is no reason to read your post again, as there was hardly justification for reading it the first time.

As for a duel, if you shoot a pistol anything like you post, you'd be missing a foot after you fired, even if your opponent had the mercy not to shoot you.

The one common trait of the Florida legislature seems to be that the members can't be too informed regarding the details of the issue they're representing, but they have to be absolutely dogmatic about their position. I believe the average age is 75. Come to think of it, some people here might be members.

In spite of all the fun of exchanging insults, your rationale for this legislation is a bit weak. Certainly someone who agrees with the legislation has a reason, right? I mean, apart from the derelict boats and the "I like my $15 balls*", which I find to be a thin rationale for handing over waterway authority to municipalities. If that's all you've got, really, then I guess we can leave it at that.

*mooring
Well, pooh on you!

I must admit that for an anonymous member of this forum, you sure know how to sling it. Might I ask where you're coming from with this diatribe?

I haven't been on this forum for very long myself, but when I smell BS, I react. So sue me.

Jacques

Tags
anchor, anchoring, current